Gel peeled off after 24hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seana710

Reaction score
I have only started using gel. My 1st client ever, wanted white tips and clear gel.
She had little nail to start with, I dehydrated nails, applied tips, cut them, shaped them, and buffed them to take off shine.
Applied 1st coat cured it, 2nd coat cured it, and finished with top coat and cured it. I did tell her that they may not last long as tips didnt have alot to cling to.
She rang me that night to say one had come off.(This was over a weekend)
Monday morning she rang me to say that all the nails had peeled off over the weekend, and that this has never happened before to her, has had gel before at another salon. She doesnt want to come in to see me and have her nails done again, Im very annoyed and feel I need to offer her some form of compensation.
Her friend came in to see me for treatment and told me that 1st client has oily nail plates( she didnt tell me this and how can you tell??)
And is this the cause of the problem or the lack of nail??
She blaming my gel, I have since had successful clients.

This might sound really silly, but did you prep the nails properly? Remove all cuticle from the nail plate? Remove all shine?

Something else to consider is that nail biters often turn into nail pickers and it is quite likely that once she knocked one off, she then picked the rest off. You will be able to tell when you see her whether this is the case or not. Hth:)

The old 'oily nail plate' excuse ... I'm afraid I just don't buy that one geeks!

If the lady had short bitten nails then that is a good indication of how she normally treats them!

Make sure your lamp is the right lamp for your system and that yor prep is thorough and usually if those two things are OK and the length of the nais is appropriate, then the problem of missing nails is down to client interference!

Thanks, fellow geeks, advice is much appreciated, I am very thorough with my prep, its the fact she told me it has never happened before that threw me, but maybe her nails were longer then., thanks again.:lol:

Don't stress yourself over it too much.

I think clients that are pickers or biters ALWAYS use the excuse "it's never happened before" but in reality it happen to every set no matter who applies them.

Just move on and be thankful for the good clients you have:)

Gel can peel off white tips. You need to make sure you have removed all the shine from the tips and the I usually cure the thicker layer for an extra minute to ensure the gel has cured fully. I think clear builder gel likes the light to go right through it and I think this is why using a coloured tip can cause the peeling, the tip stops the light going through and sort of absorbs the light.
I may be wrong but it makes sense to me as when I use a clear tip the gel sets harder and doesn't peel for me.

I love to wear cream pearl tips and often have problems with my index fingers peeling because I dont look after them as well as I should. Knowing I can fix them up quite qickly and easily I tend to be nightmare rough with, I'm constantly breaking the seal on the free edge of them & then they peel.

The fact that she doesn't want to come and show you her nails suggests to me that she herself was at fault.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I have a few clients that like the white tip ... and i have never ever had a problem with them peeling at all... until i had a nail biter client with really small nail beds... i tactfully tried to persuade her to have a small free edge sculpted and white gel placement to look more natural but nope .. she wanted white tips.. was a nightmare.. lest to say 2 days later.. they were all off..

Sometimes we can have the best interests of our clients nails and what would look better for them.. but if the client wants something they want it lol..

liek everyone else has said she probably had broke one and started chewing or picking at the rest.. and if they are not prepared to come in or let you know as soon as, then what can you do..

At least you will know for the next nail biter and be aware of every step you do.

Sarah xx

hiya just a few points that i found usefull and stopped this happening on my clients, i have all so recently started gel nails
have you prep all nails correctly plus used the primer if she has oily nails this really helps the gel to stay on also once you have fitted the white tips you shud tack the shine of the tip to allow gel to stick also really cap the tips on the free edge even go under the tip abit and turn clients had over for a min in the lamp before you fininish. hope it helps you gud luck xxxx:Grope:

Latest posts

Back