Gel tips, please don't ignore

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liane

Reaction score
I have been a nail tech and beautician for about 4 years now and have no complaints with my shellac, minx, nail art etc and this is what most people come to me for however I havent done a set of gel tips for about 2 years as I cant get the bloody things to stay on! Every time I do them, they lift and/or come off within an week, once they lasted 2 weeks and they were on me. I have even done a Brisa conversion/gel training course with a lovely CND trainer in england but the little blighters still come off. I have stopped offering this as a service but am turning down a lot of trade so I used my niece and friends daughter as guinea pigs, one had glitter and one had plain but they both pinged clean off within a couple of days. I know the emphasis will be on prep but I am meticulous about this and constantly watch videos and tutorials and cant see what I am doing wrong. Saying that, I have two gel tips on at present as two of my natural nails snapped, they went on about 3 weeks ago and are still going strong!! The way it is going, I will be the only nail tech who cant do gel tips! Any help would be greatly received. Thanks :cry:

Could you talk us through your exact procedure, please? If nails just ping off, then they can't have been adhered properly in the first place.

If you have absolutely no confidence with your gel skills, the best thing to do would be to book off a few hours with your educator so that you can work together.

Perhaps ask for money towards a few hours as a Christmas gift?

I can't offer any help I'm afraid but just wanted to say I have exactly the same problem. It's gotten so bad I don't bother with them anymore, but I'm lucky cos I don't get asked for them now I offer shellac. I advertise myself as a natural nail-er!!! Hope you crack it though and get the answers - practice, practice, practice!! Good luck

buff dehydrate and use a primer make sure its not thick at the cuticle and side walls make sure it has strength in the apex and make sure tip is buffed

Thanks for the reply, the steps I do at the moment are:

Cuticle remover for 10 mins, removal of all cuticle with larger and smaller remover, ensuring down the sides are done.
remove cuticle remover with soap and water
file and shape free edge
put tips on
use scrub fresh, not on tip
remove shine off nail and tip
brisa bonder for 10 seconds
first coat of brisa builder gel, quite thin and "scrub into nail plate" cure for 2 mins
second coat, bead, thicker, set each finger for 10 seconds then cure for two minutes
third coat, bead, not as thick as second coat, cure for two minutes
remove tacky layer with dsperse, file to remove lumps and bumps
remove dust, apply brisa top coat, cure for two minutes
remove tacky layer with dsperse

hide from irate clients wanting their money back!:irked:

I have probably forgotten something, please feel free to enlighten me x

Are using Cuticle Away? I think you may be leaving it on way too long. By the time you put it on all ten nails you can start cuticle removal. By leaving it on too long the nail may be absorbing it and therefore swelling the nail.

Have you tried sculpting rather than use tips? I find these last longer..x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app
The Beauty Barn

Are using Cuticle Away? I think you may be leaving it on way too long. By the time you put it on all ten nails you can start cuticle removal. By leaving it on too long the nail may be absorbing it and therefore swelling the nail.

this your problem your first step your nails are full of water and product still

If your fingernail doesnt sit in the tip well proply they will lift and come off with in a week. Are you using a really good nail glue?

Also scrub fresh before applying tip

And your very first thin coat of gel normally only needs to be cured for 30 seconds

its actually probably only actually on for a couple of minutes thinking about it, but i'll make sure next time. thanks x

If your fingernail doesnt sit in the tip well proply they will lift and come off with in a week. Are you using a really good nail glue?

I always make sure the ridge sits on the edge of the nail and I use Brisa nail glue :|

I have this problem! Me and gel do not get on!! I'd happily not offer as I can't control it like acrylic. Yet when I put gel on myself I can't get the stuff off!

I'm still a newbie so can't offer much advice but I had a similar problem when I used to but cheap tips, have no idea why but switched to decent one (pro impressions at the moment!) they seem to be fine. Not sure if this is any help 😕

I'm still a newbie so can't offer much advice but I had a similar problem when I used to but cheap tips, have no idea why but switched to decent one (pro impressions at the moment!) they seem to be fine. Not sure if this is any help 😕

Its certainly worth a try and I'll try anything at the moment. thanks x

Before you apply the tips are you removing the shine from the natural nail? If you are doing this afterwards instead the tips won't stick, it needs to be done first. Also, ensure your tips are the correct size as if not, they will ping off! hth x

Beauty Therapist and Training Associate

Two things: the natural nail is full of moisture/ oils from soaking. Two: tips are not the perfect fit for everyone. My mothers nails will not stay on unless sculpted with forms due to the fact she has flat nails. The tip naturally wants to sit in that c- curve so when we press the tip to the nail plate it does adhere, however within time (days) the tip wants to return to its natural position (arched) which causes a literal popping off.

Tiger

And your very first thin coat of gel normally only needs to be cured for 30 seconds

The OP is using Brisa Gel which requires a full 2 minute cure in the CND UV lamp.

OP Looking at the list the things I would change in your application procedure
Like others have already mentioned are...

After cuticle removal and shaping the nail,
I would then remove shine from the nail plate,
Then Scrubfresh,
Fit and apply tip, cut to size and blend.
Scrubfresh just the nailplate again, before applying the Brisa bonder.

How do the nails you apply actually come off?
Do they start lifting from the cuticle area and then get 'helped' off by the client or
Do they come away at the free edge/tip and literally then pop off.

If the first then your product may be touching skin at the cuticle area or too thick and not been finish filed to be flush and sealed to the nail

The second then it is down to the sizing and application of the tip.

Last edited:
The OP is using Brisa Gel which requires a full 2 minute cure in the CND UV lamp.

OP Looking at the list the things I would change in your application procedure
Like others have already mentioned are...

After cuticle removal and shaping the nail,
I would then remove shine from the nail plate,
Then Scrubfresh,
Fit and apply tip, cut to size and blend.
Scrubfresh just the nailplate again, before applying the Brisa bonder.

How do the nails you apply actually come off?
Do they start lifting from the cuticle area and then get 'helped' off by the client or
Do they come away at the free edge/tip and literally then pop off.

If the first then your product may be touching skin at the cuticle area or too thick and not been finish filed to be flush and sealed to the nail

The second then it is down to the sizing and application of the tip.

I wasnt taking the shine off the natural nail before applying the tip, I will try this. Also, what tips would you recommend? I was also interested in the other reply (sorry I cant check your name during my reply!) that the tips flatten when applied then return to an arch and pop off. How can this be resolved? It may be that my problem is tips as they come off as a whole, there isnt usually any lifting.

Latest posts

Back