Gel Nails, Peeling, Cracking and coming off.....Help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickiesBB

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using NSI balancing gels for nails and pretty much every set I am doing is either cracking, peeling or coming off with 24-48 hours and I just dont know what to do!

I am dehydrating the nail properly, filing the nail plate and nothing seems to be working.

I have been advised that it may be the product but NSI is supposed to be one of the best?

Im getting to a point I am scared of doing any gel nails or just waiting for my phone to go off because there is a problem.

Ive known people that have had gel nails done for years so why are mine any different??

Could really do with some guidance!! x :cry:

Hi, Did you do the NSI course? If so, I'd ring your educator and see what they say. Also, are you ensuring every last trace of non living tissue is removed from the nail plate before application? Are you using the NSI gels for the whole set and not interchanging with a different topcoat or something? Sorry I can't be of more help hun xx

Hi,

No thank you for taking the time to come back to me! I completed a gel course at my college and purchased the NSI products through them. I have followed both the step by steps from the college and also from NSI.

As far as Im aware i am removing all living tissue from the nail plate, but am really starting to doubt myself.

I use all NSI products so I am not interchanging the products. xx

Hi it might be worth doing a conversion course as every product is different I use Nsi acrylics and have never had a problem I also hope yo do the gel course soon! I do k ow people that have used balance gels and theyv never had a problem!:))

I use NSI for acrylics too and they have been fine, my apologies I probably should have been a little clearer, it was a gel coversion course that I done.

It must be something im doing, im just struggling to think of what :grr:

Talk us through each step that you do, from start to finish. That should help identify the problem :D

ok here we go......

firstly sanitise my clients hands and my own
apply vanish cuticle remover cream, massage into the cuticle, after a minute push back the cuticle and wipe off excess cream with NSI cleanse.

File and shape the natural nail

Wipe natural nail with Nail pure plus and leave to dry for one minute or until chalky, making sure to apply to side walls and free edge.

Add balance bond primer and leave to dry for a minute.

Apply tips and file into shape, brush away dust and apply nail pur plus again.

Apply builder gel - thin layer and cure for 90 seconds.
Apply further layer of builder clear gel and cure for 90 seconds
Apply finishing gel remembering to seal and cap the free edge for another 90 seconds.

Apply cleanse and condition with nurture oil if needed.

ok here we go......

apply vanish cuticle remover cream, massage into the cuticle, after a minute push back the cuticle and wipe off excess cream with NSI cleanse.

Wipe natural nail with Nail pure plus and leave to dry for one minute or until chalky, making sure to apply to side walls and free edge.

Apply finishing gel remembering to seal and cap the free edge for another 90 seconds.

Vickie,

Tell me about your lamp. Which lamp are you using and what is the wattage? Also, when is the last time the bulbs were replaced in your lamp?

Its a new lamp, only had it a month or so, its the daylight professional nail lamp - it has 2 settings - 90 seconds and 150 seconds.

Its a new lamp, only had it a month or so, its the daylight professional nail lamp - it has 2 settings - 90 seconds and 150 seconds.

How many bulbs does it have? Where did you get this lamp?

It was from beauty express, it has 4 bulbs

It was from beauty express, it has 4 bulbs

There is certainly a possibility that it is the lamp, since it is not from NSI. The fact that you are having problems so quickly after the service makes me think the gels are not curing completely. I looked at your steps and it looks as though you are doing everything correctly. Can you get a hold of an NSI lamp and see if it makes a difference?

not straight away unfortunatly due to money but do you think this could be a strong possibility? If so, ebay will be getting an item put on tonight :p

not straight away unfortunatly due to money but do you think this could be a strong possibility? If so, ebay will be getting an item put on tonight :p

I personally don't know anything about this lamp, so I can't say for sure. What I can say is that not all lamps are created equal and using a lamp that is not compatible with your gel system can cause big problems for you (like client overexposure). That is why it is always safest to use the lamp that was designed for you gel system.
Are you making sure you leave a tiny margin around the cuticle and sidewalls?

Also, try applying Balance Bond, letting it dry. and then going right to the gel. In your steps, it looks as though you might be wiping the nail with Nailpure Plus after applying Balance Bond. Basically, move your Balance Bond step until after you have tipped and dehydrated the nail.

Thank you so much for your help! I do leave a very small gap as you have suggested, thats the one thing I thought I wasnt doing wrong at the start.

Will look into getting my new NSI lamp :)

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT!!

:hug:

I think it's ur lamp aswel I use nsi and the nsi 36w lamp and don't have any issues, they had an offer on where the lamp and the gelkit was £140 the lamp is usually £100 on it's own deffo might make a difference xxx

Well this is interesting......

I was trained to cure my lock in layer/base layer for 60 seconds and then cure my builder layers for 2 minutes (not 90 secs), so when I read this thread this was my first thought, that the product is not curing correctly/for enough time.
The only product I ever cure for only 90 seconds is Glaze and Go as it states 90 sec in the instructions and this is what I was taught but from what I have been taught and read, all builder gels need 2 minutes.

I have never had any problems with curing for the 2 mins, I had one problem once of it chipping but that was because I know I put the gel on too thin and it couldn't withstand anything.
I do NOT use a NSI lamp but I use a 4 bulb, full hand cure lamp and all has been good so far.
I'm trying to figure out why a lamp would have a setting of 150 seconds?? That's 2 1/2 mins and I don't know of any product that cures for 2 1/2 mins, the common times are 90 secs, 120 secs or maybe 180 secs, I find this interesting I will admit.

