Gel grrrrrrr!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that meg, i find that the white tips dont last long at all (3 days at the most before things start to lift!) and apparently that is down to the fact that the gel cannot cure properly against the white tip surface, which is why it tends to lift/peel at the free edge corners. I love the white tips and would love to find a way to get around this problem, please let me know how yours turn out. There are a few differences with bio and calgel and i believe bio nails u have to go through more steps.

so you hold the tip on with the gel? no glue? thats different ill try it. just gotmy exflow gel kit. should i apply 2 coats of gel ? is it posibble to build up the appex with gel? im trained in ezflow acrylic. iv been doing acrylic with gel top coats!

I use Neways living polymer gel which is a buff off gel. I had the same issue when I first started, tips broke off too easy or the gel lifted at the free edge. I'm sure I lost a few clients due to this ...

The Neways method is this:
1. prep natural nail and apply tip.
2. apply thin layer of gel in circles - cure 2 mins
3. if using white gel, apply smiles - cure 20 secs
3. apply thicker layer of gel making sure to spread gel along all edges of nail including tip of free edge - cure 5 mins

4. at this stage I like to completely buff the nail and apply another layer of gel and cure again. I found that doing this has improved the strength of the gel nail considerably and allows me to improve on the apex if need be.

It doesn't take too long to do and the clients are much happier with the life of their application. I also talk my customers out of having nails that are too long, especially biters as they are used to short nails and don't always handle long nails well.

Hi, I use IBD gel and I have never had any problems.
I do explain to clients who are wanting gel, that they shouldnt have their nails too long as they may break due to gel being more flexible. Keeping that in mind, I always ensure that I have built up the apex well and have removed the shine off the tips, so that the gel has something to adhere to.

hth x x

I never had any problems with IBD buff off gel either, Akaza!

With Bio, it's definitely better doing sculpture when clients want extension, and I do recommend sculpting.
I sculpted my nails 3 weeks ago, and still looking good.

Regarding white tip overlay, I followed the steps Naomi taught me, and made sure I built apex properly.
I didn't have lifting from free edge this time, but the corners of free edge was too weak, it's chipped after 3 days.

And muffin, you need to apply tips with adhesive after buffing the first layer of gel.

Meg

I use en Vogue gel and I never have problems with my clients breaking there nails unless they have done something like get them caught as for tip. I usualy sculp all of mine even on a nail bitter you can build out the nail plate in a soft pink thin give it a buff then apply your form and create a beautiful looking nail with the smile line where it should be. You can go to www.envoguenails.com and look under there application guide.

Thanks for that meg, i find that the white tips dont last long at all (3 days at the most before things start to lift!) and apparently that is down to the fact that the gel cannot cure properly against the white tip surface, which is why it tends to lift/peel at the free edge corners. I love the white tips and would love to find a way to get around this problem, please let me know how yours turn out. There are a few differences with bio and calgel and i believe bio nails u have to go through more steps.

A clear gel will cure perfectly well over a white tip as it is clear and the UV light can penetrate just fine.

It is only white or coloured gels that may not cure well and need to be used over a clear tip.

I sculpt or tip using CND Brisa gels and breakages and peeling are something I rarely encounter and certainly not after only 3 days!! It is a very strong gel .. as strong as L&P in fact.

Have you tryed other gel brands?
I love gel, but i must say i don't love Calgel, i do love Akzentz and Brisa. I found IBD not bad, so you should try other brands before giving up...

Latest posts

Back