Gel overlay training anyone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
really want to learn how to apply gel overlays but not necessarily extensions, does anyone know a training provider who offers this?
really want to offer natural nail overlays, hollywood and rockstar toes and hopefully simple encapsulated nail art . i know you can do hollywood/rockstar with shellac but really want to offer a longer lasting service.
have seen training for opi axxium overlays but little steep at over £400, and dont think they last that long anyhow?
the london based trainer for nsi said i could come along to the hollywood toes course anyhow, but little concerned will be a waste of time if havent used gels before - would my shellac application skills help or is it completely different to applying soak off gel? also concerned might not be covered insurancewise if dont have the proper basic training in gels
ant advice much appreciate

really want to learn how to apply gel overlays but not necessarily extensions, does anyone know a training provider who offers this?
really want to offer natural nail overlays, hollywood and rockstar toes and hopefully simple encapsulated nail art . i know you can do hollywood/rockstar with shellac but really want to offer a longer lasting service.
have seen training for opi axxium overlays but little steep at over £400, and dont think they last that long anyhow?
the london based trainer for nsi said i could come along to the hollywood toes course anyhow, but little concerned will be a waste of time if havent used gels before - would my shellac application skills help or is it completely different to applying soak off gel? also concerned might not be covered insurancewise if dont have the proper basic training in gels
ant advice much appreciate

Shellac glitter toes last at least 3 weeks!! Goodness sakes, how long do you want them to last? I want my clients in the chair every 3-4 weeks!

No matter what gel you use, you just paint it on toes .... But I much prefer Shellac to sticky gels and it lasts just as well if not better on toes.

LOL my school uses brisa finishing gloss and I use ibd clear gel for glitter toes, it does last forever but I kinda hate that! Hurts like hell when it starts growing out and poking your closed toe shoes, the grow out isnt that pretty, you cant clip em, etc.... I love the look though so I do em on myself and end up trashing my natural toenails rippin em off! And I use the same gel as an overlay for my acrylics to keep em from acetone accidents which I seem to have a lot. I'd say experience or not, at least go if she'll let you watch it for free! you may be surprised how easy it is

You seem to have had the rest of your questions answered, so I shall address your last one: insurance. My feeling is it's highly unlikely you'd be covered for gel application, when you have no gel/nail technology qualification. Obviously, the best thing to do would be to check with your insurer.

Can I just ask, have you actually tried Shellac? My feeling is that it would be perfect for you! Easy to apply, resilient, AND you'd be covered for it with a mani/pedi qualification (which it would seem you have).

As for longevity of wear, I Shellacked my toes with Wildfire Shellac back in the summer & had it on over 7 weeks without a single chip - despite flipflop wear, small children walking on my feet, & grovelling around on the floor doing many pedis & toe paints - my only reason for removing it in the end was that it had grown out so far that there was a big gap at the cuticle! & on hands I've had a Shellac French client keeps hers on 4 weeks for a holiday & my own lovely mum keep Shellac Hot Chilis on 25 days chip-free, when she trashes EVERYTHING I put on her nails (we only changed it because she was bored & fancied a colour change)!! There a couple of pics on my Facebook group - Up To Scratch Nails - if you fancy a peep.

Also worth noting that many techs (myself included) actually PREFER Shellac for Rockstar toes. Also, Shellac is hypoallergenic, so you are far less likely to encounter someone suffering a reaction to it - another reason I wouldn't proceed with gel, unless you have a full gel qualification in place. xx

Oh & £400 is not really expensive for education - I wouldn't go looking for a 'cheap' course, as you get what you pay for.

I know you say you only want to do overlays, but what if a client breaks a nail really short & want a set of overlays with 1 extension? If you are dead-set on gel, then it'd be best to do the whole thing: overlays, tips, sculpting, pink & white etc & many gel companies will offer training including basic kit at a reasonable price. Izabelle Hammon do a Calgel course including kit for (I think) about £100 over what you've quoted earlier & that would give you the basics in all these different applications. Perhaps make a few phone calls & ask a few companies, but I'd go all-or-nothing on the gel, personally. x

i dont believe it, i just posted a great long reply thanking you all for your valuable advice .. pressed send and the screen went blank and i found i wasnt logged in :-0 really strange as i deffinately logged in, was checking my in box prior to going on the forum - this has happened before when ive written a long post .. oh well

anyway, just wanted to say thanks again. i think you've deffinately talked me back round to shellac and its many benefits

i would like to learn a gel system eventually, and i suppose i agree with scratched ups all or nothing comment so i will wait a little longer and book up when i feel ready to take on a new challenge. i think im trying to run before i can walk, still working on my minx and perfecting my shellac - you've made me see sense so for now i shall offer hollywood/glitter toes with the products and skills i already have

many thanks

Last edited:
The Gelish system has a structure Gel which can be used on the natural nail to give it more strength for an overlay or on a tip. It is a soak off system. They have 48 colours too.
I went to Enfield on a training day for a small admin charge. The product was provided for you to use so all i paid was the admin charge. I loved it sooo much i bought a kit!!

thanks secret structure .. can you use the same lamp for gelish as shellac do you know? have noticed several geeks offer both systems, are they not both quite similar?

thanks secret structure .. can you use the same lamp for gelish as shellac do you know? have noticed several geeks offer both systems, are they not both quite similar?

The only similarity to Shellac and the hundreds of thin colour coat gels has is that they both put colour on the nails. Otherwise Shellac is completely different ... For one, Shellac is not a coloured gel, and for two Shellac requires it's own brand of UV Lamp to reach a complete cure.

All the thin coloured gels cure with any old four bulb lamp. Some also cure with LED as well.

If you want any more details re Shellac, then the complete system and the science behind it is all defined in the tutorials section of this site. Enjoy reading ... It's very interesting.

Latest posts

Back