Files - do you bin, give or sanitise?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smiler13334

#Nailartistic_me
Reaction score
Hi all

My friend was told that it is soon to be law, that a new nail file must be used on every Client? anyone else heard this?

My friend and l have always done this by giving the Clients the file depending on the grit, or throwing it away.

In my mind there are some things we can't see or find out while doing the consultations, so to be that little bit more careful of preventing cross infection that is what we do.

Do you agree?

think it is a waste of money?

What do you guys do?

I use Soft Touch 100/180 files that cost about $26 per 50 (CAD) so about 50 cents each. They are great!!!

It would take me about 1 hr a week to sanitize, spry and dry them and all so I'd rather do 1 more manicure a week and files are paid for!

I use new file for each client, they also come in foil wrapper, so I put it back in the foil and give it to the client at the end of the visit...or I throw it out.

I don't like using dull files...drives me nuts LOL

These files are cheap but the quality is great.
I foud that the reusable files that cost about $1.50 here you can only use 2-3 times anyway...

Hi there,

What I do is when a client comes to me, the file i use for them i then put in a small resealable plastics bag and put it with their record card. That way i'm not throwing away files on a regular basis and also only using one file per client.
The only draw back is you need a large drawer/filing cabinet to keep them all in.

I find this works for me.
Amanda aka Lily:biggrin:

I wash and sanitise my files - it is just something I have always done - I wash them - well wet scrub them with anti bac liquid and then air dry. Then I Chlorispray the files before each client - I tried brushing the dust off then spraying and when they were dry you could see the white marks from previous use - I didnt like that.

Obviously if I cut anyone then all files and buffers used on that client will be put in the bin.

I use every abrasive until itis dull and then throw it away (every 2-3 clients). I brush out all dust with a stiff brush in between every client, and then spray sanitize with chlorispray.

I think it is complete 'over kill' to use fresh abrasives for each client. I don't know about you guys, but I tend to only be filing plastic!! What is unsanitary about that? I do not make a habit of filing the client!!

Obviously if I abraded the client in any way I would toss the abrasive in the bin.

I agree with Geeg on this i only throw them away if i cause a cut, (which is extremely rare) otherwise i sanitise each one thoroughly before using it on a new client.

Most files are reasonably priced anyway and i find the 240 grit files i use don't last that long anyway.

well here in texas its law...we have to use new boards or disenfect.so we use new files on every client as well as disposable foot pads for our foot files . i know its a bit much....but here theres so much concern about salon safety , and i have to be honest ....i agree. i feel its not that hard to use new files everytime. i usually pass this cost on to my clients ..... i charge an additional fee on every service i do to cover my files . when we made our menu we added in the cost of the files and pads as well as our autoclave bags , so that we would not have to absorb the cost of this service.

I used to keep clients files together with their record cards but just don't have the storage space (or the inclination!) to do that anymore, so I buy cheap 180/180 files and give them to the client at the end of the service. A lot of my new clients seemed quite pleased to see me get a new file out of the wrapper and used on them. I made the decision to do this after 'checking out one of the competition' close by - I was appalled to see her get a very dusty (and almost bald) file out of her drawer to use on me. She also did no sanitation or prep, so I was glad she only replaced one nail for me (which was wonky and horrible! :rolleyes: )

Jackie
Liberty Nail Design
Dublin

I do the same as Lily (aka Amanada :) ) and keep them in an envelope attached to the clients record card.

B

Is using 1 file per person an overkill? If I was using expensive files, yes.
Mine after you wash them, they don't fall apart, but are not the same...they are bendy and I just like the feel of a new file.
Also at $0.50 cents it is worth for the clients to see that I'm using the file only for them and I didn't use it for a previous pedicure or something.
I think its worth it.

l totally agree with you Anna.

Clients like to see all the necessary steps of hygiene and using a new file, l found is one of them.

l do not use the expensive files as l too find that if you look around there are good ones that do the same job.

