Gel Nails???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickij

Reaction score
Hi Nail Geeks

I'm a beauty therapist wanting to learn how to do gel nails, gunna be doing some more research at olympia...

but until yesterday i had never had anything more than a reguler manicure done on my nails...

i wanted to see what gel nails look and feel like (without extensions since i cant have long nails for work) so went to local nail salon and asked for gel nails... this is where i got confused....:confused:

the girl used a purple liquid and a white powder to build up over my nail... but i was expecting a gel cured by uv light... but nothing of the sort...

just wondering if what i had done was actaully gel or was it acrylic???

i need to actually know what gel nails are before i start learning hahah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you've been hoodwinked...you've had Liquid and powder (aka acrylic)
Gel is the 1 cured under a uv lamp.
Good thinking to do your resarch at the beauty show, they are great places to gain a wealth of knowladge
:hug:

Gel will come in a pot .. it will already look like gel...no liquid or powder. It will cure under a uv lamp.

You have not had gel applied and If i was you I would go back and tell them that....I would be asking for my money back...its like buying bread and finding out you have been sold eggs...Its wrong and they shouldn't do it.

You have been miss-sold a product.

Well you didn't have a UV cured gel as you figured out yourself.

You had Liquid & powder.

But understand that they are both acrylic

You won't be able to research CND products at the show as CND will not be there.

CND Brisa Gel is one of the finest systems on the market and you can read many Q&A's about it right here on the site.
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/4115-brisa-gels-q.html

But for more course information re CND Brisa contact Welcome - Sweet Squared or ring 08452106060 and they will send you information.

Hmmmm...the clue is in the name UV Gel, did ya not get a lil suspect when she was using a liquid and powder and no lamp? It would be nice if we could trust every salon or nail bar to give us what we ask for but unfortunately, sadly and disappointingly...we can't. I suggest anyone who has never had enhancements/extenstion/overlays...whatever, do some research online first or ask to see their products etc. It's a lesson learnt, probably an expensive one :(

I'm sure there will be lots of different Gel systems at the show you can research, in the meantime if you have any question just post a thread or pm me or another Gel tech. :hug:

oh great! :irked:

i did suspect that i wasn't gettin gel nails... otherwise i wouldnt have started this thread... but i didnt say anything as i just thought it may be a different kind of gel that didnt need UV to set it... silly nicki!!!

i just didnt wanna seem like an annoying know it all client, after all she is the nail tech and i've never trained in anything like this... i just thought i'd trust the "professional"

i'm not a happy bunny!

I would go back to the salon and explain to them that it was gel nails you wanted yet they have done l&p, See what they have to say and hopefully you should get a refund or a new set of gels.

oh great! :irked:

i did suspect that i wasn't gettin gel nails... otherwise i wouldnt have started this thread...

I meant at the time...while you could have asked her.

omg, if i asked for gel and they gave me acrylic of vis versa i'd go mad!

it's like asking for your nails painted white and they paint them black
or asking for your hair dyed blonde and they dye it black.

I have been to NSS salons to have my nails done, because they are good at what they do and are quick.

I have asked if they do gel and was shown a pot of powder with gel written in pen on top. I just laughed and said that isn't gel, that liquid and powder.

Anyway it didn't really matter to me, i was just in there checking out what makes them so quick.

Btw when you soak this Gel? off, its melts to a gel like consistancy, that can be wiped off. Not like MMA which just doesnt move at all when ya soak it.

Latest posts

Back