Gelish Foundation gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted to help with doing my Gelish manicure been on the training course but just wanted ways to improve my skills. Im having problems with my 1st layer foundation gel I prep nails, apply ph bond then scrub and brush a thin layer onto nails cure under led lamp 30secs and still get bubbles or uneven texture on nail plate. More so to returning client's that aren't using cuticle oil Im thinking it could be dry patches on the nails its grabbing too or am I doing something wrong? It fustrates me because it then makes colour application difficult when I want two smooth coats with no bubbles/dents and fluff on nails any tips please. thankyou xx

From what youve written it sounds as though your application may still be too thick, air bubbles normally means this. Also when doing your prep are u doing this dry? make sure u throughly remove all traces of cuticle on the nail plate, bumps under the gel can mean youve left traces of cuticle. You should be dry brushing your foundation gel before applying colour as well. Hope this helps x

After cuticles and filing and a good brushing with a firm nail brush, are you also giving the nails a really scrub with Cleanse and lint free wipes before applying the ph bond? This usually helps, and I certainly notice a difference if I dont do it..
HTH
xx

Also Foundation is 5 seconds in an LED lamp - not 30 seconds. Also I find wiping the foundation after curing better than dry brushing - don't know if any one else does this but it works for me.

If I get any bumps after 2 or 3 colour coats I topcoat then gently buff the bump then topcoat again.

Also Foundation is 5 seconds in an LED lamp - not 30 seconds. Also I find wiping the foundation after curing better than dry brushing - don't know if any one else does this but it works for me.

What do you wipe it with?

It depends what led the op has, only the 18g as far as i no is 5 sec cure, ive got the 6g and its 10 secs. Ive seen other geeks wipe rather than dry brush, on my training i purchased some hexagonal sponges as this is what are trainer recommended and its so much quicker than using a brush.

I wipe with little oblong shaped paper pads - not sure what they are called but they come in a roll, I think from Ellisons (will check). Definitely quicker than dry brushing and leaves a smoother finish. I have the 18g. Didn't realise it was different on the 6g.

I don't know if this will help or not, but here goes!
I can think of a couple of things, as already said, maybe your foundation is going on to thickly, you really do need to wipe of on the side of the bottle a few times, then I was taught to rub it into the nail plate with the brush and then to smooth over from cuticle to free edge, 30 second cure, is that under a uv lamp? how old are your bulbs? Again I know this makes a difference, it's why most of us have bought the led lamp. The other things that I can think of are; dust on the nail plate, cuticle still present or you are being a bit heavy handed with your cuticle pusher and you are actually putting tiny pits into the nail plate it self. One last thing, the brush you use to dry wipe may have nail dust on it, they do get sticky and I've found it best to have an acetone dampened pad to hand and I wipe my dry brush of with it before and after each hand. hth.

thankyou everyone im going to take all comments into consideration when doing my next set of gels, affer buffing do you all cleanse then appy ph bond? I notice someone said about using a cleanser before ph bond xx

Hi yes defo cleanse then ph bond. Lint free wipes are the best when cleansing as well.

If I get any sticky up bits after foundation I nip them with my nippers. If it still doesn't look smooth then putting 1 coat of Structure should do the job. If there is still a slight bump, wipe with cleanse then buff surface of structure with a 240 grit then wipe with cleanse & proceed with colour.

I find if you don't get rid of the little sticky up bits it shows the worst in pearl effect or cream. Glittery gel polish won't show

i like the idea of using a sponge instead of a dry brush. is it possible to post a pic of the type of sponge you use.

Marion was u referring to me? ive only posted a few pics and still learning ha ha. I'll try might be tomo :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back