Forthcoming nail fashions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaBevahousen

Reaction score
I have to admit, I love the high end fashion mags. It allows me to see the oncoming trends that will soon hit the high street shelves as well as what's going to be on people nails. Celeb gossip and entertainment breaking news alway has me looking at what someone has on there nails.

So my question is, how do you keep up with what trends are soon to hit us as nail techs? Do you read every mag that comes your way or do you just go by word of mouth and find out when people start asking for it?

I live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere--when it comes to nail design here--I set the trends! LOL!! And I do that by keeping an eye on these websites and nail forums and word of mouth from my nail tech friends. And then I pick and choose what I am going to do to achieve the looks. Face it, we don't all live in Hollywood and most of the average Janes out there work for a living--so a lot of the looks you see out there are not practical for everyday wear. But you as a creative nail tech can use it for inspiration to create something hot and new that will work for your clients! But, alas, most of my clients are not interested in what the hottest stars are wearing. They just want to match their personality.

I no what u mean its hard to see what the trends will be. I am new to here and just buy looking on the forums you can hear the new products that are out and about etc. I have seen that as its football season minx are doing the union jack and england flag as minx but i dont no where to get them from i have looked on sweet squared and googled but cant find them any ideas where to get them from??

Lucky you C-C! Getting to pick and choose what's fashionable!
I was told yesterday that sweet2 london would have the flags in today.

Lucky and not so lucky! I am the only one in my town that does gel, uses clay canes, decals, Gelish, Shellac, custom mixes color or glitter or 3D! I have tried to get some other techs on line with some of this stuff, but man are they diehards! I am only physically able to work part time and trying to fit in everyone that wants something "out of the ordinary" is impossible! And just because you have a little bit of creativity, most think you can work miracles!

I no what u mean its hard to see what the trends will be. I am new to here and just buy looking on the forums you can hear the new products that are out and about etc. I have seen that as its football season minx are doing the union jack and england flag as minx but i dont no where to get them from i have looked on sweet squared and googled but cant find them any ideas where to get them from??

You can't really predict trends ... you make trends happen and you hear about them right here on salongeek.

Minx are available to order from Sweet Squared 08452106060 .. you will have to ring to order them.

You may not be able to see them on the website as they only just hit the shelves, but you can see some pics of them in the Shellac Lovers Group. Join the group by clicking on groups above and join up.

mizzy_dizzy-albums-minx-picture28358-getattachment-jpg4.jpg

Lol I know what you mean C-C! I would love to sit down and create for hours but some clients don't understand that what they want can not be achieved in the time of one appointment and suggesting doing something less is like the end of the world!

Geeg the minx look great, can't wait to try them! Brig on the world cup.

There are companies that you can pay a lot of money to who will tell you what colors and textiles will be "in" each season for the next two years. Funnily enough, not only fashion and nail paint, but even the colors of cars are influenced by this. Methinks there is a great color god in the sky controlling all of us!

However, they don't predict nail fashions (other than color). What I see is that some shapes and styles become more popular (eg. the Edge shape) amongst enthusiasts but in the real world not much changes.

Minx is a nice product but not a major trend setter. If anything is "in" it's the ability to make darn good nails - that will make you different and popular.

There are companies that you can pay a lot of money to who will tell you what colors and textiles will be "in" each season for the next two years. Funnily enough, not only fashion and nail paint, but even the colors of cars are influenced by this. Methinks there is a great color god in the sky controlling all of us!

However, they don't predict nail fashions (other than color). What I see is that some shapes and styles become more popular (eg. the Edge shape) amongst enthusiasts but in the real world not much changes.

Minx is a nice product but not a major trend setter. If anything is "in" it's the ability to make darn good nails - that will make you different and popular.

Come on Bob, where have you been? :hug: Minx is beyond HUGE and a major trend setter. We can't buy enough of it before it is out the door. To say it is not a major trend is just not true (maybe where you live but not in most counties where Minx has good distribution.)

Minx was kinda the same way in a lot of the States, flash in the pan and now it's just about over. It seems to be in all the swap shops.

Minx was kinda the same way in a lot of the States, flash in the pan and now it's just about over. It seems to be in all the swap shops.

And this statement is not borne out by fact either.

I know what Minx is doing in the States and around the rest of the world and for anyone to say it is not a major trend is not armed with the facts. Also, anyone has to admit that 2 years of phenomenal sales and business for salons is hardly a 'flash in the pan'.:D

ALL the swap shops??? Come on what kind of a silly statement is that? If posting on the www at least try to be somewhat realistic and accurate in what you say.

I have to admit, I love the high end fashion mags. It allows me to see the oncoming trends that will soon hit the high street shelves as well as what's going to be on people nails. Celeb gossip and entertainment breaking news alway has me looking at what someone has on there nails.

So my question is, how do you keep up with what trends are soon to hit us as nail techs? Do you read every mag that comes your way or do you just go by word of mouth and find out when people start asking for it?

I also check the magazines, the Sunday Times Style Magazine being the best (IMHO) and I am lucky that one of my neices is a Fashion Designer based in London who usually lets me know what colours will be in a season ahead!! Also it does pay to use search engines to seek out what colours are going to be in in autumn winter 201o etc.....as Bob says whatever colours are big for paint companies and fabric companies always filters through to fashion.

That said....do we need to bother?, our distributors/manufacturers do this for us, and provide the relevant colurs in their Polish Collections.
They also market the latest products for us, Minx, Shellac, Gellish to name but a few which in turn if we take on these ranges brings customers to our doors!!

Minx has appeared in more Fashion magazines including the SundayTimes Style magazine, than any other product I have seen.
I too thought it would be a flash in the pan, :o but it is still going from strength to strength with more and more celebrity clients wearing it.
Love it or Loathe it it is here to stay, and your customers want it!!!

Oh....and the next big thing according to STSM....hand painted nail art!! Of course that was before soak off gel hybrids hit the market......so let's see!

I am only training still but find that all of the salons in my local area only offer the following : white tips, natural tips, white tips, predesigned tips, white tips, occasional airbrushing ( but most people are told their nails aren't worn long enough for the designs ), white tips - you get the drift!

I have so many friends and people in my area wanting me to hurry up and qualify because I work on my own nails with canes, glitters, acrylic paint for art, piercings, coloured acrylic and never go for white tips! I know that most salons near me do what is easiest, quickest and drains the most profit out of a client but a nail biter with white tips on just doesn't look very nice at all :(

Latest posts

Back