Gel nails advice please !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nouk

Reaction score
Hello geeks,
Yesterday I went to a beauty salon and asked for gel nails as I have only experienced acrylic and wanted to see the difference between these and gel.
The lady then said to me that my nails are too short and therefore the nails would not last more than 3 days ? is this correct ? She told me that id be better off going to a 'chinese' nail shop . So i did just that and asked them how much gel would cost and whether she could do this for me.she said the gel is £30 and that gel is better quality then acrylic so i agreed and sat down to have my nails done.
As she did my nails i couldnt help but notice she did exactly the same method as if i was having acrylics done she even used powder and liquid and no gel. (now im not a nail expert or anything but I was told gel is supposed to be used).
My nails do look nice but 1 thing that is bugging me is that she actually did acrylic instead of gel and that i paid £10 more than i should have !( acrylic full set is £20)
Can anybody help/reassure me that i did actually get gel nails done and not acrylic and that i didn't get ripped off !

Thanks

No they wouldn't have been to short unless you bite them badly and even then you could have gel nails I was a bad biter and used to do gel nails on myself I have seen some quality work done by nail techs that change nails right around.

Secondly who ever the person you went to first clearly isn't that qualified in what she does 1 because she wouldn't do your nails and 2 because she sent you to an nss nail bar :evil:.now obviously you have Hurd what some of these places are like so why oh why did you go to one.

Unfortunately you can never be sure as to what they put on your nails as a lot of it is illegal.you had acrylics and yes they ripped you off a lot of nss bars promote gel powder to put a spin on things:rolleyes:.now gel and acrylic are made up of the same components just different forms acrylic liquid and powder uv gel is cured under a lamp.

A lesson learned I feel lol.xx

Last edited:
Hello geeks,
Yesterday I went to a beauty salon and asked for gel nails as I have only experienced acrylic and wanted to see the difference between these and gel.
The lady then said to me that my nails are too short and therefore the nails would not last more than 3 days ? is this correct ? She told me that id be better off going to a 'chinese' nail shop . So i did just that and asked them how much gel would cost and whether she could do this for me.she said the gel is £30 and that gel is better quality then acrylic so i agreed and sat down to have my nails done.
As she did my nails i couldnt help but notice she did exactly the same method as if i was having acrylics done she even used powder and liquid and no gel. (now im not a nail expert or anything but I was told gel is supposed to be used).
My nails do look nice but 1 thing that is bugging me is that she actually did acrylic instead of gel and that i paid £10 more than i should have !( acrylic full set is £20)
Can anybody help/reassure me that i did actually get gel nails done and not acrylic and that i didn't get ripped off !

Thanks

Gel is called gel because it is in a gel form when applying it is not something that is mixed infront of you like L&P i would say go back to the NSS but you would possibly be wasting ur breathe, past experience taught me they all of a sudden didnt speak english, but again like the above post if u know a bit about nails then why would you have gone there?!

Oh no they've messed you around! I don't get these salons! I'm starting up my own business & would NEVER dream of doing this, firstly tell you your nails are too short and secondly fob you off with acrylics. How do they get repeat clients? The mind boggles!

Awe poor you its funny tho I went to new York last year and thought I'd treat myself and get my nails done,

I myself can do both gel and acrylic but had not done my gel at the time so I said I'd get them to do gel,

as the same story she used a powder Nd what it looked to be glue it was the worst thing I've ever seen nails were full of bubbles if I had of known more at the time I would have refused and got up and walked out because god knows what the products were but it was a Chinese shop I didnt realise they had such a bad rep as I live in Ireland I don't see that many around compared to Irish girls in shops such a shame even cost me $60 never again that's for sure, how are they getting away with it are their Certs even real I pity the rest of their customers makes me so angry coz I love been a perfectionist Nd know that my customers walk away delighted

if it was gel you would have been popping your hands in and out of a lamp with each step, if no lamp was used it was probably acrylic.
i don't get all this NSS stuff though. cheap prices, yes. chancers , sounds like it . NSS ??? how do you know that...just because it's cheap?

Its gas ive known you need the lamp long b4 I did my gel course I'm jus a sucker when it comes to nice people because she gave such a great pedi after all that shopping my feet were killing me Nd I tot it was the best place to get nails, there were certificates all over the wall so I jus went along with it she even went on about how bad acrylic is for your nails but I didn't tell her I've done the course wanted to see how much bullcrap she was gonna tell me Nd I was shocked

Thank you for all of the replies !
Like I said I don't know anything about nails whatsoever and I just thought I'd trust the lady . Obviously was the wrong choice !
I'm so annoyed ! At both salons looks like I can't trust any in London I've been to so many and they never do a great job !
Do u think I should go back ? because I'm seriously fuming !

Latest posts

Back