friends who needs them

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna-louise

Reaction score
Today I banged my finger and my tip pinged off. Well anyway about 5 mins ago I was talking to my friend who noticed my nail and said "oh that happened to me all my tips just fell off" to which I replied they don`t just fall off Ibanged my finger.
Anyway to get to the story whilst I was training she let me practice on her all the time. Not just enhancements but mani`s and pedi's as well, which I really appreciated. Two weeks ago she asked me to do her nails as she really liked what I was wearingso I did them for her and charged her a tenner for them (I told her that once I qualified I would charge her to cover for products used, but your time is just as important. Anyway I feel that because I charged her she is miffed at me because all the freebies where absolutely fine. Sorry to go on but I am gutted at the moment and soaking my nails off at the moment to do more to cheer myself up.

donna-louise

What a shame your friend is being so unkind - I think you're right about the fact that they are not freebies any more is making her a little bitter.

You're absolutely right in that tips don't just fall off - so don't let her guilt trip you into a new set for free! £10 more than a reasonable amount to pay for a set OR a rebalance come to that! Some places charge two thirds the cost of a new set for a rebalance, so she's getting a good deal.

A nice new set on yourself will make you feel much better anyway - make them extra special and when you friend whats the same ones, tell her they cost extra ;) :evil:

Chin up Chick

T

good on you for charging your friend! i really need a big kick up the backside when it comes to this!! i always tell my guinea pig...oh its ok, i dont want a tenner, just give me five to cover my costs.....then kick myself till the next time when i do it again!! my other friend is always getting free polish and nail art etc and her two daughters who are next in line! she wouldnt dream of paying! more fool me for that! i wish i had the courage to say i was going to charge them even if it was half price. think ive made a rod for my own back now and its hard to stop it once it starts. Well done you!!

Aspirations said:
good on you for charging your friend! i really need a big kick up the backside when it comes to this!! i always tell my guinea pig...oh its ok, i dont want a tenner, just give me five to cover my costs.....then kick myself till the next time when i do it again!! my other friend is always getting free polish and nail art etc and her two daughters who are next in line! she wouldnt dream of paying! more fool me for that! i wish i had the courage to say i was going to charge them even if it was half price. think ive made a rod for my own back now and its hard to stop it once it starts. Well done you!!

Sherrie
The trick is to set the scene a couple of weeks before you start charging them ;) Mention how short of money you are, how much you've just spent on tips/varnish/gel/whatever, and that you are starting to think about charging the people you've been doing freebies for because you're starting to lose money blah blah. All casual, in that chit-chat girlie way we do when gossiping to our mates ;)

Then next time she comes you can just say 'I'm going to have to charge you for your nail art/polish this time' <big smile> 'not much, just enough to cover my expenses' <big smile> It's hard to resist someone with a big smile on their face.........Bam! It's done - you're quids in!!

Go on - you know you want too :D

LOL.....yes i do want to! i added up what ive spent just in the last couple of months! ok not all essentials....a couple of airbrushes etc, but also a conversion course and stuff i do NEED to get better......I couldnt believe it!! im going to have to get tough and charge. maybe i should do a friends price list and hand it out before they ask me to do anything else? at least then they would know they are expected to pay! i'd still feel bad taking more from my guinea pig though....she has been a godsend! what do you think?? x

Hi Sherrie i was in a similar situation when my mates wanted something for nothing. They know what my nails were like when i started and they love the way they are now, so i always say to them, (with a smile on my face) You have to pay for quality work, and nail kits don't grow on trees.

I charge everyone the same now, even mates. I think they respect you more in the end. The only person i don't charge full wac is my Aunt, who has been there through some awful nails. Now though she loves showing off the designs i do, plus i'm lucky that she will let me try anything on her, so i have learnt so much through her being my guinea pig. Its like having a live version of the nail trainer...lol.

Aspirations said:
maybe i should do a friends price list and hand it out before they ask me to do anything else? at least then they would know they are expected to pay!

A 'friends' price list - you're generous, I have no such thing!

I've made it clear to all my friends there are no freebies and they pay the same as everyone else.

There seems to be a lot of concern about offending friends and lots of 'friends' seeming to think they qualify for freebies. Sorry, but if they are TRUE friends they will not be offended by being charged and shouldn't make you feel guilty for doing so.

My friends got freebies when I used them to practice mani/pedi techniques, as they were doing me a favour. Now I have qualified, if they ask for their nails to be done I send them my prices first. None of them has been offended by this and have even said they are very reasonable!

Once I've done my FDFC and need people to practise putting enhancements on I will make a small charge for this to cover materials used. When I've had enough practice to be creating good quality nails I will up this.

B

Hmmm......you are right! I mentioned to my hubby about a friends price list.....He said 'What for??' ...'give them one of your price lists and if they want them done they'll pay full price, or they can go elsewhere'...... I then think 'too right! why should i give a discount' but when the crunch comes i cave in! I think it is expected that i will do it cheaper, my friend of 30 years actually says to me 'how much, for me i mean?' LOL!! and instead of saying sorry thats the price, take it or leave it.....i say, oh no course i will do it for you cheaper than that.......MUG!! LOL!!

OK Im gonna toughen up!! afterall business is business! :)

I actually had a couple of friends - a rather a friend and her friends - come for back massages last week - and me being me, thought I wouldn't charge them the full amount so when it came to paying me I told them just half is fine - but they were having none of it - they paid me full and also took no change back! £2 tip from both - I was really chuffed and felt good - they are also nail techs and one of them did the nail tech course with me and they sadi it wasn't fair not to take the full price as they were in the exact situation as me - starting off with their careers and so they understood how it is when friends/family take advantage.

I am quite bad though - I do do treatments for free for some family/friends I charge a discounted price - maybe I need to toughen up tooo....:)

I made a point of saying to all my friends that when I was training they would just be charged for the products used but as soon as I qualify, full price. This has worked fine for me, my friends knew where they stood before I qualified. All of them come to me now and pay full price and are very understanding about it. Afterall I dont just do this for my health, I do want to make some money from this aswell.

Only two people get their nails done for free by me....one is my Mum and the other is ME!!!!!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back