Gel application help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glittergirl

Blingin' Brummie Geek
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone got any tips on Gel application? I'm finding it hard to build up my Apex's i'm using EN Dream Products I usually work with L&P and don't have any problems but L&P is a bit more "solid" if you know what i mean.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Jodie,
You need to place your bead of gel and then with the edge off your brush only touching the bead of gel, Tease the gel outwards leaving the main body of the bead to form the apex.
Hths

if you find your apex 'melts' into the sidewalls just hold the hand upside down, you need to keep an eye on it and move the hand to position the apex. dont worry if it looks too high, it will level out when you turn the hand back over.

no disrespect intended but isn't that the lazy way to form an apex?

not when you consider that most gel is self leveling, and in the summer or if its hot it can drip all over the place and into side walls and then you will get lifting. Its by no means the lazy way as you have to move the hand around to position the gel. Its merely another technique.

Have you read the latest Scratch? Theres loads on there about gels this month. Doesnt Gigi also have a tutorial on here about gel application?

Regardless - dont treat gel like L&P - float and glide your brush over the gel using as much surface area of the brush as possible. Do minimal 'stroking'

As far as the 'flip the hand over' apex trick - it may be lazy but can help in some situations. If you are doing it ALL the time to get your apex - Im sure you could do it easier - but if its just occasionaly then I think its a decent trick of the trade ;)

some times i find that one hand is perfect without turning over, then the other needs a little 'upside down work' ...must be as the gel warms up. have you ever got just one finger that wont play nice?! i have!! and it comes in real handy for that without disturbing the others. like if you cant get it right and the others have started creeping into the side walls.

people usually think im insane when i ask them to turn their hand over!!

I saw a very nice lady doing the hand flip thing at Birmingham NEC and thought it looked a great idea for those clients with really flat nails....i have used this meathod a few time and it does work....sometimes i think white tips are lazy but they are still popular...xxx

theres nothing wrong with being lazy as long as you are still thorough!!

Is that a complete contradiction in terms or what?! lol.

what i mean is, theres no harm doing things the easy way as long as it doesnt affect the quality of the finished product! :D

I flip the thumbs if I'm taking too long and the gel starts to run and I dont think its the lazy way I think its a god send especially when I've difficault fingers in front of me!

Glittergirl after covering the entire nail with a thin layer you can try placing a line of gel horizontally across the stress area then dripping thin lines from cuticle to tip vertically. Tease the gel into a lovely shape by moving with the side of your brush.The horizontal line will make the arch so your nail should be thin, thick, thin. Look at the nail from the side and barrel. This mostly works if you have a thin gel - but its just another way.

HTHs

Thanks Guys

Sorry its took me so long to reply.

I have had a breif skim through Scratch but i will def have a read thank you

I 'll have a go tonite and let you know how i get on.
Thanks again

I love my stringey gel, if theres a little bump i just srtring a bit of gel over it and let it level in. this is why ilove gel so much, ad cant get on with acrylic so well. Because acrylic sorta goes where you put it, then cures, whereas gel goes where you manupulate it to go then yuo can cure it when your happy lol.

How long does the actual gel application take everyone??? not including tipping and prepping or finishing.

probably about 15-20mins? Application with gel is the quickest part tipping, blending and prep takes the longest - I'm very fussy about cuticles!

yeah, it takes me about 15 minutes.

Hi
I have just read this thread and a thought came into my head. When I go back home to Turkey I will be mostly doing UV Gel. The heat! At the moment its around 47 degrees where i live. How will this affect the Gel and also how will it affect my product application, should I adapt it a bit or do just exactly the same.

Thanks

Hi
I have just read this thread and a thought came into my head. When I go back home to Turkey I will be mostly doing UV Gel. The heat! At the moment its around 47 degrees where i live. How will this affect the Gel and also how will it affect my product application, should I adapt it a bit or do just exactly the same.

Thanks

you will find that your gel will be runnier in the heat.
you may want to store it in the fridge.
another thing you could try is giving each nail a quick 'freeze cure' when you have applied the gel so that it does not run into the side walls after the application whilst you are doing the other nails.

hi soz im just getting into doing gel ,everyones talking about apex i havent the foggest what that means soz for being so dumb ,i have i rough idear is it the middle of the nail bed ooh :rolleyes:

hi sorry I'm just getting into doing gel ,everyone's talking about apex I haven't the foggiest what that means, sorry for being so dumb, I have a rough idea, is it the middle of the nail bed ooh :rolleyes:
The apex is also known as the stress area, it's zone 2 of the enhancement.

