Fibreglass repair and Shellac. Fibreglass fraying

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Nails

Reaction score
:eek:

Hi geeks

Could someone help me. A client I went to today had a split just below the free edge near the hypernychium. I decided to repair with fibreglass then shellac over the top. I cut out a piece of fibreglass to fit the whole nail then started to apply shellac base coat, I tried to be very gentle but down the side Walls the fibreglass started to fray. Subsequently the finished look was horrible. I used the edge fibreglass. What could I have done to make the fibreglass sit snug to the nail.
Cheers guys x

I've had exactly the same problem. It was a nightmare because she had red! Since then I've made sure to keep a free edge down the sides to try and stop it happening again. Much better now! There will be some much more qualified geeks along soon to advise you more though! Hth xx

I have done it with the nail resin and activator first, file, and apply shellac, no problems.

I've had exactly the same problem. It was a nightmare because she had red! Since then I've made sure to keep a free edge down the sides to try and stop it happening again. Much better now! There will be some much more qualified geeks along soon to advise you more though! Hth xx

Lol snap.

I've even watched the fingernail fixers DVD again and she really scrubs the base coat and hers doesn't fray. I was really gentle. Xx

I have done it with the nail resin and activator first, file, and apply shellac, no problems.

I will have to contact my insurance about whether I can use that. I've never done full fibreglass before. Cheers tho Hun x

Wondered if silk frayed less or would it just be The Edge is only good with the whole system??

I know Holly uses backscratchers but you have to order at least £40 worth of products at one time. I'm trying to keep my costs down at the moment because I've got more CND training coming up. That's what I really want to do. But this client really suffers with splits on a regular basis on certain nails but only wants shellac. Help!!!!! Xx

I'm sure the stuff I bought was The Edge, as it was the only one available in my local suppliers. I was guided by Holly's video and didn't have any problems. I made the application easier for myself by cutting a piece that didn't cover the whole nail. It lasted and did the job well.

I'm sure the stuff I bought was The Edge, as it was the only one available in my local suppliers. I was guided by Holly's video and didn't have any problems. I made the application easier for myself by cutting a piece that didn't cover the whole nail. It lasted and did the job well.

Lol

Oh dear perhaps it's just me then! I think I might get some resin and activator and try that instead. If I can stop the peeling then perhaps her nails will grow out stronger. Cheers hun x

Maybe I just got lucky?! It was the only time I've ever done it, so have nothing to compare it to. I just remember pulling the skin back at the side wall and aligning it as far over, but still on the nail, as I could. I did the same with the base coat.

I wouldn't have tried it without Hollys video though. :)

I think I might try silk I'm sure I read somewhere that it doesn't fray as much.

Has anyone tried Gelish restructuring soak off gel under shellac. Please don't shoot me for asking this!! I know you are not meant to mix systems. It's just that I love shellac and can't afford to start another system yet!

Xx

Wondered if silk frayed less or would it just be The Edge is only good with the whole system??

I know Holly uses backscratchers but you have to order at least £40 worth of products at one time. I'm trying to keep my costs down at the moment because I've got more CND training coming up. That's what I really want to do. But this client really suffers with splits on a regular basis on certain nails but only wants shellac. Help!!!!! Xx

I would try your client with 2 coats of topcoat as you say she has regular splits. I have two clients that are hard on their nails (workwise) and an ex-nailbiter who has really weak free edges - I put two coats of topcoat on these ladies and they have gone from not lasting 2 weeks to lasting 3 weeks between appointments. HTH's x

If you want to use gel and silk/f g. Try Michelle Porter they produce this system.

I am so glad this thread has come up, I have 3 clients who have terrible splitting nails, they adore Shellac but it's the same nails everytime which is causing the shellac to move. I had read about fibreglass but I have no idea where to start, both learning and where to buy? I don't want to be out alot of money as it will be few people I'll offer the service to but I'm looking for an idea of how much you charge for this service, is it per nail and where can I learn? Is it something I can buy a form of at suppliers to try out and experiment and what else would I need?
Thank you SS

I would try your client with 2 coats of topcoat as you say she has regular splits. I have two clients that are hard on their nails (workwise) and an ex-nailbiter who has really weak free edges - I put two coats of topcoat on these ladies and they have gone from not lasting 2 weeks to lasting 3 weeks between appointments. HTH's x

Hi Buffy

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I already do this! I've just bought psome silk to see if this holds together better. Might just be me being heavy handed with the fibreglass. She also suffers with terrible peeling. Bless her she just loves shellac so much. Xxx

If you want to use gel and silk/f g. Try Michelle Porter they produce this system.

Thanks Michelle

I will look into this. I've just been to my local beauty shop and purchased some silk wrap plus resin and activator. I'm going to gIve that a try first.

I won't stop til I sort this out for her lol.

Latest posts

Back