Feeling uncomfortable in client's house

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBB2013

Reaction score
I recently started out with nails and have been working mobile. I have had 5 new clients and 2 of them I have at times felt a little uncomfortable. It seems to be the two houses in the 'rough' areas. I'm not too bothered about the area specially and the ladies are lovely but it's their blokes. One lady is in a relationship with someone pumped up on steroids and seems like he can be a bit of a nutter, although I haven't met him. Last night I ended up in the middle of a domestic at a new client. Her bloke had been violent the previous night and had been thrown out she didn't want him back in the house but he managed to get back in. So in the middle of having her nails done she was screaming at him to get our the house etc. As I haven't been doing it long it takes me 3hrs for a set with gel polish so I was just sat in the middle. Is this standard or have I been unlucky with my first few clients? X

I've never had this, so hopefully you are just unlucky! I do work full time in another area and do nails evenings/weekends, so I can be fussy about my clients -and I am! I do try not to judge people, and it's possible to go to the nicest area and get an awful client, but I do look on street view at the address whilst I'm on the phone with them, and if I'm not happy leaving my car there, lugging around my valuable kit, and walking to the house alone, then I will be fully booked (unfortunately!!!). My car, kit etc is valuable but my life is the most valuable of all!! I know we shouldn't judge others based purely on where they live, but it's not just the client - it's the neighbours, their partners etc - as you've found out. I do try to take referrals only, and the couple of people who have found me on yell.com have been lovely thankfully.

There are always signs up in shops saying 'we have the right to work in a pleasant environment without verbal abuse' - and we are entitled to the same! Hope that makes you feel better xxx

Cheers, it makes me feel better that maybe I have just dropped unlucky lol. I suppose I am finding that the ladies who I flyer, which are the nicer areas either go to salons or aren't bothered. It's the ladies with less income that can't drive have got kids and need someone to come to them. My husband is obviously very concerned about my safety and he has a copy of the exact address I have gone to and the appointment time. Since I'm just starting out I would like to get to the point where I can be fussy, but I don't want to turn ppl away. There was a lovely vibe in the house until he turned up. It's sad and I feel guilty about it cos the actual client was lovely and I would like to go back, but don't know if I'm being stupid if she wants her infills doing? X

Cheers, it makes me feel better that maybe I have just dropped unlucky lol. I suppose I am finding that the ladies who I flyer, which are the nicer areas either go to salons or aren't bothered. It's the ladies with less income that can't drive have got kids and need someone to come to them. My husband is obviously very concerned about my safety and he has a copy of the exact address I have gone to and the appointment time. Since I'm just starting out I would like to get to the point where I can be fussy, but I don't want to turn ppl away. There was a lovely vibe in the house until he turned up. It's sad and I feel guilty about it cos the actual client was lovely and I would like to go back, but don't know if I'm being stupid if she wants her infills doing? X

There's no price on your safety I guess. I do the same with my hubby! Hopefully you can find a time to visit her when he won't be there xx

There's no price on your safety I guess. I do the same with my hubby! Hopefully you can find a time to visit her when he won't be there xx

Is this something you have encountered before ? X

Is this something you have encountered before ? X

I do have one client who has recently separated from her hubby - still wears wedding rings and very amicable but highly uncomfortable when he drops by and I'm there, so I just politely asked if we could arrange a time when we would be undisturbed as once I start a nail service I can't stop! This seems to have worked so far xx

I hate going to a clients house where I see children not being looked after properly :(

Luckily all the kids I have seen have totally been looked after and are super cute x can't decide what to do really. Lovely ladies just don't like being put in the middle x

I'd have been concerned about her safety but I'd have left and doubt I'd rebook. X

Latest posts

Back