hth's

this may help

Building a Better Gel Arch
UV light-cured gel enhancements are more popular than ever. Here’s how to fine-tune your arch technique to create the most beautiful nails possible. by Erin Snyder Dixon

The strength and beauty of nails rely on the structural blueprint of the enhancement. Gel nails offer flexibility and toughness. They also offer the ultimate workability, giving the technician time to tweak and perfect the design before curing. So, whether you choose to sculpt on a form or use nail tips, putting some extra effort into the arch will end in splendid results.
Drizzling
“My favorite technique for building a perfect arch is to drizzle the gel onto the nail at the apex,” says Tina Albanese-Stauffer, owner of Tina’s Natural Nails in Rochester, N.Y., and an NSI educator. “I dip my brush in the gel and pull up a string. When the string breaks I hold the brush above the apex of the nail. As I move my brush from east to west above the nail, the gel drizzles down building the arch.” She lets the gel settle slightly and locks it in place by curing for 20 seconds. “It’s so easy; just let the product do the work for you,” she says.
Albanese-Stauffer points out that as your drizzle the product from above the nail, the brush never touches the nail. The gel lays right down and self-levels to fill and build up the apex.
Her other tips to get your drizzle on:
• Practice picking up product.
• Get a feel for how much product you must pick up to create the string.
• Use tips to practice drizzling.
• “Lock” or “freeze” the effect by curing for 20 seconds before drizzling the next nail. Fully cure the whole hand once all arches have been built.
Upside Down
“Establish a foundation layer of gel. Float in the body of the nail with the builder gel of your choice and turn the hand upside down,” says Greg Salo, president of Young Nails.
“Gravity will do its job and pull the product into place.” Freeze the look before turning the hand over for a full cure. “You should always look at the side profile as well,” he advises.
Stringing
Stringing is the technique used to guide product from one area of the nail toward another. The brush is gently touched to the gel and pulled up and floated above the nail toward the area where it is needed. When the brush gently touches down to the gel again, the string ends. This is a great way to guide product away from the cuticle and bring it into the arch area.
Build the Free Edge First?
Talk to successful techs and competitors and you will find conflicting advice on whether to build the free edge or the nail bed area first. We tried it both ways and found the techniques worked equally well when practiced. It’s probably a lot like the difference between driving a car with an automatic transmission versus a stick shift. Once a driver gets accustomed to the feel, the ride is just as smooth either way. So go ahead and experiment a bit. Product manufacturers can help guide you to the techniques they have found work well for their formulations.
Color Density and the Apex “I tell nail technicians they should see a picture of the nail in their head,” says Daphne Shaffer, an educator for Creative Nail Design. “Picture the way you want it to look — that includes coloration of the nail bed. I always use clear for the first layer, then I layer pink as needed.”
She recommends making use of the gel color options, selecting softer colors for a more natural look and more vibrant ones for a dramatic look. Shaffer’s tips on use of color include:
• Keep white on the extension area.
• Don’t drag pink onto the white extension.
• Use clear to fill in, build up, or correct “architectural” imperfections.
Through Thick and Thin
Gels are available in many viscosities, with widely varying abilities to flow. And, the temperature in the salon can affect the viscosity of the gel you use. “Warmer conditions tend to make gels self-level more quickly,” says John Hauk, OPI’s technical and artistic advisor. “Choosing a gel that doesn’t self-level as quickly can save time. Just put the product where you want it and cure the nail.”
Viscosity is the resistance of a material to flow. For instance, a low-viscosity gel will flow more readily. Jim McConnell, president and chemist for Light Elegance, notes: “When working with a medium-viscosity gel, there will be a moment when the gel has a perfect arch and C-curve. This usually occurs 10 seconds after the gel application.” Techs can “freeze” the shape at this time. Just remember to fully cure the nail once all of the arches are “locked” in place.
Everything is Backwards “Forget everything you’ve learned about acrylic,” says Amy Becker, owner of Masterworks Innovations and the 2006 Nailympics gel category winner. “Everything is backward with gels.” She prefers to build the nail bed area first, then moves on to build her white extension edge. Becker’s other application tips include:
• Work your gel with the brush high above the nail.
• When working with a flat brush, keep one side free of product at all times. If you get product on both sides, you will lose control of the gel. Perfect Positioning “Techs need to learn how to work with the gel by layering to create the same results in shape and thickness as they do with acrylics. The arch should be the thickest section of the nail for strength,” points out Vicki Peters, vice president of Vicki Peters Signature Series for Kupa. KEYWORDS: technical, technique, how to do gel nails, gel nails problems, advice from the pros

Karen x

Latest posts

Back