Feeling sad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah22

Reaction score
Hey geeks.

I'd appreciate it if you could all give me feedback on this.

I'm a self employed beauty therapist and have had my own beauty business in a hair salon coming up on 3 years. I don't have any employees. In that time, I've never taken a proper holiday or time off apart from the allocated ones, Christmas etc.

I got married last November and was off for 3 weeks. I warned all of my clients months in advance of the dates I would be off, and everyone booked in for just before I left and right after I came back. It was perfect for my nail clients as most go 3 weeks between appointments anyway, my other beauty clients obviously had to go elsewhere whilst I was off, but have all came back to me since I got back.

I have 2 fantastic nail clients who'd come in every 3 weeks without fail for nails (and when needed, have tinting and waxing). They're related to each other and have been loyal regular clients for the past 2 years. When I told them the dates I was going to be off, they explained that they'd have to go elsewhere while I was away as they had an important function to go to. They were really apologetic and promised me they'd be back when I came back to work. I completely understood and told them that. A few days before my wedding, one of them came into the salon with a wedding card and gift for me, and they both sent me lovely messages via text and facebook on my wedding day.

I've been back to work since the end of November... And they haven't came back for nails, tinting or waxing 😭 One of them came in for a spray tan in early December and showed me her nails. They'd been done with Bio Sculpture and she was complaining because one of them had came off. It was her work Christmas party the next day and she said she was going to paint her nail to get her through. However, she posted photos of her party on Facebook a couple of days after, and had a brand new set of nails!! Her mum was the same... They're obviously going elsewhere now, and I'd completely be able to understand if their nails weren't lasting etc, but they both were!!

I can't figure it out. I know and appreciate that we don't have the right to clients loyalty or "own" them but I just don't understand. When they were coming back for their maintenance appointments, their nails were perfect apart from the regrowth. They always commented on how friendly I was whilst maintaining my professionalism and loved how I have such a variety of colours and styles. One in particular always commented on how she felt she could talk to me about anything and she was constantly asking me for advice on recommendations for wedding things as her son is getting married very soon.

I take everything so personally and I know I need to grow a thicker skin, but I'm absolutely gutted 😭

Do any other self employed geeks have any advice on what to do to retain clients when they take some time off?

Apologies for the essay xx

to be honest if you have been going 3 years i would have thought you would have taken someone else on by now even if it were only part time so that they could cover your holidays also???

i would say that they have found something they like elsewhere so you would probably have to put a really good offer on to try and entice them back xx

I know how you feel. I've been working mobile for 10 years and during that time a handful of my favourite regulars have decided to go elsewhere. I don't know why it is, I think if they were happy with you and you had a great rapport with them, the underlying factor could be price??? Dunno.

I'm as baffled as you are when it happens. And gutted. I've read on here about loyalty cards, giving a freebie or fundamental discount when so many treatments have been done. That might be an incentive for clients to come back to you.

I need to get on with it myself. I'm thinking book 6 treatments, get 7th treatment half price or save it for 9 treatments and get 10th free.

I've given clients the name of another local tech then offered my client 50% off their next appointment back with me again to try and hang on to them.... it works!

I think you have to learn that we are in business and not to take things so personally.

We all occasionally lose clients for any number of reasons but you just can't take it personally otherwise it will knock your confidence. It sounds really unlikely that you have done anything to upset or offend them. You had a well earned holiday and did everything you could to accommodate your clients.

These clients may or may not come back to you one day, but there will be others around the corner. Chin up, don't feel sad about it - business is business :lol: - and stop looking at their nails on facebook :lol::lol:

I keep thinking about taking somebody on Souz, but I'm a bit scared!! I need to look into it all, to be honest I haven't a clue about all the HM Revenue stuff and that's what scares me!! Aside from that if I lost business because the therapist was a bit sloppy, I'd probably be in a worse state than what I am now lol. But that's a great idea.

Yes, it's appearing so 😔 What kind of offer do you mean? Do you suggest I send out a voucher with a discount etc? I haven't contacted them because I don't want to appear pushy...

Thanks for your reply xx

I know how you feel. I've been working mobile for 10 years and during that time a handful of my favourite regulars have decided to go elsewhere. I don't know why it is, I think if they were happy with you and you had a great rapport with them, the underlying factor could be price??? Dunno.

I'm as baffled as you are when it happens. And gutted. I've read on here about loyalty cards, giving a freebie or fundamental discount when so many treatments have been done. That might be an incentive for clients to come back to you.

I need to get on with it myself. I'm thinking book 6 treatments, get 7th treatment half price or save it for 9 treatments and get 10th free.

I charge between £21-£25 for nails. In my area, that's middle of the road. That's an idea, thank you 😊 xx

I've given clients the name of another local tech then offered my client 50% off their next appointment back with me again to try and hang on to them.... it works!

I did this blossom... One of my tan clients is a nail technician and she's fab. I gave both of my clients her number and my highest recommendation... And they didn't contact her xx

I think you have to learn that we are in business and not to take things so personally.

We all occasionally lose clients for any number of reasons but you just can't take it personally otherwise it will knock your confidence. It sounds really unlikely that you have done anything to upset or offend them. You had a well earned holiday and did everything you could to accommodate your clients.

