Gelish fading in the sun

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopkica

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently had a client who had her toes done with 'Go Girl' Gelish before going on holiday. As we all know this is quite a prominent baby pink colour and in the sun it changed completely to white. Looked like she had tip ex on her toes. She was not impressed.

Has anyone else experienced this??? :-/

Xxx

Yes....there have been several threads about it.

It mainly happens with pink colours and across most brands of UV polishes.
It is to do with a pigment used to get the pink colour, it is more prone to fade in strong sunlight.
I now warn clients who are going on holiday about this when they pick a pink but even though they use their cuticle oil and dry their nails after swimming it still happens.

One client of mine had CND Shellac Rosebud with a layer of Silver VIP status on top, was very careful with it but it still faded to off white with the silver shimmer. She actually really liked the faded colour too so felt she got 2 Colours for the price of one!

Sadly not all clients will be so happy, especially ones with longer nails, as I have noticed that the free edge of the nail is less likely to fade therefore a two tone look is left which is not very nice.

Ahhhhh I see. Thanks for this. I will now start warning my clients of this going forward. ;-)

Xx

Hi all

I recently had a client who had her toes done with 'Go Girl' Gelish before going on holiday. As we all know this is quite a prominent baby pink colour and in the sun it changed completely to white. Looked like she had tip ex on her toes. She was not impressed.

Has anyone else experienced this??? :-/

Xxx

Many many have experienced fading of pink gel colours because that is the way it is with a certain pink pigment no matter which gel system you use.

Pigment has to be safety approved by the EU and only those pigments can be used by all manufacturers.

One particular pigment is prone to fading with excess sun, chlorine and certain insect repellents can also affect the surface as well as suntan lotions that contain DEET.

Fading has been mentioned allot here on SG. If you search you will find plenty to read but in a nutshell it is what I have written above. It should be included on your aftercare, your clients should be warned about it ... And your client could easily have polished over the fading with another colour of ordinary polish if it bothered her that much. Got to love those clients that will use any excuse to moan and to chance getting a freebie!

Ah yes hey. It's so annoying. I didn't offer her a freebie but did say I'd discount her next visit. Grrrr.

Thanks all I will surely tell all my clients abt the pinks from now on

Xx

Ah yes hey. It's so annoying. I didn't offer her a freebie but did say I'd discount her next visit. Grrrr.

Thanks all I will surely tell all my clients abt the pinks from now on

Xx

I think that is fair, as she was unaware that this could happen, therefore a small discount will keep her happy and loyal. Now you know to warn people this can happen its a different matter.:)

I agree with izzy and apologies for repeating everything that she said in her first post lol. I went off for my breakfast mid post, and when I finished and submitted it lo and behold there were several replies. Still, great minds think alike! Lol

Oh bum, I did a clients nails in shake it till you samba, i warned her about deet, chlorine, suncream and gave her the usual advice but i forgotten warn her about the sun which may possibly fade it a bit.

Lets hope as it's a very vibrant pink it wont fade too much (fingers crossed)

I'd text her but she's now on a cruise ship heading to turkey at the moment!

yes I discovered this with Passion it looked very pale a different colour altogether. Its a shame they can't make a special topcoat to prevent this happening :sad:

What about the gelish glow pinks as they are so bright will they fad?
I wore go girl and it faded, went all yellowy patchy colour :(

Hey guys I've put on threads before, if it helps buy Calgel calcrystal, it's UV so absorbs the UV to prevent fading! U can retail to client also. :)

So does the calgel stop it fading?

Calcrystal is a uv topcoat, so that absorbs the uv from the sun and can prevent the gel colour fading. Ur client can buy it and apply themselves whilst away. :)

Gelish Top It Off is also UV too coat. This will not necessarily stop it from fading.

LolliDolli💋

Gelish Top It Off is also UV too coat. This will not necessarily stop it from fading.

LolliDolli💋

Yes I'm sure there is no guarantee. Calgel hav told me that calcrystal absorbs UV, so I would imagine if u remove and apply a fresh coat daily when in the sun, your gel will stand a good chance of remaining the same colour. :)

Yes I'm sure there is no guarantee. Calgel hav told me that calcrystal absorbs UV, so I would imagine if u remove and apply a fresh coat daily when in the sun, your gel will stand a good chance of remaining the same colour. :)

These top coats are to stop the product yellowing which Calgel definitely does when exposed even to normal daylight. Most brands do not yellow.

I think most people would find it quite impractical to have to remove and change a top coat every day while on holiday. :eek:

Better to just advise a client to take an ordinary polish colour to refresh the manicure if fading occurs. Voila! Easy and practical and a nice little retail sale for your business.

Interesting to note that in our salon here in Spain we have hardly had a single instance of fading colour with our normal all year round clients who do not over-do the sun exposure the way holiday makers do. Fading is not usual with normal wear and normal sun exposure .... It is abnormal amounts of exposure that has the effect in the pink pigment so in my opinion clients take their own chances if they bake all day in the sun. If you explain that it may happen, then it's up to them. It should be on the aftercare in any case.

I actually never use calcrystal as a top coat normally, only when client is goin away. Calgel never discolours on my clients! Maybe one coat before they go is enough but you can buy Quickies remover pads which I know people do take with them if they wanted to reapply :)

Latest posts

Back