First set of lash extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautilicious1

Janninebeautyroom
Reaction score
Completed my first set of lashbase eyelash extensions. It took me around 2.5 hours. 2 hours on the first sitting and 30 mins tonight. Any one got any suggestions on how to quicken up? Constructive criticism welcome :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394747810.822636.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394747820.320730.jpg

I've just started also an mine look the same! Would be great to have some advice xx

Hopefully some experienced lashers will give us some advice danm :)

Things all lashers need:
- Quick drying adhesive (many beginners are given adhesive that is too slow/weak and it can actually hinder progress if you're getting in place then having to mess around holding for ages)
- Good lighting (and magnifying glasses if you need. You want to see ALL the lashes to isolate well and get the fullest set)
- Good tweezers (if they're blunt you're not going to be able to push aside all the tiny lashes particularly easily when isolating!)
- Comfortable set up (find what works best for you jade stone/glue ring, lash strips on back of hand, saddle stool... When you've got a set-up you like, you will start to get into a better rhythm of working and gradually speed up...)

It's all about practice and finding what works best for you! Your lashes will soon look better when you do this. But don't forget, speed isn't everything and good lashes don't just look good they are properly isolated/separated, involve use of appropriate sizes for the clients for SAFE long term wear!

For other tips, LieLash has some YouTube tutorials you might like to watch. Just search "eyelash extensions in kent" in YouTube and you'll find them! X

Hi ladies

I am by no means an experienced lasher but have been doing lashes for the last month now.

I totally agree with previous post re lash adhesive. I stared out with a good adhesive but it took a while to set, so i've taken the step (I was scared) and have started to use a faster setting glue and OMG it's totally worth it. Glue sets quicker and prevents clumping together.

Also agree about good set of tweezers, i've got a few sets but only 1 set is by far the best so maybe try a few before finding the best ones for you.

With regard to speed - it really just comes naturally I was doing a full set in 2 hours at first but am now down to 1.5 hrs and I did it without even noticing. So don't worry about speed just concerntrate on perfecting your skill.

xx

Don't worry about speed, that will come eventually.

As already said get a decent adhesive. I started with marvel lash and it was pants & took too long to dry.

There is a show is your lashes thread on here if you do a search. (Sorry j can't link you to it.)It has so much information on there that will really help you out
Xx

Thank you so much for your replies ladies. I now realise that its not about timing. I was going by what salons in my area are doing and what I was told on my training but i know now that its about doing the best set of lashes I can. I always take pride in my work whether its a massage or an eyebrow wax and thats why I'm on here trying to improve with the help and advice you ladies provide. Luckily i work for myself so i can schedule whatever time I need. I've also recently invested in a good mag lamp which I'm waiting to be delivered and can't wait to try out 😃

Thank you so much for your replies ladies. I now realise that its not about timing. I was going by what salons in my area are doing and what I was told on my training but i know now that its about doing the best set of lashes I can. I always take pride in my work whether its a massage or an eyebrow wax and thats why I'm on here trying to improve with the help and advice you ladies provide. Luckily i work for myself so i can schedule whatever time I need. I've also recently invested in a good mag lamp which I'm waiting to be delivered and can't wait to try out 😃

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395155912.515293.jpg
I have just finished these girls

Things all lashers need:
- Quick drying adhesive (many beginners are given adhesive that is too slow/weak and it can actually hinder progress if you're getting in place then having to mess around holding for ages)
- Good lighting (and magnifying glasses if you need. You want to see ALL the lashes to isolate well and get the fullest set)
- Good tweezers (if they're blunt you're not going to be able to push aside all the tiny lashes particularly easily when isolating!)
- Comfortable set up (find what works best for you jade stone/glue ring, lash strips on back of hand, saddle stool... When you've got a set-up you like, you will start to get into a better rhythm of working and gradually speed up...)

It's all about practice and finding what works best for you! Your lashes will soon look better when you do this. But don't forget, speed isn't everything and good lashes don't just look good they are properly isolated/separated, involve use of appropriate sizes for the clients for SAFE long term wear!

For other tips, LieLash has some YouTube tutorials you might like to watch. Just search "eyelash extensions in kent" in YouTube and you'll find them! X

Hi

Great advice, I went to pro beauty and was chatting to eyelash emporium lady for ages, she advised me to go for the medium glue which I love but still it's so slow setting and I feel like I'm wasting loads of time sitting there holding the lash waiting for it to dry. She said not to go for anything more but that was obviously towards the end of feb and iv done loads of sets since then. Do you think i should take the plunge and buy the stronger one. I was pondering over it at the weekend when I noted they had the offer on and damn it wish I had got it now. I know iv only been doing it for around 8 weeks but iv had loads of people and I do genuinely think it's slowing me down. This is a top up I didn't tonight. I didn't brush out the outer corner properly which I'm annoyed about as otherwise I was quite pleased with them. What do you think??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 277
Hi

Great advice, I went to pro beauty and was chatting to eyelash emporium lady for ages, she advised me to go for the medium glue which I love but still it's so slow setting and I feel like I'm wasting loads of time sitting there holding the lash waiting for it to dry. She said not to go for anything more but that was obviously towards the end of feb and iv done loads of sets since then. Do you think i should take the plunge and buy the stronger one. I was pondering over it at the weekend when I noted they had the offer on and damn it wish I had got it now. I know iv only been doing it for around 8 weeks but iv had loads of people and I do genuinely think it's slowing me down. This is a top up I didn't tonight. I didn't brush out the outer corner properly which I'm annoyed about as otherwise I was quite pleased with them. What do you think??

