Fungal infection?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxandpolish

Reaction score
Hi
I've only recently qualified and had a friend come to see me today wanting a pedicure. She plays lots if tennis and said that her toes are often bruised. On looking at her big toe though I think she might have a fungal infection. I suggested she visited her dr or chiropodist. The nail was very yellow at free edge which was more due to her polish staining the nail but nearer the eponychium it looked thicker, had whiter marks and deeper yellowing and when I tapped it it sounded hollow! Two of her other nails are also incredibly thick with a build up of fibrous material under them.

Can I ask what you would have done? Would you give a pedicure? If you would on the thicker nails would you try to reduce thickness? Someone had told her to file the nail hard to reduce the depth but I was reluctant to do this!
Thank you ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1382969930.833615.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1382969958.394297.jpg

Big toe def looks fungal to me. Tel her she needs to see the doc. If it's not, no harm done. But better safe than sorry.

Hi
I've only recently qualified and had a friend come to see me today wanting a pedicure. She plays lots if tennis and said that her toes are often bruised. On looking at her big toe though I think she might have a fungal infection. I suggested she visited her dr or chiropodist. The nail was very yellow at free edge which was more due to her polish staining the nail but nearer the eponychium it looked thicker, had whiter marks and deeper yellowing and when I tapped it it sounded hollow! Two of her other nails are also incredibly thick with a build up of fibrous material under them.

Can I ask what you would have done? Would you give a pedicure? If you would on the thicker nails would you try to reduce thickness? Someone had told her to file the nail hard to reduce the depth but I was reluctant to do this!
Thank youView attachment 46481View attachment 46482

You did absolutely the right thing. A podiatrist could perhaps thin them down but not you as a nail tech especially if there is something going on.

Remember that bruising under the toenails is very common with athletes and walkers etc. but also remember that bruising is a contra-indication to treatment in its own right ! That, plus thinking that something might have got started is double trouble. Quite right to recommend that someone who is trained to deal with it, deal with it.

My rule ... If in doubt ... DON'T!

Geeg, could you please explain why bruising is a contraindication?

X

Geeg, could you please explain why bruising is a contraindication?

X

According to the NVQ standards ... A bruised nail is a contra-indication to enhancement application and other nail treatments. lt should not be enhanced presumably because it could cause pain or possible onycholysis. It is always listed as a standard contra-indication.

Thank you for your replies. It was a good learning experience for me but have to admit to being a bit terrified when I saw them! I only saw nice nails on my course and was dreading my first problem set and the referral to gp etc but at least I've got it out of the way and will feel more confident next time.

Can I just ask - on the second picture the middle toe-nail looks a bit thick - is that a fungal infection too? My sister has one like that, been like it for years. It's very thick in height and a bit yellow and flaky. It's never spread. Her GP says it's not an infection but I wasn't so sure so didn't do her toes last time. Thanks x

Can I just ask - on the second picture the middle toe-nail looks a bit thick - is that a fungal infection too? My sister has one like that, been like it for years. It's very thick in height and a bit yellow and flaky. It's never spread. Her GP says it's not an infection but I wasn't so sure so didn't do her toes last time. Thanks x

If the GP has recently confirmed the nail is not fungal then why would you not accept that diagnosis. No one here can or should diagnose from a photo! We shouldn't diagnose at all .. We are not trained to do that.

Sorry, I may have worded that wrong, I'm not saying the GP is wrong - I'm just wondering what has happened to the nail. All he told her was that it's not an infection - no other explanation, but I was worried it might be some other kind of contra-indication anyway.

Hi elmojo

It is very thick - at least 5mm in depth maybe more - her little toe was the same. I've read that it can be caused by damage to the nail if its not fungal. Just about to go and get my doug schoon book out and re read that bit.

My husband has a nail like that - and has had since I met him 18 years ago. It's not fungal (has been tested) but doctor doesn't know what it is. Has never spread.

According to the NVQ standards ... A bruised nail is a contra-indication to enhancement application and other nail treatments. lt should not be enhanced presumably because it could cause pain or possible onycholysis. It is always listed as a standard contra-indication.

Could you give me our advice on this ?
My friend had her nails done and the next day her fingers were swollen around cuticle and in fire x
I thought she had a reaction to the soak off she had but this was only on 2 fingers x
After a few days they looked like this!

I said go the doctors !

XxImageUploadedBySalonGeek1382995568.392081.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1382995580.260521.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1382995601.857459.jpg

Could you give me our advice on this ?
My friend had her nails done and the next day her fingers were swollen around cuticle and in fire x
I thought she had a reaction to the soak off she had but this was only on 2 fingers x
After a few days they looked like this!

I said go the doctors !

XxView attachment 46520View attachment 46521View attachment 46522

😳 Those definately need a doctor and sharpish !! Reaction?! Maybe ouch!

😳 Those definately need a doctor and sharpish !! Reaction?! Maybe ouch!

Thats what i said x 😁
Her middle nail started to lift from nail bed and the manicurist put a nail on top of it !
I was shocked , i wouldn't of attempted anything x
This was right of me wasn't it xx

What was used on her ... A gel?

A odour free L&P?

Seen it before quite a few times .. She has had a reaction.

What was used on her ... A gel?

A odour free L&P?

Seen it before quite a few times .. She has had a reaction.

Originally she had bio sculpture , then had that removed and had acrylic and this happened after the infill of acrylic x
She had 2 repairs at the same time x

At first it actually looked like her cuticle area was burnt of the acetone on the 2 fingers but then the other fingers started x

Thank for your reply geeks xx

Originally she had bio sculpture , then had that removed and had acrylic and this happened after the infill of acrylic x
She had 2 repairs at the same time x

At first it actually looked like her cuticle area was burnt of the acetone on the 2 fingers but then the other fingers started x

Thank for your reply geeks xx

Acetone does not burn people's skin but it does dehydrate it. This looks more than dehydration. But having said that her fingers don't look red or swollen like an allergy. Hydrating her skin won't hurt, but I would also get it checked out.
How long was she in contact with the acetone in other words how long did the soak off take?
If she has used Bio she must have had her nails soaked off many times before without this reaction?

It looks like some of this was pre existing and maybe left her more susceptible to a reaction. My guess is the monomer and maybe the brush touched the skin a bit too much.

My suggestion would be to remove the L&P and see if it calms down but a trip to the Dr is good.

It looks like some of this was pre existing and maybe left her more susceptible to a reaction. My guess is the monomer and maybe the brush touched the skin a bit too much.

My suggestion would be to remove the L&P and see if it calms down but a trip to the Dr is good.

Her fingers were absolutely fine before hand x
All products have been removed around 2 weeks ago,
I just couldn't upload pics at that time xx

Latest posts

Back