These clients may or may not come back to you one day, but there will be others around the corner. Chin up, don't feel sad about it - business is business :lol: - and stop looking at their nails on facebook :lol::lol:

Awww Lucy thank you, that's made me feel so much better. Unfortunately I always take things personally and it does knock my confidence!! I really need to learn not to. Thanks for your kind words xx

Aww sarah, its their loss!! And on that note, I need to rebook with you, my nails are perfect and no biting either!! :lol:

They have found someone who is either closer or cheaper.

Solution
Send them a note. An invitation. Tell them that loosing a client is like loosing a friend and let them know that your door is always open and there will always be a welcome.

A note is not being pushy. Who knows, They may want to return but may now be embarrassed themselves. A note will be just the ice breaker they may need.

You do not have to nor should you offer any kind of discount. Just a warm invitation to return. We kept a close eye on all our clients and if anyone did not turn up for 6 weeks then we sent an invitation. I would say. That 50% of clients returned after getting our note.

Aww sarah, its their loss!! And on that note, I need to rebook with you, my nails are perfect and no biting either!! :lol:

Oh great, I just replied to your message. I'm glad your nails are perfect :) xx

They have found someone who is either closer or cheaper.

Solution
Send them a note. An invitation. Tell them that loosing a client is like loosing a friend and let them know that your door is always open and there will always be a welcome.

A note is not being pushy. Who knows, They may want to return but may now be embarrassed themselves. A note will be just the ice breaker they may need.

You do not have to nor should you offer any kind of discount. Just a warm invitation to return. We kept a close eye on all our clients and if anyone did not turn up for 6 weeks then we sent an invitation. I would say. That 50% of clients returned after getting our note.

Thanks so much Geeg. I'll definitely try that, thank you for your advice xx

I agree with sending a note out to clients but I would not get too upset with clients that wander. Sometimes it has nothing to do with us, sometimes they might like a change/money issues/fall out of routine etc. I have just had a client return to me after a two year break! One of her friends is a client and if she was mentioned I would just pass on my regards - I never questioned her absence. You never know what will occur so please do not take it so personally.

The letter I wrote went something like the following. Not pushy, just warm and inviting. People seemed to appreciate it and it really DID work. The longer you wait, the more awkward the situation can become.

Dear xxx

I hope you have enjoyed the holiday season. I have missed seeing you in the salon. I know you always enjoyed your nail services with me and I also enjoyed having you as a client. Clients are like friends and it is always sad to loose a client for whatever reason.

Therefore I would like to cordially invite you to re-visit the salon in 2013 and also to assure you that there will be a warm welcome for you should you like to return and resume your nail services with me.

Wishing you a a very happy new year,

Xxxxxx

HTH

I do something similar to Geeg, but by text, it goes along the lines of 'Hi Sarah, just realised I haven't seen you since before Christmas, hope you had a fab time and wishing you loads of luck for 2013. Hope the kids/dog/cat/job/etc is going well, looking forward to seeing you soon, Trin xx'

Even if they don't text back and book, like Geeg says, the ice has been broken, it's not pushy, it's just reconnecting with no strings.

Go for it, you might be surprised what they say

It's a hard lesson to learn, but they are not friends, they are clients no matter how close we become. It's a lesson I learned the hard way and it hurt, a lot :hug:

The letter I wrote went something like the following. Not pushy, just warm and inviting. People seemed to appreciate it and it really DID work. The longer you wait, the more awkward the situation can become.

Dear xxx

I hope you have enjoyed the holiday season. I have missed seeing you in the salon. I know you always enjoyed your nail services with me and I also enjoyed having you as a client. Clients are like friends and it is always sad to loose a client for whatever reason.

Therefore I would like to cordially invite you to re-visit the salon in 2013 and also to assure you that there will be a warm welcome for you should you like to return and resume your nail services with me.

Wishing you a a very happy new year,

Xxxxxx

HTH

Thank you Geeg, that's fantastic!! 😊 Xx

I agree with sending a note out to clients but I would not get too upset with clients that wander. Sometimes it has nothing to do with us, sometimes they might like a change/money issues/fall out of routine etc. I have just had a client return to me after a two year break! One of her friends is a client and if she was mentioned I would just pass on my regards - I never questioned her absence. You never know what will occur so please do not take it so personally.

I think that's my issue... I take everything to heart!! Really need to stop it lol. That's great that your c,isn't came back. Did she mention why she'd stopped coming? Xx

I do something similar to Geeg, but by text, it goes along the lines of 'Hi Sarah, just realised I haven't seen you since before Christmas, hope you had a fab time and wishing you loads of luck for 2013. Hope the kids/dog/cat/job/etc is going well, looking forward to seeing you soon, Trin xx'

Even if they don't text back and book, like Geeg says, the ice has been broken, it's not pushy, it's just reconnecting with no strings.

Go for it, you might be surprised what they say

It's a hard lesson to learn, but they are not friends, they are clients no matter how close we become. It's a lesson I learned the hard way and it hurt, a lot :hug:

Thanks Trinity 😊 xx

I think that's my issue... I take everything to heart!! Really need to stop it lol. That's great that your c,isn't came back. Did she mention why she'd stopped coming? Xx

She said it was due to family issues apparently an elderly relative died. I think it is the break in routine which can cause this - like in your case the appts were interrupted. I do not get upset about this sort of thing now, but I do not like it if people just don't turn up or treat you with no respect before they leave - you sometimes get the signs that things have changed. No matter how friendly I am I still remember that they came as a client and that they are free to leave whenever they choose.

Latest posts

Back