Flyers....do they work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a beauty salon recently and on their coffee table in the waiting area were business cards from other local outlets. I thought this was a good idea and have also seen it in my hair salon.

You have to look at something whilst your waiting and it's also like a personal recommendation in a way.

Maybe you leave cards like this aswell?

Hi

I live in Stoke and there is a wide range of people there is a large student community but Ive also noticed some very nice housing estates with new families that seem to live there (what Ive now called my yummy mummy zone)
So Ive got two distinct areas and will be creating a student based flyer and a yummy mummy one. The offer is pretty much the same but the packaging of it is different!

Hope that make sense!

x

All of my starbucks/neros etc have a local community notice board where everyone leaves their flyers. As do the local library.

When you say flyers do you mean pricelists (trifold) or like an A5 flyer?

In my experience atm, no they don't. I have delivered 2,500 and had 1 response.

:sad:

And they were full colour glossy, well designed as well.

But I have had 4 word of mouth recommendations in the last fortnight and 3 new clients who googled nails and the name of my town :)

I don't think it makes any difference what you deliver in but I always made sure my nails were gorgeous just incase I got talking to anyone (but I didn't)

When I did leaflets 9 years ago when I started out, I got a good response, but these days definitely not. I wish I hadn't wasted my time and money. :cry: lol

I did 2400 leaflets in the area around the salon and it got me 14 clients. Definitely worth it as most rebooked and some sent their friends to see me.

A lot of them said "the leaflet was so lovely i just had to look at it!" So make it eye catching and a worthwhile read and you should get a return.

I'm definitely going to order more. I deliver them myself and get family to help in exchange for treatments. I got 2000 from vistaprint for £53 including free 7 day delivery.

Word of mouth is great but you need to get your name out there to start with so there are clients to spread the word.

I HAVE A CUSTOMER :green:

Not from my flyers admittedly, but she googled and booked through my website.

She wants a full set of l+p, a pedicure and a brow wax cause she's going to a wedding, i'm so excited. I'm gonna make sure I do the best treatment possible so that she recommends me to her friends and family, I will also offer her some sort of incentive discount for referrals.

At last I feel like a 'real' therapist instead of a virtual one :)

Just another idea ! What about going to see if you can set up for a day in your local leisure centre, I have done this before at very little cost I think my centre charged me £25 for the day. Do a few demo's , hand out price lists and maybe offer 10% discount on bookings taken that day.
I love jojo's idea of getting together with other businesses.
News paper ad 's have never worked for me they are expensive and go in the bin straight away. Leaflets are luck of the draw, I guess.
Good luck it takes time to build clients, you will get there in the end.
Jo

There's no definitive answer to be honest (as opinion on this thread suggests).

For our own salon, leaflet drops worked better than expensive newspaper and radio ads and we could measure the effectiveness as we'd suggest people bring the leaflet back for a specific discount- this is a very important aspect of any marketing, if you can't measure its effectiveness, its total guesswork and conjecture.

There are so many variants in the demographics (in terms of location, ages, disposable income etc etc.) of where everyones businesses are, its almost impossible to say if it'll work or not.

The only way you'll know for certain is by trying it.

But don't expect miracles on the first drop. Its a culmantive effect as people come to recognise your brand- you should find (if you space the drops appropriately, not too often, not too long between) that it gradually becomes more effectivec over time (which is a general principle with all marketing methods).

But, make sure you give every chance of making the leaflet work. I've seen so many examples of a poorly executed leaflet failing- and then people blaming the technique itself!

Have a read of this if you need help Designing an Effective Leaflet

Paying particular attention to the first tip ;)

I HAVE A CUSTOMER :green:

Not from my flyers admittedly, but she googled and booked through my website.

She wants a full set of l+p, a pedicure and a brow wax cause she's going to a wedding, i'm so excited. I'm gonna make sure I do the best treatment possible so that she recommends me to her friends and family, I will also offer her some sort of incentive discount for referrals.

At last I feel like a 'real' therapist instead of a virtual one :)

Congratulations! So pleased to hear that, wherever they come from!

I wish you many many more :hug:

Love this thread. Thank you. Lots great tips and advice! Maybe we could all say what area we are in if we'd be willing to support other local beauty businesses? For example we work in the Manchester and Lancashire area and could support local beauticians (so long as the session we were running wasn't from a beauty salon), hairdressers etc we do skin rejuvenation treatments. www.kennairaesthetics.co.uk
Wew.kennairaesthetics.co.uk

There's no definitive answer to be honest (as opinion on this thread suggests).

For our own salon, leaflet drops worked better than expensive newspaper and radio ads and we could measure the effectiveness as we'd suggest people bring the leaflet back for a specific discount- this is a very important aspect of any marketing, if you can't measure its effectiveness, its total guesswork and conjecture.

There are so many variants in the demographics (in terms of location, ages, disposable income etc etc.) of where everyones businesses are, its almost impossible to say if it'll work or not.

The only way you'll know for certain is by trying it.

But don't expect miracles on the first drop. Its a culmantive effect as people come to recognise your brand- you should find (if you space the drops appropriately, not too often, not too long between) that it gradually becomes more effectivec over time (which is a general principle with all marketing methods).

But, make sure you give every chance of making the leaflet work. I've seen so many examples of a poorly executed leaflet failing- and then people blaming the technique itself!

Have a read of this if you need help Designing an Effective Leaflet

Paying particular attention to the first tip ;)

I'll take a look at this link thanks! Love this thread ;)

Latest posts

Back