We can't blame our 'tools' or 'products' if the job is bad just like we can't say it was the same things that made the job great. It is the person using them along with the amount of experience!

l know everyone has their own way of doing things, but what if it does become 'law' for new files for each? would the companies decide to lower the price? or will people go to another company? or like the Guru said the price is set into the main cost - which is a good one as working out the cost of product and items per Client is fairly small compared to the cost for our training and skill!

Has anyone else heard about the files and law?

smiler13334 said:
Has anyone else heard about the files and law?

there is no 'law' governing the use of abrasives in the UK as there are no regulations for the nail industry.

What is unhygenic about using the same abrasive on 2-3 clients if the abrasive is brushed cleaned and sanitized between clients? I can see no necessity whatsoever to use a new one on each client. Someone would have to convince me that this was absolutely necessary for me to do it. Obviously there are different ways of doing things and we all may lean towards one thing or the other, but a 'law' governing this? When we are not even filing anything other than plastic? I hope not.

I also do exactly what geeg does where it concerns files, i scrub them with a sanitised brush, chlorispray them then wrap them and store until my next client. I then chlorispray them in front of the client, and more often than not they ask me what i am doing, so i tell them i am ensuring they are sanitised and ready for use. I leave them to dry whilst i do all prep work and everything, then they are fine to use. I only use them for a few clients then either bin them or give them away. I would like to be able to have a large enough storage cupboard to keep them alongside my clients consultation forms, but as i work from home i do not have the space. Maybe i will move to a larger house!!!!!!!

Michelle

geeg said:
there is no 'law' governing the use of abrasives in the UK as there are no regulations for the nail industry.

What is unhygenic about using the same abrasive on 2-3 clients if the abrasive is brushed cleaned and sanitized between clients? I can see no necessity whatsoever to use a new one on each client. Someone would have to convince me that this was absolutely necessary for me to do it. Obviously there are different ways of doing things and we all may lean towards one thing or the other, but a 'law' governing this? When we are not even filing anything other than plastic? I hope not.

I think in California you have to either sanitize the file (soak for so many minutes) or use a new on each client.
Also you use the file to file remove the shine from the natural nail......and if the salon also does pedicures...how do i know that they didn't use that file on some fungused toenails LOL LOL :o
I don't know if spraying kills fungus...and a lot of disinfectants are only working the way they are supposed to on hard surfaces.....
Over here (in Canada, Ontario) is it requested that we soak the files for 20 minutes in alcohol or mixture of bleach and water....and that kills my files...so I use new ones on each client

I'm a licensed tech from California. according to state law, we have to use a new file on each client. and trust me, it's not over kill. over the past couple of years, there were several outbreaks in salons. clients were getting bacterial infections, herpes, etc... also, if you add in the fact that there are a lot of people that have moved to California, who have not been immunized, you have a big problem. as a nail tech and sometime nail client, i don't want a used file used in my service. i did the whole santize thing, and that got tired. i don't have time for that. also, they're not as course. you can never be sure if a client is carrying a disease. who wants that risk? California is the law suit state. i have enough stuff to be worried about.

If you are a full service nail technician then you file the natural nail for manicures, pedicures and removing the shine for nail enhancements.

I have to say i don't replace everytime, but i always sanitise all of my files. The 240 grit ones i use don't last long anyway. Also it depends on the client, if they don't look like they have looked after theit nails at all then i always throw the file away after them.

I tend to use a new file about every 3rd client anyway, so i don't think there's a problem with that system.

sawasdee ka

If i was in another country tomorrow and had my nails done and the nail tech take from the pack new files and blocks i would be very very happy .

If i went to a salon and they had sanitize the files it would not be problem for me if the file look like it near new .

But if i went to a salon and sit down and the tech was going to use files that were with white marks i would walk out of salon and not have my nails there .

So every thing i think is good for me i thik about my customers and what they think .

i was going to try put up my price littel bit was to use new files for all service i have not put price up now but am use new files .

We have no laws about nail tech in Thailand but i think is nice if you can use new file for service .

I would think but i do not know but the more exspensive files will clean better and last longer for more service i do not buy esxpensive files .

Mui from Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back