Gel nails lifting and sometimes falling off....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fingertip2toes

Reaction score
Hi,

I qualified as a Nail technician in November and I'm still having problems with lifting and some nails falling off after about a week from application.:cry:

I ensure I do all the preperation, use primer etc, however sometimes the gel/acrylic drips down on client skin will this have anything to do with it?

When doing gel nails, I apply 3 thin layers, curing inbetween each layer etc and cure the last layer for around 4 mins, then use the finishing wipe to remove any excess residue from the nail before filing etc.

Many thanks
C

Hi,

I qualified as a Nail technician in November and I'm still having problems with lifting and some nails falling off after about a week from application.:cry:

I ensure I do all the preperation, use primer etc, however sometimes the gel/acrylic drips down on client skin will this have anything to do with it?
No Gel or acrylic should ever touch a clients skin this will cause the product to lift.

When doing gel nails, I apply 3 thin layers, curing inbetween each layer etc and cure the last layer for around 4 mins, then use the finishing wipe to remove any excess residue from the nail before filing etc.

Many thanks
C

It sounds as if your application is not correct see above.

Lelli is spot on - plus, are you building up any apex with your gel application? - what are your preparation steps?

Hi...what gel are you using....?

3 thin layers wont be creating the right amount of strength....its all about how you build those layers and where...they should be thinner in zone 3...thicker in zone 2 and taper down to thinner again in zone 1....its all in the application.

No gel should ever touch the skin

Hi,

I am being extra careful with the gel/acrylic and not letting it go on to the clients nails. As I'm aware that this can cause lifting - it's bloody hard not to get it on the skin!

Bagpuss - I wasn't aware of zones - please can you explain?

I'm using Nouveau gel and IBD Gel.

I prepare the nail by removing any cuticle etc, apply the tips - trim accordinly, then apply primer, allow to dry before applying the gel.......... apply one coat cure for 2/3 mins, apply 2nd coat cure for 2/3 mins, apply 3rd coat and apply for 5 mins. Then file and apply top coat nail varnish.

It's so frustrating as I need to get this correct!!

Thanks for your help.
C

Hi,

I am being extra careful with the gel/acrylic and not letting it go on to the clients nails. As I'm aware that this can cause lifting - it's bloody hard not to get it on the skin!

Bagpuss - I wasn't aware of zones - please can you explain?

I'm using Nouveau gel and IBD Gel.

I prepare the nail by removing any cuticle etc, apply the tips - trim accordinly, then apply primer, allow to dry before applying the gel.......... apply one coat cure for 2/3 mins, apply 2nd coat cure for 2/3 mins, apply 3rd coat and apply for 5 mins. Then file and apply top coat nail varnish.

It's so frustrating as I need to get this correct!!

Thanks for your help.
C

I am not sure who you trained with but you should always leave a margin between the gel and the clients sidewalls and cuticle.
What make of gel and lamp are you using ?

When you say remove cuticle from the nail - are you doing this wet by using a cuticle removing product or dry? How long does this stage normally take you?

Are you building your apex up to give the nails additional strength?

Forgot to ask - is the lifting happening in the same place every time before they fall off?

sorry... zone 1 is the free edge....zone 2 is the middle part of the nail and zone 3 is the cuticle area.

Just a thought, if you apply primer after the tips, don't apply it in the tips, only on the natural nail.

It may be a good idea to get in touch with the educator for your particular product and perhaps have a one to one.

Sorry if this doesn't sound hugely helpful, but sometimes it's a good idea to go back to basics. Quite often it can be the smallest mistake that causes the biggest problems.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :hug:

You know folks :lol: Building an apex is NOT just about applying more product in zone 2. The techs who do only this, do the nails that appear 'hippy' or have 'love handles'!!

The APEX runs down down the centre of the entire length of the nail right through all zones (like a spine or backbone of slightly thicker product).

Building your central apex as described above gives the enhancement incredible strength that only needs to be maintained at every appointment to last and last and last.

Get your 3D eyes on and picture it and do it and you will see a remarkable difference in the lasting quality of your nail enhancements.

To the poster, if your nails are not built as described, they will not last and product should never touch the skin or it will lift.

Your profile here on the geek is VERY thin and gives us no idea of what training if any you have had. Could this be the reason behind your problems? Only good training and a good product will help you to achieve success.

Latest posts

Back