Geeks in glasses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
I have had my new glasses for only a fortnight.. my last pair were so badly scratched and towards the end i could barely see through them.

Now this new pair has little round dots which look glittery that will not come off.. I look after my glasses, after a service i run them under water before wiping with supplied cloth to dislodge any dust that may scratch.. after two weeks to see these dots has got me thinking that my job is causing me to go through more pairs a year then normal jobs would..

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and does anyone have any advice in keeping them from getting too scratched.

I need my glasses when im concentrating.. I cant focus properly without them, Im wondering if i can insure them or claim them on Tax when i get a new pair as a work related expenditure.. These Glasses cost me a fortune and at this rate ill need at least a pair a year.. which is going to add up in the long run..

any tips from geeks on protecting glasses appreciated. x

Hi, I have such problems with my glasses too :irked: I hate the glare that gets thrown back off things, I hate the steam ,and the mist that gathers when I get hot ,
it sounds your glasses have been coated with an anti glare treatment ,
I had some like these in the past and they did that
I used to think "what the heck are those shiny spots things ? "
then when you look around for the shiny spots they go away only to re appear :eek:

its usually caused by the reflection of something else around you ,
do the glasses look ever so slightly mirror toned when you look at them ?
if so it usually wears away in time, but its a nuicance , I would take them back and ask them can they do something to help ?

I am so fed up I am going to save up and do what all the other canny lasses have done on here .... I think its called Lasiks eye treatment
as I am as blind as a bat and simply cannot see without my glasses
and I get so fed up of hunting for them grrr ,
:hug: x minky

I have had antiglare put on Minks and do you know what everyone who has ever had it has complained about it.. more trouble then its worth!!
I have asked about contacts and lazer eye surgery.. but I have astigmata (or some such) ((no i dont bleed from my palms lol).. which means my eyes are shaped like footballs.. (Aussie ones-think rugby) so I only need my glasses when i want things sharper and clearer.. which is all the time actually!!

I was starting to think it was little bits of acrlylic so thanks for clearing that up.. I keep a fair distance from clients hands.. but sometimes you cant help but find your nose close to the fingers!!

Thanks minks.. Ill take em in and see what they say, now that i feel better about it not being something I have done to them.. only had em just over a week!!!

Chels.....LOL at Stigmata. Astigmatism, I have it too. Football eyes (not round, oval) and yep, I can't get lasik either and contacts, I'd have to have those hard ones (tried it about 25 years ago, OUCH).

What I have done girls is I have two pair of glasses. One for work and one for all other. The work ones DO NOT HAVE antiglare, but do have antiscratch which is different. Bloody expensive either way (my glasses are $600 each pair...eek). I reuse the frames thankfully (which is about $400 of the cost) so its just replacing the lenses mostly.

And yes, I think you can use it as a work expense as long as you have one pair for work, specificially. I would ask IRD or a tax accountant to be sure, as each country has different laws. If they are specifically for work, they fall under the same category as uniforms.

Good Luck

Nancy :)

p.s. Chels, I'll be giggling all day, thank you, god knows I need it.

I am blind as a bat also, and I wear Acuvue Oasys contacts. Love them. Never dry out, even in all the dust and hairspray and such. And they DO make them for astigmatism, and most companies make a soft lens for astigmatism. You don't have to have the hard ones anymore. I knowit's not recommended to wear contacts when you do nails because of the vapors, but..I literaly cannot work with glasses, my eyes are way too bad.

Hi Jess,

Sadly, my astigmatism is so bad, that I would have to wear the hard ones. One optometrist explained it to me this way - he could give me the soft contacts, but I would still need glasses on top of them to properly correct my vision. Just not worth it for me. This was, oh, three years ago in Florida, so it was pretty recent.

My brother, on the other hand, is able to wear the soft contacts cos his astigmatism isn't as bad as mine.

I'm just destined to be a four eyes for life. I resolved myself to that when I was about 6......lol

Nancy :)

Oh bummer...I didn't know of the limit. At least glasses are an accessory :)

i also have a Astigmatism problem, was told i couldent use contacts! but with a second opionion! i have just been fitted successfuly into daily toric lenses torics are soft lenses designed for rugby shaped eyes (they float ontop of the eye) ive worn glasses since i was 12 and love having the option not to now

u should ask again it was 5years ago i was told there was no way and they were wrong
goodluck

any tips from geeks on protecting glasses appreciated. x

I only do nails but this is what I do. My regular glasses are bi-focals (God, that makes me sound so OLD...LOL) and cost $250.00 but I need something a little 'more' when doing nails. My eye doc said I could use cheap reading glasses. I bought the cutest, funkiest pair of reading glasses for a buck at Target. They work fab, they magnify everything AND I don't ruin my real glasses. HTH! :)

Ooooo hey , I think the rugby shape eyes are in my family too!... as a couple of my kids have that and irlens...
so I dont know whether I have got them ,:eek: I will have to ask ,
so rugby shaped eye balls means you can't have Laziks eye treatment then? awwe that so sucks :cry: ,

and I don't think I can get contact lenses either ! as I (can't see close up) thats all ,
it really is very bad, I have to have glasses like Little Grohl does too ,
Ill bet we will end up with the bi focals too , dratt :irked:

so rugby shaped eye balls means you can't have Laziks eye treatment then?

I've got astigmatism in one eye and I've had laser surgery very successfully. It probably depends on the individual, but don't rule it out. Go and have a consultation, they'll be able to tell you straight away if you're suitable.

I have astigmatism - I usually wear specs, but have worn toric monthly lenses and years ago - gas permeable ones. I really can't be bothered with lenses most of the time tho'!

Latest posts

Back