First customer this afternoon-I'm scared!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
Got my very first paying customer coming this afternoon. I've only done friends and family before - this is a stranger.

I've cleaned the house a million times, the room is set up, got my consultation forms and aftercare sheets ready. Got my change in my wee tin. Need to get myself showered and dressed next.

I think she's coming anyway. She emailed a few days ago asking to bring her children and I said she couldn't (nicely and told her my insurance wouldn't let me have children in the room) and she never replied. I sent a text yesterday reminding her of her appointment time and saying if she couldn't make it or had any questions to give me a shout and she never replied to that either so I assume that means she is coming. You never know though do you? Maybe she just can't be bothered letting me know. Lots of people just don't bother turning up don't they.

I'm so scared I'm not sure whether I want her to appear or not :lol:

And she wants French and I'm SO rubbish at French! Been practising loads but still not happy. I've rockstarred my own nails in the hope that she's a magpie and will see them and want them instead :green:

God this whole starting your own beauty business is scary and exciting in equal measure I think!

If she hasn't replied my gut feeling is, she's going to be a no show.

Don't get yourself all worked up and nervous.

If she does show up, just pretend she's an old friend and you'll be grand.

The very best of luck - I really hope she shows up after all that cleaning. :hug:

Good luck let us know how you get on :)
Vicki x

Thanks both. I don't think she's going to show either- not after me refusing to let her bring her kids. It's a spare bedroom full of equipment and stock though and I can't see 2 wee under 5s sitting nicely for an hour somehow :lol: but I'll put on my uniform and wait and see. I may be surprised.

I keep reminding myself to fake it til I make it- she doesn't need to know she's my first customer or that I suck at French (I'm sure I'm better at it than she is even if I'm rubbish compared to experienced nail techs). If I make a mistake just correct it don't let her know. Kind of like on my Facebook page- I keep telling people to remember to book in as appointments are going fast for December and it's all a big old lie ;)

Thanks both. I don't think she's going to show either- not after me refusing to let her bring her kids. It's a spare bedroom full of equipment and stock though and I can't see 2 wee under 5s sitting nicely for an hour somehow :lol: but I'll put on my uniform and wait and see. I may be surprised.

I keep reminding myself to fake it til I make it- she doesn't need to know she's my first customer or that I suck at French (I'm sure I'm better at it than she is even if I'm rubbish compared to experienced nail techs). If I make a mistake just correct it don't let her know. Kind of like on my Facebook page- I keep telling people to remember to book in as appointments are going fast for December and it's all a big old lie ;)

:lol: I was the very same when I was new to nails. Clients would ring for an appointment, and I was all "Hmmm let me see... ooh you're in luck, I've an opening at 2pm" - OK I failed to mention to them that I had an opening all flippin' day long too!! :lol:

Fake it till you make it - such a great saying! :)

Good luck sweetie. So nerve racking! X

She came! I had my first paying customer and she PAID! It's very exciting!

She said she was happy but to be honest she was so shy and quiet I don't think she'd have said even if she wasn't She did rebook though :-D

It wasn't the neatest French manicure of all time - my hands were shaking and she had really short bitten nails but it looked OK I think. She said she has had Shellac before and it chipped after 6 days but that she doesn't wear gloves or use creams or anything and she also just let it grow out so I don't think she's a very exacting customer which is nice- obviously I want her nails to be perfect and to last for ages but it's nice to know she isn't the type to go round bad mouthing or anything.

I did have a complete mind fart and forgot to put on the base coat, realised after the 3rd finger of colour- realised I couldn't really style it out so just admitted I'd totally forgotten wiped off the colour, reprepped and started again :lol:

I'm going to frame the note she paid with. Thanks for the support everyone.

Well done glitterbox - may it be the first of many :) x

Well done!! Next customer won't be so nerve wrecking now.

Aw well done you!!! I am so thrilled that you've overcome this hurdle because I see so much of me in your post. I know I'll be exactly the same when I eventually work on a total stranger. Anyway, I hope you have a very relaxing night knowing that you've done it!! xx

First one done and over with. Well done. I'll probably be the same with my first client. :)

I'm thrilled for you - I can't believe she showed up!! I was sure she was a no show. :lol:

Well done - there'll be no stopping you now. x

Fantastic. Feels amazing after the first one doesn't it :)

Vicki x

yeay so glad she showed up and well done :D

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited. Also a bit scared that she'll phone tomorrow and tell me they've all peeled off or something. I want more people now! Sadly my book is looking somewhat sparse. Hopefully now one person's been word will start to spread. Hopefully positive!

That's brilliant, I've got my very first client on Friday , and I'm so scared she seems really nice, and did my patch test and consulatation today, I'm doing lashes, but how did you find talking to her? What did you talk about?
Did you offer drinks?
Sorry all questions I'm just so nervous about paying client whether or not I'm ready?!xxx

I just babbled rubbish asking if she had started her Christmas shopping and stuff. She was SUPER softly spoken though so I was struggling to hear her answers. I didn't offer drinks, firstly cos my treatment room is upstairs in my house so to get her a drink I'd have to traipse downstairs and leave her alone up there and I'm not overly keen on strangers being left alone with all the stuff. Plus I figured if I gave her a drink she wouldn't really have a chance to drink it while I was doing her nails. It'll be fine - you're doing eyelashes aren't you? (was just reading your thread about it) she'll possibly just fall asleep anyway - my trainer says 90% of her eyelash customers fall asleep :)

Latest posts

Back