Fibreglass driving me nuts!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiksilver_206

Reaction score
Is it just me or is fibreglass impossible to master! I am qualified in gel, acrylic, mani and pedi etc but want to be a full service tech so I am training to do fibreglass as well. I just can't get to grips with it! I find it sooo fiddly, the products make my eyes sting! I can never completely get the fibreglass to disappear etc etc. Anyone else feel like this? Any tips? Please help before I go mad! :cry:

what fibreglass system are you using?

quiksilver_206 said:
Is it just me or is fibreglass impossible to master! I am qualified in gel, acrylic, mani and pedi etc but want to be a full service tech so I am training to do fibreglass as well. I just can't get to grips with it! I find it sooo fiddly, the products make my eyes sting! I can never completely get the fibreglass to disappear etc etc. Anyone else feel like this? Any tips? Please help before I go mad! :cry:

its only fiddly hunny until you get to grips with your routine
as for stinging your eyes, are you sure you not using too much product (i had this prob when i first started with the fabric#) use less, the stinging goes away, you have to remember also that with the fabric# system - less is more
as for the fabric (fibreglass) disapearing, you have to use your bond, very slowly, dont just slap it on, you need to work the bond into the fabric so that it disappears

hope that helps and im sure if i got owt wrong someone will put me right

quiksilver_206 said:

Fibreglass oh you either love it or hate it lol.... I love it....
Fiddly gets better with practice, you soon wont even think about those little strips, you will just cut them automaticly the right size and place them jsut prefectly.... practice is the key here...
Don't sit right over the resin, the vapours will rise and will make your eyes water..... use a desk with an extraction filter, this will help to draw the vapours downwards....good ventilation is a must......let the fibreglass and resin do their stuff before you activate, don't touch the fibreglass with your fingers, contamination will reduce resin saturation any contamination will form a barrier and will stop full saturation.... pat the mesh into place with a backing strip....
Check this tutorial out... it is for generic Fibreglass and Silk and may help you a little:

[thread=4626]Fibreglass and Silk![/thread]

HTH

Nailsinlondon1 said:
, don't touch the fibreglass with your fingers

that s the thing if you contaminate the fabric with dust or body oil (not sure how to call it ) the fabric will show through the resin

for your eyes maybe safety glasses would work
just try not to stay too close or too much upon it
i think it s better to make thinner layers and add maybe an extra one than putting too much product anyway i don t know if it s the reason for the vapors
anyway that s the first technic i ve learned and i like it
well i like it better without the fabric i m just lazy sometimes :green:

having the correct posture will help with the vapours, don't work with your face directly over the products, due to using resins it would be advisable to wear safety glasses or even normal glasses as there's always the possibility of getting resin in your eye from unplanned accidents.
you don't mention your system in your profile, have you had any classes in fibreglass application?
making sure you're shown and taught the correct techniques for your chosen fibreglass system will help immensly when it comes to application.

Had problems in the begining in it but love ibreglass out of all the systems, if you over spray then this can make your eyes sting but learn to sit back a bit and keep it at arms length when spraying, keep at it.x

I always found that the fibreglass showed through too so now I use silk as it's a finer mesh and easier to use.

R

ladybgemini said:
I always found that the fibreglass showed through too so now I use silk as it's a finer mesh and easier to use.

R

Fiberglass only shows when it has been applied incorrectly!! My fiber NEVER shows at all when I do wraps so yours shouldn't either..

It is all a matter of technique and if you don't have the correct technique, then go and get taught how to master the system because it is very easy ,,, makes beautiful nail enhancements and is the most natural looking of all enhancement systems when done by a skillful technician.

As for fiddly ... that is also all down to technique and if it seems fiddly to you, then you haven't been taught how to work the routine in the most efficient way possible.

When I do silk wraps I always find that the mesh shows on the white, not on the pink. Now maybe that is down to my technique and probably the fact that I only ever used fibreglass in my training and since then have used and preferred silk as I find it easier to work with.

I can only assume that you need a different technique when applying the resin over the fibreglass as opposed to the silk as I never have a problem with silk.

Also, at the time of using fibreglass I was not using Fabric# which I now use so may find that I don't have the same problem, I have just not tried fiberglass since.

R

Latest posts

Back