Feeling disheartened - L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbee

Reaction score
Just as I thought I'd 'cracked it' with the l &P and able to produce good lasting enhancements, perfected my prep etc. I have got a text from a client saying the nails on her left hand are lifting.
I honestly dont know what else I can do.
She doesnt work with water much and she is in her 40's so no greasy nailbeds. I thought she would be perfect with enhancements. Not too long either. She is used to going to NSS, so the only possible explanation is that she is heavy handed (hence the left hand only) and she is used to them being more durable. But WHY would they lift?
I have some CND retention & powder, would this make a difference to the NSI I am using perhaps?
I'm getting to the point I dont want to get new clients as the small client database I do have, are all ok with their nails for 2-3 weeks.
Does everyone get this, the odd client who gets lifting?

Is she left handed? x

Not every single client is going to be ok with nsi l&p I have one who can't wear it at all, whatever I do it lifts within a week, doing nsi Gel she is fine goes 2/3 weeks no prob.

So don't be disheartened and don't compare with the nss salon, their l&p is like rock a lot of the time and doesn't compare to a good quality l&p

I'm frightened to ask by text! I dont want her to think I am blaming her in any way, as I would rather see them first, so I can look at her right hand and compare. If her right hand is perfect, then I would pose the question 'are you left handed' but I think if I ask by text without looking at them both, it sounds a bit like I am trying to shift the blame. I would sooner keep her a happy customer and look first. She hasnt mentioned her right hand though, and if I ask by text she may start to pick & pull so its not so obviously her left hand - so I would rather see for myself if you get me.

I'm frightened to ask by text! I dont want her to think I am blaming her in any way, as I would rather see them first, so I can look at her right hand and compare. If her right hand is perfect, then I would pose the question 'are you left handed' but I think if I ask by text without looking at them both, it sounds a bit like I am trying to shift the blame. I would sooner keep her a happy customer and look first. She hasnt mentioned her right hand though, and if I ask by text she may start to pick & pull so its not so obviously her left hand - so I would rather see for myself if you get me.
You are right. Look at them with your own eyes and try to work through this together. That is what being a good nail technician is all about.

It is not unusual for clients to have problems when transitioning from NSS nails to less deleterious products and usually because of the damage caused to their nails. Was this a brand new set or did you use the new products over the old?

Last edited:
Ask her to send a picture message most phones have email now so ask her to email one and wont cost the client any thing then u can see how much they have lifted :) dont be disheartened there will be some reason behind it and if youve done your absolute best you should be proud and some people have high expectations when they have been to NSS salons and had such a hard wearing (damaging) product applied to the nails. Hugs x

hugs & advice gratefully received !
Her nails were free from products, and looked in good condition.
She is used to going to NSS, but has not had them on for a while. She did comment that she was impressed as her nails felt very 'light'. - and none were wonky!
They came out really well too, hardly any filing needed and she was delighted with them, she had nice small nails.
I guess at the worst I will just have to either give her money back (which I am fine with) or offer to redo and I will use the CND retention+ instead of my NSI and explain that if these dont last either, unfortunately she may just have to go back to the NSS, as I dont have this problem with any other clients and you cant get any better than CND or NSI. Im stuck.

I wouldn't offer her a refund. Personally I would inspect her nails first and if it looked like application was the problem I would repair/re do no charge.

I've just spoken to her, and she says she will be ok with an infill on Monday so the lifting cant be so bad that they are hanging off or anything.
I am planning to infill with CND retention+ and what pink should I use? is this ok over NSI sheer pink? I normally only work on product free nails. I never infill over someone elses products.

I've just spoken to her, and she says she will be ok with an infill on Monday so the lifting cant be so bad that they are hanging off or anything.
I am planning to infill with CND retention+ and what pink should I use? is this ok over NSI sheer pink? I normally only work on product free nails. I never infill over someone elses products.

There is no problem rebalancing over another product .. Use the CND sheer pink or intense sheer pink.

I took on an ex NSS lady a couple of months ago. Yes my acrylics might not be quite as durable as NSS rock but wow do they look better.

Everyone of her nails at the free edge where the NSS is growing up the nail has turned a disgusting yellow colour.

All the infilled area in CND retention is a beautiful pink and no lifting :biggrin:

No moans coming from her lol. And if you are wondering why I didn't soak off I don't have a spare year so we decided to grow them out to prevent damage.

Good luck Hun. It will come right in the end. Xxxxx

Is she fiddling with the prepped nails before you can get the l&p on?

I had a similar problem and discovered the lady was rubbing her thumb randomly on the other nails on her left hand while I was working on the right. I tend to start on my left (their right) and work across, pinky to thumb, so while I was holding her right hand, she was mucking up the prep on my left and we were getting lifting.

It might not be this at all of course but just a thought! So annoiying when you can't work out what it is though. xx

I've took everything on board and I'm going on Monday to infill them, she said an infill would be fine as there is not horrific lifting.
I will use the CND sheer pink on them as suggested and if this doesnt work well I'm blowed if I know whats up with them.
I always dread the NSS clients as they expect miracles with their nails even if they have their hands in water lots.
I always try and explain this, plus the education of breathing in the dust & EMA but sometimes I just feel like I cannot compete.
Hurry up and get some flippin regulations in place I say!

Latest posts

Back