Gel polishes - mix & match?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RitzyLox

Reaction score
HI ladies, new to salongeek :)

just a quick question. I currently use shellac gel polish, but find they're lacking colours that clients are wanting, so wanted to branch out and perhaps grab some nubar gelicure, OPI gel colour, gelish etc. Does anyone know if it is ok to use the base & top coats that I use for shellac with these systems, as it will be very expensive to get the base & top coats for each system...

(I am only a mobile therapist in my spare time, out of my full time job as a PA to an IFA - boring!)

your replies & opinions would be much appreciated :) thanks in advance xx

Yep u sure can I bought the top&base coat for Trugel and I would use that with 3 other brands of gel polish :)

Its really not advised that you mix systems and you won't be covered on your insurance for this xx

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek mobile app

CND strictly says no mixing. I've read on here that one brand said its ok but I can't remember who.
Just phone every brand you are interested in and ask them.

There is another thread about mixing Shellac and Gellish that I got quite involved with.

On the whole I would never advise mixing brands. However, there are several brands that are pure gel polishes with no solvents. I would not have a problem mixing these, especially if the brand has said it's OK e.g. Gellish, Artistic, Geleration.

From an insurance point of view it's best to get it in writing (email) from the brand. From an understanding point of view you need to know exactly what you are working with

You can make any number of new colours with Shellac by using the additives. Why don't you try that instead of risking service break down by mixing systems? It really isn't a good idea to use the base and top coat from one system with the colours from another.

Apologies to OP. I didn't read it properly! You must definitely NOT mix Shellac with any other! (see other thread!)

Shellac can be layered to make 100's of colours and then there are the Additives.

There are over 50 colours in Shellac. How many do you want??

Thanks to those of you that have been helpful and informative. If my post had been read properly you would note that I only do hair & beauty in my spare time, freelance. I did my qualifications with the Guild of Beauty Therapists at a local academy recently, so yes I am bound to have questions.

Its not me that "wants" the colours, I have clients asking all the time, "can you get this & that colour" and my answer is "im not sure as shellac don't do it". I have no experience with using the CND additives so wouldn't even know where to begin with mixing colours to make a pastel orange???? Hence the reason for asking the forum!

Also as I said, I am new to salongeek so have not sat for hours searching for other threads about this. not feeling the forum love to be honest. It was just a simple question from someone who doesnt know! :sad:

Thanks to those of you that have been helpful and informative. If my post had been read properly you would note that I only do hair & beauty in my spare time, freelance. I did my qualifications with the Guild of Beauty Therapists at a local academy recently, so yes I am bound to have questions.

Its not me that "wants" the colours, I have clients asking all the time, "can you get this & that colour" and my answer is "im not sure as shellac don't do it". I have no experience with using the CND additives so wouldn't even know where to begin with mixing colours to make a pastel orange???? Hence the reason for asking the forum!

Also as I said, I am new to salongeek so have not sat for hours searching for other threads about this. not feeling the forum love to be honest. It was just a simple question from someone who doesnt know! :sad:

You are not on your own about not feeling 'the love'. Some people are so quick and nasty to reply when just a simple question is asked.
Good luck in your endeavour to get you answers. Wish I could give you some advice but I don't use Shellac.

Best wishes xo

I think your simple question got its simple answer from several people who took the time to help you.

Was anything missed?

It's best not to mix systems. But you can create more colours by layering what you have.

Do one layer of one colour and set. Then do a layer of another colour. You will see you can create all sorts of variations.

Give it a try.

A lot of people (me included) don't like the faff of using additives or layering. Plus the layered colours dont look great as they do look layered. When will cnd realise so many of us want a decent stand alone colour choice? They don't have an orange, yellow or neons or hardly any decent pastels, no French cover masques. It's no good just bringing out more reds or purples that are only 1 shade away from what we've already got!

To the OP no, unfortunately you can't mix shellac top and base with any other brand, so if its colour choice you're after you might want to look at Gelish as they have a great range.

Ps please do not all launch a tirade at me for this post , I just being honest.

I am a part time mobile therapist also, I have over 20 years experience in the beauty industry. I use Shellac, I only have roughly 15 off their colours as my business is not big enough yet to invest in the whole range as well of offering a range of other treatments. Any way I've found with this 15 colours I can create lots of more shade by layering, which I display on colour pops. This is more than enough for my clients.
I don't have additives or offer nail art, just 'normal' Shellac but do find that by layering Shellac you really can offer some many more colour shades.

If you put key words in to the search facility at the top of the page you will find lots more infomation on this subject. Hth:D

HI ladies, new to salongeek :)

just a quick question. I currently use shellac gel polish, but find they're lacking colours that clients are wanting, so wanted to branch out and perhaps grab some nubar gelicure, OPI gel colour, gelish etc. Does anyone know if it is ok to use the base & top coats that I use for shellac with these systems, as it will be very expensive to get the base & top coats for each system...

(I am only a mobile therapist in my spare time, out of my full time job as a PA to an IFA - boring!)

your replies & opinions would be much appreciated :) thanks in advance xx

I have been hairdressing for 22 years and have only recently over the last couple of years been training on nails.
Like yourself I'm new to geek. But most people are very helpful.

I use signature gel polish by ASP. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it compared to gellux, shellac and OPI.

You will find the brand you like and stick to it. I use signature because it is 4th generation gel polish as opposed to 2nd or 3rd.
If you are going to do nails on the side or freelance them please get insurance as I cannot stipulate how important that is. Do not mix your systems unless your training manual tells you that you can. If your client has a reaction and you have gone against the instructions you might find yourself in hot water.

I hope every thing goes well for you and you find the answers your looking for. X

I thank the ppl who have answered my question. That's great :)

Just think some ppl come across a little rude in saying "what more do you want!"

I'm asking simply bcoz I dnt knw & it's my clients that want the colours not me.

I do have insurance, so thanks for pointing that one out, it is so vitally important.

I wasn't aware that mixing systems could cause a reaction so, thanks all for the info. Xx

Gelish has advertised for quite a while that its base and top coats can be used with "any other method or brand" but some other brands (notably CND Shellac) state that they should not be intermixed. So, absent a contrary instruction from the other brand, you can intermix Gelish base and top with the color coats of other brands and be within manufacturer's instructions.

Attachments

• Pages from Nails_Magazine_Jan2011_FlipBk.pdf
    249.5 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back