Gel polish topcoat over nail polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks anonaw. Sometimes I do find certain people's comments unfriendly. We are all different levels of expertise and I always aim to answer or join in a friendly way. It's how we would approach our customers and how I approach life in general.
Chicunique- also agree that we need to appreciate that busy pros take time to respond and sometimes can be read in the wrong way but judging by some of the lengths of replies it seems coincidence that politeness cannot be conveyed.
I enjoy sharing tips and experiences with fellow pros but being genuine I do find the forum a bit daunting sometimes because of the responses that sometimes get given.
Politeness costs nothing.
I say this is a polite genuine way- The forum is generally a nice place to visit.

Normally I don't do it as I like to offer a full service but when I do my best mate she always has polish with gel top coat cause there's so many nicer colours to choose from ! I leave polish to dry whilst I do her brows and lash tint then I put it on I do 2 coats of top coat it lasts her 2-3 weeks no cracks or chips sometimes I do it on myself but never on a paying client well not yet anyway !

Isn't there a topcoat by Seche Vite that is uv cured? That goes over polish? I may be completely wrong but I think I heard someone mention it on here before?

I think there's a product called chroma gel especially for this x

I think there's a product called chroma gel especially for this x
Goodness me ... Don't be offering a sensible solution and mentioning a product that's actually meant for the job!! :Eek: I mean ... How unadventurous of you and silly!! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I just came across this post and was also going to mention Chroma Gel, it works fine, just a bit longwinded. Geeg, your comment made me have a good giggle

I used glaze n go over CND blue blood polish a few days ago on myself, it worked fine. I topcoated about 20-30mins after 2nd coat of polish dried.
I have to say I've tried before and it cracked but I wanted to try for a high shine with what I had.

I manufactured a gel top coat years ago that was super over polish and impervious to solvents, so perfect for nail technicians to keep their nails looking great while working in the salon BUT the polish had to dry for 24 hours before it could be applied. Great for nail techs, but not a practical salon service.

Would this have worked with a Quick dry Nail Varnish? or would you still have had to leave it 24 hours? I normally don't use quick dry varnishes but I love my maybelline Urban Turquoise one and I would love to be able to wear it while I'm at work :) x

Oddly enough I was thinking about this the other night. Would my gel top coat work over my normal polish?

Must try it now. I've got a few colours (normal polish) that I haven't got in gel and would love to get the added longevity the gel top will give me. Splendid! Thank You. X

X

when i used to work at nails inc we offered this as a treatment.. just put on a base 2 colour coats and a thin layer off gel.. It worked fine but always looked quite dull... Didnt really like offering it as i was never happy with the results...but it did work.

I understand what you're all saying about trying new things etc but I think this has already been covered a few times on here.

I really don't get why you'd want to mix gel polish with polish if its not designed to work that way? What if it cracks and you've done it on a client? It doesn't look professional at all. Why not try to build up your gel polish collection or try layering so you have a wider variety of colours :)

I understand what you're all saying about trying new things etc but I think this has already been covered a few times on here.

I really don't get why you'd want to mix gel polish with polish if its not designed to work that way? What if it cracks and you've done it on a client? It doesn't look professional at all. Why not try to build up your gel polish collection or try layering so you have a wider variety of colours :)

I'm using my normal polishes up and I'm glad I can :)

I haven't and wouldn't try it on a client, I've mentioned in an earlier post that I only tried it on my mother in law who I do treatments for free on. And its all well in saying build up your gel collection but they are expensive, simply buying a starter kit with 6 colours in and a lamp and few prep bits can cost hundreds and if there was any way I could use some polishes that I've already spent good money on then why not give it go. Its not only me thats done or thought of doing it and we all like to experiment otherwise we wouldn't even have gel polishes to begin if someone hadn't thought of something new to try.

I only did it on my own and besides, I don't have to now as I've just got the gorgeously amazingly wonderful shellac Midnight Swim, woop woop

Latest posts

Back