gel problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgie127

Reaction score
hi there,
im new to this site its my first time posting (hope im doing it right)
im wondering can anyone help ,sunday i put on a set of gels with extensions and today to my amazement the gel has dissappeared they werent my own nails i done my sisters we are both newly qualified and know what lifting is but the gel has completely dissappeared and the extension is still on im just trying to figure out what went wrong have used the gel on other people and nothing like this has happened can anyone give me any advice please:)

What products did you use?
What training have you had?
Give us a bit more to go on.. your profile doesn't tell us much tbh.

do you mean it has peeled off or chipped off. the only way it might disappear is if you didnt cure it properly and it was just wiped away with your finishing wipe.
i love a mystery, but i need more clues:green:

thanks for your reply i trained with associate nails ciate gels but the brand i used was called nail essentials as i am having quite a lot of trouble getting any gels as they dont seem to supply any good ones in the beauty stores here

it definately didnt come off when i wiped cos they looked fab i was thrilled with the finish but they were gone this morning and it wasnt from being picked off i am baffled too

Hi there,

Sounds like its come off in a large area, at a guess due to not capping/sealing the free edge...Always swipe across with your brush to make sure you have covered the area.

Take the shine away completely from the tip before you apply product.
Ensure you have followed all the steps during the application.

Normally you can contact the suppliers/trainers you have to also troubleshoot any area's youre having problems with.

Best of Luck

XX J XX

i did do that but i still cant figure out what went wrong to look at her nails today it was like i had applied the tip and forgotten to put on gel

thanks for your advice will try contacting my trainer tomorrow and see what she thinks
thanks

i think i know whats happened.
It hasn't cured properly and the surface seems to be hard and cured but underneath it's still gooey and it has simply wiped off through the night.
Does that make sense? like the top layer is like a hard shell and it's stable for the time being........................eventually the gooey will cause lift and once it has lifted the tiniest bit it will all wipe clean off.

maybe thanks for your input it sounds like a great explanation its the best one yet but i thought once top layer was dry it was fully cured

georgie, are you using the correct lamp for your brand of UV Gel?

i got back to my trainer and she thinks it shrunk because the brand is not a very good one
yes i was using the correct lamp
this site is great you guys are really helpful
cheers

or maybe poor prep and it literally came away? If you didn't prep (and apply bond) then it would just lift off in one peice i'd imagine. did you find "bits" in your bed! It can't just dissappear!! (that is what I say to my kids all the time! lol).

thats what baffled me it literally dissappeared it definately wasnt bad prep cos i went thru everything trying to figure it out as it hasnt happened to any of my other clients (thankfully)and it definately hadnt lifted off i will ask my sister to see did she see bits of them anywhere

hi there guys
thanks for all your input i think i found the solution to the problem i dont think i mentioned that when i done the set it was my first time using white tips would this be the reason for them dissappearing as it takes longer to cure white tips than natural ones
any input to this would be greatly appreciated as i am gutted that they came off they looked so great when i had finished them
if this is the case has anyone got any info on the best way of doing white tips with gel

I'm assuming you mean using white gel to do the tips with? You usually need to use clear forms to sculpt onto or the gel will only cure on top and not underneath.

Or if you applied tips and then put white gel on, then you would have to make sure you apply the white very thin so it would cure properly, then apply another layer of white to get the desired thickness. (not that tips need to be thick, but you know what i mean.)

The overlay can also come off really easily if you apply it too thin. Plus do you freeze cure after every finger? If not, the gel can actually start to shrink before you even get it under the lamp, so even when you cap properly, if you don't put it under the lamp straight away to freeze for a few seconds, then it won;t be attached to the free edge properly.

Hope this helps.

hey talented talons
what i mean is i used a white tip and put a clear gel over i didnt use white gel at all(should i have)i did buff the tip but no blending i also did freeze but i didnt know that it would take longer to cure than a regular nail tip
hope im explaining this right
thanks for your help

Using a white tip, as long as you take the shine off of the tip then this should be fine. Using clear gel is also fine, so there shouldn't be a problem with the gel curing.

If you put gel on too thin though, it can just peel off in one lump as well.

Did you take the shine off of the natural nail? What prep do you do?

yes i had done the full prep and even looked it up here and went through my training manual to see had i forgotten something my trainer thought it was the gel as it is not a known brand but i had done others a few times with gel and none had had a problem i am a newbie technician i qualified in gels in november but hadnt had any coming off so i was baffled but it was my first time trying the white tips
cheers

using whit tips with gel can be a bit of trial and error.
you will find that certain combinations of tip and gel just seem to be incompatible.
it can be done though, it just needs the right gel with the right tip.
you must be absolutely sure that the tip has no trace of shine. and also that you cure for longer so that the uv rays can cure the gel properly as they will be reflected off the wite tip and they wont be able to penetrate from the reverse side either.

Latest posts

Back