I notice you use Nail Pure Plus twice, I have only ever used it the once in my steps which is either after applying/blending tips and before applying the primer or just before I apply a form to sculpt then I apply primer.

From the steps you have written down, unless you have made a mistake when writing them, you should not be using Nail Pure Plus AFTER the primer, it must be used before and then NOTHING should touch the nail after that except product of course:)

When you are wiping off the Vanish and cuticle, are you giving the nail a good scrub to make sure you have all product off?
Are you using the same wipe for all 10 nails? Maybe try using a clean wipe with clean Cleanse for last 5 fingers and make sure you turn/fold your wipe over and use a clean side after a couple of nails, this is what I do to make sure I am not just spreading what I am trying to remove from one nail to the next.
Also, there is no need to flood the nail with Nail Pure Plus to try and dehydrate it and the same goes for the primer, just use enough to do the job.
Another thing that might help that I do differently is, I have found no need to massage in the Vanish cuticle dissolve, I apply it by putting a dob (enough to do all 10 nails) onto a plastic backed pad (I don't like using my own back of my hand) and I use my pinky finger to dab it on to each nail and making sure I have it well covered. By the time I have finished the last nail the first is ready to start working on, I then use my cuticle pusher then my curette to remove cuticle. I wipe off using plain wipe first to get rid of the bulk of product and cuticle, then get another clean wipe and use with Cleanse by giving nail a good firm scrub to ensure it's all gone. I also make sure I wipe downwards off the end of the free edge and then get right into those side walls and cuticle area.
I do the same firm scrub using Nail Pure Plus when it's time for this step.

Small things like this can make all the difference:)
I hope some of these small hints I have given help, sometimes it can be the smallest of things that causes the problem.

ok here we go......

I noticed you said you apply the balance bond primer before tipping, filing and brushing....when you wipe with the nail pure again you are removing the B.Bond Primer...I complete my prep then always apply the B.Bond Primer (to the natural nail only) as my last step before applying the gel.
HTH x

Well this is interesting......

I was trained to cure my lock in layer/base layer for 60 seconds and then cure my builder layers for 2 minutes (not 90 secs), so when I read this thread this was my first thought, that the product is not curing correctly/for enough time.
The only product I ever cure for only 90 seconds is Glaze and Go as it states 90 sec in the instructions and this is what I was taught but from what I have been taught and read, all builder gels need 2 minutes.

I have never had any problems with curing for the 2 mins, I had one problem once of it chipping but that was because I know I put the gel on too thin and it couldn't withstand anything.
I do NOT use a NSI lamp but I use a 4 bulb, full hand cure lamp and all has been good so far.
I'm trying to figure out why a lamp would have a setting of 150 seconds?? That's 2 1/2 mins and I don't know of any product that cures for 2 1/2 mins, the common times are 90 secs, 120 secs or maybe 180 secs, I find this interesting I will admit.

I notice you use Nail Pure Plus twice, I have only ever used it the once in my steps which is either after applying/blending tips and before applying the primer or just before I apply a form to sculpt then I apply primer.

From the steps you have written down, unless you have made a mistake when writing them, you should not be using Nail Pure Plus AFTER the primer, it must be used before and then NOTHING should touch the nail after that except product of course:)

When you are wiping off the Vanish and cuticle, are you giving the nail a good scrub to make sure you have all product off?
Are you using the same wipe for all 10 nails? Maybe try using a clean wipe with clean Cleanse for last 5 fingers and make sure you turn/fold your wipe over and use a clean side after a couple of nails, this is what I do to make sure I am not just spreading what I am trying to remove from one nail to the next.
Also, there is no need to flood the nail with Nail Pure Plus to try and dehydrate it and the same goes for the primer, just use enough to do the job.
Another thing that might help that I do differently is, I have found no need to massage in the Vanish cuticle dissolve, I apply it by putting a dob (enough to do all 10 nails) onto a plastic backed pad (I don't like using my own back of my hand) and I use my pinky finger to dab it on to each nail and making sure I have it well covered. By the time I have finished the last nail the first is ready to start working on, I then use my cuticle pusher then my curette to remove cuticle. I wipe off using plain wipe first to get rid of the bulk of product and cuticle, then get another clean wipe and use with Cleanse by giving nail a good firm scrub to ensure it's all gone. I also make sure I wipe downwards off the end of the free edge and then get right into those side walls and cuticle area.
I do the same firm scrub using Nail Pure Plus when it's time for this step.

Small things like this can make all the difference:)
I hope some of these small hints I have given help, sometimes it can be the smallest of things that causes the problem.
I use NSI products, and i agree i was always was under the impression builder gels required 2 minutes curing time, but NSI builder gel requires only 90 seconds! The Brush On Gels however take 120 seconds in the uv lamp.
My Daylight 36watt UV Lamp also has the 90 secs and 150 secs times...odd :confused:

I use NSI products, and i agree i was always was under the impression builder gels required 2 minutes curing time, but NSI builder gel requires only 90 seconds! The Brush On Gels however take 120 seconds in the uv lamp.
My Daylight 36watt UV Lamp also has the 90 secs and 150 secs times...odd :confused:

As a general rule, transparent Balance gels take 90 seconds. White or opaque gels take 2 minutes. If you want to use your timer on your lamp, 150 second cure would be fine.

Latest posts

Back