Gelish hard gel taking 3-4 hours!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiggerlady

Reaction score
Hi geeks.....have been Harmony trained since April, but ok, I dont do many sets of enhancements, but whether I do gel sculpts or tips it still takes the best part of 3 to 4 hours to do a set! Not exactly cost effective on these times is it?
I wrote down the method for Sculpting and was wondering if I got it wrong and put in more steps than necessary? Or put another way...can I leave any out? Heres what I do..
-prep nails, buff, brush dust and cleanse.
-put form on, ph bond and pro bond
-clear builder gel layer on natural nail
- make the gel tip over the form by puting a ball between the 1+1 bit on the form, pull over natural tip and clean up the new free edge and sides
-flash cure and pinch the c curve in
-skinny layer of builder gel over entire nail (+ the new just built bit!)
-ball of gel over entire nail, spread out ancd cured
-remove form. cleanse nail and file sidewalls, top of tip etc
-apply 1/2 brush of pink gel over entire nail and cure
-apply white builder gel to make french look, do smile line and cure
-apply skinny layer of builder gel over entire nail
-bridge gap betweekwhite tip and zone 2 with builder or clear gel, cure
-cleanse, file and buff if necessary to finished
-dry armour and cure.

Sorry if its a mission to read, but Im not sure if I can carry on doing this if it takes that long..clients dont want to sit for that long! And I have a 6g led lamp too! I tend to work one hand at a time after the prep is done, so is there a method for best practice/routine please?
I appreciate that you do get faster with practice, but 4 hours is a bit excessive isnt it?
All hints and tips welcome..thanks guys..x

Harmony Gelish LED Hard Gel Tutorial - YouTube

Does the video help at all?

You will definitely speed up with practice. Make sure you dont look up to talk, this is often a time factor that we fail to notice. Talk to the hand as they say so that you can continue working while chatting to your client xx

What do you mean by work one hand at a time? After prep do you just gel up one hand from start till finish before moving onto the next?

Yes, Chickafish. I do both hands prep, then work on one hand to either finished tip blending or gel sculpts on, so when I do the french I can do both hands at the same time.
Ive watched the Brisa gel videos on youtube and it seems to be much simpler, but they may be cutting out steps for reasons that the public can see the vids, iykwim?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tranquillity-Therapies/214831268553942?ref=hl
Dont know if the link will work, but theres the result...french lines a bit dodgy, but it WAS after 4 hours and 10 o'clock at night!!

Last edited:
Yes, Chickafish. I do both hands prep, then work on one hand to either finished tip blending or gel sculpts on, so when I do the french I can do both hands at the same time.
Ive watched the Brisa gel videos on youtube and it seems to be much simpler, but they may be cutting out steps for reasons that the public can see the vids, iykwim?
Tranquillity Therapies - Spas/Beauty/Personal Care - Eastbourne, United Kingdom | Facebook
Dont know if the link will work, but theres the result...french lines a bit dodgy, but it WAS after 4 hours and 10 o'clock at night!!

You can work on one hand until finished tip blending but use the time meanwhile one hand is in the light to do the other one! You shouldn't ever have to wait for the lamp except maybe for the last hand of top coat!

I try to use time wisely, and it is only a 30 second wait..I was just thinking that Im putting in too many steps, ie skinny layers then thicker 'spreading a ball' layers...
Do you guys do it like the video, or as Ive taken notes down during the demo at training?

30 seconds here, 30 seconds there. It adds up! It's definitely one thing you can do to improve your time.

I hardly ever do sculpts, but when i do tips I prep and sanitize, glue on tips and blend, ph bond and probond, one thin layer of builder gel as bonding cure, reverse application of pink in one ball cure, white in one ball cure, clear gel on top to fill in gaps cure, file, Dry armor cure.

If I were to do sculpts, I would do it like this:

Prep and sanitize,
apply forms,
ph bond and probond,
one thin layer of pink builder, cure
clear builder to build free edge and over natural nail (try to keep as thin as possible), cure
pink builder in reverse application, cure
Remove form
White builder on free edge, cure
Clear gel over entire nail to fill in gaps
Cleanse
File to shape
Dry armor cure

Or as shown in the video where tha nail is built up comletely first then brush on white for french.

Thanks..I think I shall watch the video and make notes and give that a try..can't be any longer than whats happening now!! And blending tips takes me a while too!! Lol! Have tried ASP ones as recommended at training, then went and bought some CND ones, they're quicker to blend but seem to heat up quite quickly with filing..next step is to try some wel less ones I suppose!! I refuse to be beaten and go down the tip blender route!!
Anyone who thinks nails is a piece of cake obviously isnt doing it right!! Its an art form and a skill!! And takes loads of practice!! x

You should practice more with the CND ones before giving up on them! They "heat up" because they are thinner i guess but you just have to make sure you don't file back and forth continuously. I mostly blend tips in one direction, sometimes back and forth but only a few strokes at a time before lifting the file and looking at what I am doing.

Also you don't have to necessarily follow someone else's direction 100% perfect! Find your own groove and method:)

Hi geeks.....have been Harmony trained since April, but ok, I dont do many sets of enhancements, but whether I do gel sculpts or tips it still takes the best part of 3 to 4 hours to do a set!

I believe your answer lies here, if you havent done many sets you've not been working on your rountine and method, i completed my acrylics course March, but i have a lot of enhancement clients when i first started doing training it took 3 hours to do a set to do a full set!! Obviously i dont use the hard gels but the same principal applies in the fact u need to practice your routine constantly the best way to do this is try and push your enhancement treatments maybe put an offer on, to help bring your timings down.

They will come down everyone is different some people do this quicker then others but you have to do more enhancement work if you want to reduce your times

i now do a full set of sculpts in 1 hr 30 mins so it is possible because i remember thinking my timings will never go down and it just happened and i didnt realise until after i'd left the client. I was panicking thinking id missed a step wasnt until i had my next client and finished in the same time that i realised!!

Hths

Thanks ladies for all your replies. I will def try and get some more guinea pigs in ! I realise that the way I have been doing them involves a lot more steps than actually needed, and will make notes from the videos and try that.way..should def be a lot shorter!! lol
I do like the CND tips because they do blend a lot quicker. Also, I think I will ban mobiles from the salon as the girls do like to message constantly, and that makes me pause and wait if Im working on that hand too!:rolleyes:

Thanks ladies for all your replies. I will def try and get some more guinea pigs in ! I realise that the way I have been doing them involves a lot more steps than actually needed, and will make notes from the videos and try that.way..should def be a lot shorter!! lol
I do like the CND tips because they do blend a lot quicker. Also, I think I will ban mobiles from the salon as the girls do like to message constantly, and that makes me pause and wait if Im working on that hand too!:rolleyes:

Using well less tips that don't need blending saves some time.

I work on both Hans at the same time. After all prep apply base to one hand then the other while it's curing. Then if doing reverse I do pink on right pinky then flash cure to set while I'm doing left pinky. Then right ring finger, flash cure while doing left ring finger etc.. When I'm done with the right thumb I cure for the full time on each hand. Once you get your speed up you can do 2 fingers at a time(pinky,ring/middle,pointer then thumb.
Watch the young nails videos on you tube Greg explains it better.

Latest posts

Back