First client-problems already!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavy

Reaction score
I am new to the hair extension business, trained just a couple of months ago and I put an ad asking for models to fit the hair for free.. I have been contacted yesterday by a lady who said she urgently needed extensions(she wanted me to fit them today) as she has a photo shoot on wednesday. I said that it takes quite a while for the hair to arrive if I order it online but she said she can't wait and she would buy stick tip extensions and micro rings from one of these afro hair shops. She has been advised to buy micro loops instead:eek: and I told her I did not train with these at all, but she said I would handle it,which I did. As there was no time for a consultation I advised her yesterday on how to prepare her hair for the fitting, including washing it thoroughly with a clarifying shampoo and not putting conditioner or anything else on the hair afterwards. So today, I went to her place and I was shocked by the poor condition of the extensions: extremely fragile( even my very fine, 3 times bleached hair is stronger...), shedding A LOT, and that keratin or glue keeping the hairs together underneath the ring was unable to do its job. Also, her hair was very moisturised and I asked her if she applied anything to it,she said she had dyed her hair this morning(as far as I know all chemical treatments must be done at least one week prior to the fitting)..Job was a success, but I don't expect it to last more than a month..
And here I am now, all panicked, expecting her to call me at any time complaining about the hair... Sorry for the loooong story...

I think you can only learn from this experience. Always do a consultation and you always have the right to say no.

You are the professional. Doing shoddy work will sully your name. Learn to say no

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You really should not have done it tbh you must always do a consultation first, if a client wanted to buy their own hair I would agree to look at the condition of it and then see if I feel comfortable fitting it. If the hair is really bad condition I would refuse as its your name on it. You just have to learn from this experience. If anything happens to the hair you will just have to tell her that it is not your responsibility as she bought the hair herself x

Doing the fitting was probably a bad choice, but you learn lessons as you go along. Before you fit these extensions did you ask her to sign a disclaimer completely ridding yourself of any responsibility for the hair itself? Also did you give her anything with aftercare advice on? For instance not dying the hair extensions, or at the very least not near her bonds?

Same as the above, learn to say no. I have had a few experiences like this where I let the client bully me! Just say no. If they don't have time, its their problem, not yours.

I would also type up a disclaimer regarding quality of hair if you haven't sourced it. I got my girls to sign this and explained to them I could not take any responsibility for the hair!

I work with Afro hair & fit weave & plait extensions. The clients always supply the hair for me to fit. If I wasn't happy with the hair I would get the client to sign a form saying that they have supplied the hair & that it is there responsibility if the hair is rubbish. Also as she never followed your advise on how to prepare her hair I would of got her also to sign satiny that you advised on correct preparation but she never followed it.

Never be scared to say no !
It is your name and rep after all and it will always be your fault even when its not and your name that gets muddied
Dont do it again, and never let people bully you into doing something your not happy with
If it was me i would have turned up took one look and walked away without touching it.
Hopefully lesson learned always do a consultation others that do cheep extensions dont and this is how extensions get bad a bad name.

If you don't do an allergy test at least 48 hours before the full install you will not be covered under your insurance if she makes a claim against you, because you have not followed the correct Health & Safety Requirements for a Professional Install.

If clients hair is fragile, too thin or breaking they are not suitable for extensions because the roots will not be strong enough to hold the extra weight of hair that the scalp has to get used to carrying.

Years ago a Disclaimer Form protected the Salon Professional but now it is not a guarantee of protection should the case go to court. Say for example the client said "I just signed it, and did not read it, and it was not explained to me by the Extensionist" you would lose the case.

Great care should be taken at the consultation stage assessing if the client is suitable for extensions, if there is any breakage or overprocessing you should say "no".

You can always suggest "clip ins" as a temporary measure til the clients hair has improved enough, and is healthy enough to do a full install.

Any chemical processing ie: bleaching, chemical straightening, perming, colouring etc., should be carried out at least 2 weeks prior to a full install. It is never advisable to do all these together and put in extensions within a few days as this can cause a shock to the hair follicles of the scalp and could cause sudden hair loss.

ps: also you should ask if the client is on any medications, as these can make the hair fragile and too weak to hold the weight of the bonds. Also if a lady is pregnant or breast feeding she should wait at least 12 months before she is suitable for extensions because hormone imbalance in her body can upset her hair folicles and cause hair loss, thinning and weakness.

Also please remember once you are Qualified that you are only Insured for the methods you are certificated in. If you have a certificate for micro rings but put micro loops in a client hair your Insurance will be nul-and-void. Insurance companies are very strict on these points.

Hope this is of some help.

Michael

Last edited:
If you did micro loops when you're only insured for rings, you also weren't covered by your insurance I'm afraid x

Lesson definitely learned, thanks a lot to all of you!
She contacted me on wednesday to complain that a few strands slipped out and I told her the hair dye she used probably had hydrating agents in it and that she should have told me she was going to dye her hair prior to the fitting. She wasn't rude at all, but found it necessary to put the blame on somebody else than herself and eventually said she went to the shop from where she purchased the hair and complained to the guy who recommended it.
Anyway, I am soooo happy I found this forum, it is so helpful for me and other newbies in hair extensions to read about your experiences and ask for advice!!!

Latest posts

Back