Fish Pedi's on bbc website

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklepink

modges r us..we r coolio!
Reaction score
Just saw this on the bbc website

BBC News - Fish pedicure safety in question

Wonders what others thoughts were ....

...personally ive got the most ticklish feet so could never have anyone else do a pedi on me :rolleyes: and the thought of those fish really doesnt appeal to me but i know quite a few who have said its fab

Jess x

Jessica Marks
EzFlow Master Artist Educator
EzFlow UK Team

(ps. i did do a search and there were quite a few past fish posts so mods if it needs moving or mish-mashing into another please do)

This is something that has bothered me, having seen them nibbling away at Excel yesterday, i watched as the little blighters were having their lunch on some woman with pink toenails, and my thoughts are, that lady had polish on her toes, how does anyone know that she hasnt got a fungal infection? Are less caring establishments over the world going to turn a blind eye to verruccas, athletes foot etc? So to be spreading infection I would think would be quite high, could it spread more sinister infections? Is the water cleaned with a chemical? - I have kept tropical fish so I doubt anything harsh would be put in.
I didnt for one fancy putting my tootsies in a tank full of water that goodness knows how many other people had put their feet in, and one lady had pretty grubby feet that she immersed!
It would be good to hear from someone that keeps these fish to persaude me otherwise, but i dont think I will be trying out anytime soon!

Hi
Well l have to be sceptical too. I have decided not to go down that route, although I was going to. I use Podiatry arena too but have not logged on for a while as I always get so much stick! footwoman

For a little establishment like myself I think it would be ok, as I am a Foot Health professional and a beauty therapist and if the HPA decide to bring in Guidelines which I think they may do, that will be helpful.

I totally agree with the nail polish point as I have a few clients who wear polish over untreated fungal nails and they blantly refuse to treat their nails!

I actually emailed a professor in Austria who had done some research into the theuraputic treatment involved in fish pedicures, he hasnt emailed me back to date - but the email didnt come back either, so there may be hope

I just read this article in Daily Mail

Infection warning over fish pedicure craze sweeping Britain | Mail Online

I liked the idea of these at first but it seems that anywhere or anyone with access to water is offering fish pedicures !

There is hot tub/spa salesroom a few miles from me that has started offering them for £10 a go.

For every salon that follows the correct procedure there will be 10 that don't. I feel sorry for the poor fish having a pair of trotters dipped in every 10mins. yummy.

Teresac,
I use Podiatry arena too but have not logged on for a while as I always get so much stick!

Why is that?

regards

Footwoman

After having read the article on the Garra Rufa fish on BBC online I rang Enviromental Health in N.Ireland to ask a few questions regarding purchasing a tank for my salon. I am really glad I made the call the lady said that there is no legislation YET regarding the fish pedicure but they are calling out soon to investigate the salons who have this treatment and with all the news in the media and some states in the US having banned them she advised me to hold back to see what the outcome would be. This did not sound too good to me so needless to say I am going to update my pedicure stations instead.

Latest posts

Back