Flowers ... time To Go Picking peeps!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorsclaws

Photographic Geek
Reaction score
Hiya peeps,
For all who like Forget-Me-Nots for nails (pic in my gallery).
Just thought I'd tell you that theyre just coming into bloom NOW!
Grow everywhere, easy to pick and press... very summery.
Im gonna get some this afternoon, said I wasnt going to bother but, cant resist, lol!

how did you guess id be first in line for these !!

Glors can you put me down for some pinks, reds an lilacs - if you have them hun

Flowers have been very popular add on hun and am running low !!!

thanks

kx

Just thought I would let you know....if you don't all ready....if your into pressing your own flowers but can't be doing with the hassle of waiting for them to dry and press Lakeland Limited sell a microwaveable flower press for about £25.00.

Log on to www.lakelandlimited.com and go to the craft section.

Hope this helps!

How do you press them glo? Ive put them in books befoe but they always lose their colour, i know their must be some trick to it so spill the beans hun.

x

Sounds brilliant!! Press and Go!! I also use their plate warmer for heating my towels for a manicure. Can heat 3 or 4 hand towels in one go!! Still saving for a heated cabinet at £270!!! :(

Glorsclaws said:
Hiya peeps,
Im gonna get some this afternoon, said I wasnt going to bother but, cant resist, lol!

Oh what a great idea, i'd never thought about pressing my own flowers.

I bought my daughter a flower press last year, will try and dig it out and give it a go.

Any tips on pressing - haven't got the 1st idea where to start

scattyfox said:
How do you press them glo? Ive put them in books befoe but they always lose their colour, i know their must be some trick to it so spill the beans hun.

x
Will be interested to see the response to this - mine always lose their colour too!

me too want to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPill

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Im off down the garden centre to nick a couple of blooms!!! No second thoughts, I will raid mums garden - always lots in there. How do we keep them in their original colours?

got a 'kiddy flower press' today from woolworths picking flowers tomorro then 1 week snuggled up to the hot water tank...should work ??? i'm a novice to this remember doing it when i was little...can a go a week without a peek :rolleyes: !!! maybe not ...

Glorsclaws said:
Hiya peeps,
Hi glor,well i have been and picked my forget me nots they are blue.
can you tell me how do i press them and how long for?
i think we would all love to know how to do these as they are really nice.
Thanks tj

You can also dry flowers in a microwave - they should keep their colours okay...

Place 3 or 4 paper towels in the microwave, then put a sheet of blotting paper on top. Carefully place the flowers on top, making sure they don't overlap. Cover with another sheet of blotting paper, then 3 or 4 more paper towels.

Place a plate or casserole dish on top to keep it all flat. Heat on medium (or low-medium for dark flowers) for 3 - 4 minutes. Check at one minute intervals. The flowers should feel dry and should be rigid, not limp. Usually 3 to 4 mins is enough, although an extra minute or so may be needed occasionally.

Be careful not to microwave for too long. When the flowers feel dry or nearly dry, leave them in the microwave for a few minutes with the power off - this finishes the drying proces. Easy!

Lulu :)

vodkababe said:
You can also dry flowers in a microwave - they should keep their colours okay...
Lulu :)

you know I had thought of getting a microwave just for this purpose... how sad am I, lol!
You dont really need a press as such, I have placed between tissue, then a sheet of newspaper, couple of telephone directories on top do the trick. Leave overnight away from moisture & dampness (not kitchen or garage)

Also just to add to this ... dont pick the flowers when theyre wet, it is supposed to be better to pick quite early in the morning but, after the dew has evaporated. They must be pressed dry!

To address the questions of why the colour fade sometimes, I dont know the answer to this.
I have picked flowers at the same time and pressed together... some have faded ... some not. If anyone susses it out Id be delighted to know too!

Lulu, can you tell me what blotting paper is?? I am really gonna try this!!
Thanks, Louise G

while this thread is up I want to add that I picked some elder flowers the other day, they dried out really nice, so I decided to do some more and dipped them in to red and green food colouring with water, let them dry out then pressed them, I will let you know how they turned out, will have to try them on me first in case they stain the nail bed, anyone no anything about colouring flowers, have a done the wrong thing?

Latest posts

Back