They look very full! Go for the ultra adhesive. Eyelash Emporium have a flash sale on right now too!
I don't know how I ever coped with the medium! At least the sensitive one is slow without fumes I'd rather use that lol

Dunno if you know to but keep your adhesive fresh by keeping in an airtight container with something to absorb moisture like silica, rice or bamboo charcoal.
I buy 5ml bottles and keep them in small jars with rice in!
And shake for 30sec before using adhesive too :)
X
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395963654.568642.jpg

Im curious what the typical application time is for a set once youve become comfortable with your technique?

Sent from my MB855 using SalonGeek mobile app

They look very full! Go for the ultra adhesive. Eyelash Emporium have a flash sale on right now too!
I don't know how I ever coped with the medium! At least the sensitive one is slow without fumes I'd rather use that lol

Dunno if you know to but keep your adhesive fresh by keeping in an airtight container with something to absorb moisture like silica, rice or bamboo charcoal.
I buy 5ml bottles and keep them in small jars with rice in!
And shake for 30sec before using adhesive too :)
X
View attachment 60208

Hi LMA

Thanks, I think that girl I posted as a particularly good set of lashes, however I am finding it really hard to get them looking all uniform and completely inline into a gradient if that makes sense. I want to know if it is literally practice of if I wasn't taught a particular method or something. I am comparing myself to really experienced lashers and don't know if I am being too harsh.

So the airtight containers, what does that do then?

Hi LMA

Thanks, I think that girl I posted as a particularly good set of lashes, however I am finding it really hard to get them looking all uniform and completely inline into a gradient if that makes sense. I want to know if it is literally practice of if I wasn't taught a particular method or something. I am comparing myself to really experienced lashers and don't know if I am being too harsh.

Me to!

Im curious what the typical application time is for a set once youve become comfortable with your technique?

Sent from my MB855 using SalonGeek mobile app

Depends on the tech. Some very good ones take 1hr15 a full set, but I still take 2hr and I'm perfectly happy with that!

Hi LMA

I'm still working on uniformity myself, but with good adhesive you only need to bond the base of an extension by like 3mm to get good bonding (unlike many trainers who say you need to bond across the entire natural lash) so if a lash is a bit wonky you can try manipulate the extension to facing the correct way by only adhering a small amount at the base.
For very unruly lashes you can 'candy cane' and wrap natural lash around for more bonding area.
As for a smooth gradient. Do you mix lengths together in each section of the lash line? I like to use a full range of lengths like 8,9,10,11,12 unlike some places that might supply trays in only evens or odds like 8,10,12... And will never have a section containing just one length of extensions I will always mix with at least one size down, which then helps to blend length together across the set. Does that make sense?
Also practice does always help! X

I'm still working on uniformity myself, but with good adhesive you only need to bond the base of an extension by like 3mm to get good bonding (unlike many trainers who say you need to bond across the entire natural lash) so if a lash is a bit wonky you can try manipulate the extension to facing the correct way by only adhering a small amount at the base.
For very unruly lashes you can 'candy cane' and wrap natural lash around for more bonding area.
As for a smooth gradient. Do you mix lengths together in each section of the lash line? I like to use a full range of lengths like 8,9,10,11,12 unlike some places that might supply trays in only evens or odds like 8,10,12... And will never have a section containing just one length of extensions I will always mix with at least one size down, which then helps to blend length together across the set. Does that make sense?

So I did this full set today and what I did was use 11s to form the skeleton and then used 7s and 9s in the inner corner then filled in with 9s. Is this wrong? Feel like I am never going to learn the technique. Do you think I should ask for more traning?

Also iv noted on other threads that you have advised people not to charge cheap because of the hard work we have to put into a set, I am currently charging £30 but the girl that does my lashes more or less said she doesn't think I should be charging yet, I done my course in January but if I can only practice on friends and family I'm limiting myself to the amount of practice I am going to get so thought il start charging a lower rate. What are your thoughts about what I'm charging or increasing it now or in the future. Kinda feel like I'm taking the pee if I start charging the going rate which is around £40/£45 a full set.

Also thanks I ordered some ultra platinum glue from Eyelash Emporium today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 138

Sorry the other photo wouldn't upload.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 99

Sorry don't know what's going on. This is the other photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 107
So I did this full set today and what I did was use 11s to form the skeleton and then used 7s and 9s in the inner corner then filled in with 9s. Is this wrong? Feel like I am never going to learn the technique. Do you think I should ask for more traning?

Also iv noted on other threads that you have advised people not to charge cheap because of the hard work we have to put into a set, I am currently charging £30 but the girl that does my lashes more or less said she doesn't think I should be charging yet, I done my course in January but if I can only practice on friends and family I'm limiting myself to the amount of practice I am going to get so thought il start charging a lower rate. What are your thoughts about what I'm charging or increasing it now or in the future. Kinda feel like I'm taking the pee if I start charging the going rate which is around £40/£45 a full set.

Also thanks I ordered some ultra platinum glue from Eyelash Emporium today!

As long as the end effect of the design was what you wanted/looked nice there is nothing wrong with that no.
If you feel you would benefit from further training, have a look into it and go for it! Or if you don't quite need hands on help try buying the Lash Bible volumes or other books of that nature!
LieLash did some helpful tutorials for already trained techs if you search 'eyelash extensions in kent' into YouTube...

Do your clients know that £30 is just your introductory price? If not then start putting on your things that it is an introductory offer.

Always hard to tell from photos but the lashes look nice and separated and full from what I can see. I wouldn't worry if I were you!

What does the girl who does your lashes charge? And what diameter/length/curl extensions does she use? (I know it seems odd/nosey to ask)

And yay! Hope you like it!
Have a look into buying some masks with respirators btw (there's some on LashBase) all lash techs ought to wear them so we don't over-expose ourselves to fumes :)

Latest posts

Back