French tips on very bitten nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicksta

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have a new client who has very bitten nails, she works in a hairdressers so obviously has her hands in water a lot of the time washing hair. She hates them so much but i am convinced that if i can get them looking nice for her she would not feel inclined to have a nibble. The only option I could think of for her was french tips with gel. There is no free edge to use as a base for a sculpture and the 'well' area on a normal nail extention practically covers 2 thirds of her nail (she has very tiny fingers and nails). So as the well area on the tips is smaller i thought this would be the best option. .... However, I am a bit concerned about how long these are going to stay on for! Has anyone tried this on someone with lots of contact to water before. i use calgel.

hi

as your client has badly bitten nails, french tips may not look good as there will be more white than pink. Try taking a bit more out of the well on a natural tip and keep the extension short perhaps to the tip of the finger, just explain to your client that as her nail grows her nails can be left just that little bit longer. in the first instance i would suggest that she pops in on a weekly basis to over come any problems she may have initially as she will have more problems than someone with longer nail beds.

good luck (hope that makes sense):rolleyes:

i wouldnt go that way at all, white french tips will not look at all good on bitten nail beds.

if you cant sculpt ,pre tailor and blend a natural tip , removing most of the well are so that ther is just a little to sit on the free edge of her natural nail.

then either work with a coverage pink gel to extend the nail bed or apply all one colour and polish a french on afterwards for a much more flattering and balanced look.

i wouldnt go that way at all, white french tips will not look at all good on bitten nail beds.

if you cant sculpt ,pre tailor and blend a natural tip , removing most of the well are so that ther is just a little to sit on the free edge of her natural nail.

then either work with a coverage pink gel to extend the nail bed or apply all one colour and polish a french on afterwards for a much more flattering and balanced look.

totally agree

U dont need any free edge to be able to sculpt, just tailor the form so it fits perfect and your away :)

i agree with angel fingers aswell,
but saying about sculptig is not a possibility as there is no free edge to sit the form underneath,
i sculpt a bitten nail with no free edge by holding the form in place
maybe that might be a possiblity, instead of the french tip or go with the pre tailored tip
sorry if ive repeated anyone lol

( wine!!!)

what about a natural tip blend then apply the white tip where the smile line should be. I think there is a post somewhere its called piggy backing

you could custom blend, and make the natural nail abit longer, before adding a smidgen of white free edge

french tips - i would deffo say - NO WAY - they will look unsightly and unbalanced hunny

i have had this problem many times the easiest thing to do is blend natural tips then paint or airbrush french on top, i also sometimes offer a glitter acrylic base that the girls love with the french or on its own xxx

You really will not find the calgel lasting long at all over tips where there is little to put them onto especially over white tips and as she is a hairdresser.
I would give her a manicure so her cuticles are neat and tidy and ready for extensions then apply the calgel strengthener hopefully this will help stop her biting her nails so you will have a bit of free edge for the form.
I know sculpting can be done on a very bitten nail but it is hard to fit the form if like me you are still quite inexperienced .
Thing is as well if she is that much of a nail biter and cant stop at all, she will almost certainly chew off the Calgel.
If you can get the calgel on her then remind her of the importance of oiling especially when she working.

Latest posts

Back