Gelish, how thin is thin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befab

Reaction score
Hello to all my lovely geeks,

i would like to know how thin the colour coat needs to be. i am confident with applying the foundation application and scrub it in to te nail. But even after
my gelish training im still not 100% sure how thin the the colour coat should be? i normally do the first coat very thin, almost see through and patchy looking and then the second colour coat i will wipe one side of the brush clean and the other side of the brush will have a small amount of colour on it and the same with the 3rd coat. The problem i had this evening was with the colour elegant wish, even after 3 coats it did look slightyly patchy. so i know that i am going a little wrong somewere.

Also im finding no matter how much i clean the nail plate with the harmony cleanser i still get bits and fluffy bits on the nail plate.Also Even the lint free wipes i find do leave fluffy bits. Because i spend so much time cleaning the nail plate im taking a 1hr and 15 min to do a full set!!! i also find that i have hanging bits off the free edge and i dont understand why i get this problem because after i file the nails i file upwards and the downwards (if that makes sense) so file up towards the ceiling and the downwards towards towards the floor

pls help!! i have made progress over the last few months but still struggling with some things.

xxxxx:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I asked this question in the gelish group but no reply, I ask because a few nails on myself lifted a few days after application (done training in nov) I was so gutted. Im a hairdresser so my hands are usually wet and i do pick so i know im not helping myself I often find that cleaning just the one side off be brush can still be too much especially with tio as it sometimes floods the side wall of the first nail I paint.

I useint free pads from salon services, they seem alright to me

I havent worked with the colour you mention so can't help there. What other probs do you have? What's the best tip you can give about applying gelish?

Hya!!

ok what i do is first thing is to file the nail into shape, do uo and down fileing to get rid of bits, have tried with buffer as well but no luck, dry remove the cutitcle,i do find this part tricky, sometimes i find that i am almost scraping the cuticle area and not actually removing it. So next i wil clean the nail plate with harmony cleaner and apply ph pond, at this point i can see fluff and bits stil on nail plate, so annoying. I always make sure that th foundation layer is very thin, i ensure this by wiping all excess of brush and then apply the foundation layer on all 8 fingers (i do thumbs last) and then i go back to finger one and srub it in and follow same procedure to finger 8. Then i will dry brush, also find this bit a bother!! find that it leaves fluff on nail plate. Then i wil ad first coat very thin, i will make sure that i cover the nail but its thin to a degree that it looks patchy. then second and third coat a little thcker but like i said still finding it cam look patchy.then i go on to do the top coat. I just find it strange how some people get on so well with gelish after training and some people still have problems. Its so fustrating as not one clients nails has lasted a full 2 weeks!!

:mad::mad:

i

Hello to all my lovely geeks,

i would like to know how thin the colour coat needs to be. i am confident with applying the foundation application and scrub it in to te nail. But even after
my gelish training im still not 100% sure how thin the the colour coat should be? i normally do the first coat very thin, almost see through and patchy looking and then the second colour coat i will wipe one side of the brush clean and the other side of the brush will have a small amount of colour on it and the same with the 3rd coat. The problem i had this evening was with the colour elegant wish, even after 3 coats it did look slightyly patchy. so i know that i am going a little wrong somewere.

Also im finding no matter how much i clean the nail plate with the harmony cleanser i still get bits and fluffy bits on the nail plate.Also Even the lint free wipes i find do leave fluffy bits. Because i spend so much time cleaning the nail plate im taking a 1hr and 15 min to do a full set!!! i also find that i have hanging bits off the free edge and i dont understand why i get this problem because after i file the nails i file upwards and the downwards (if that makes sense) so file up towards the ceiling and the downwards towards towards the floor

pls help!! i have made progress over the last few months but still struggling with some things.

xxxxx:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello

I hope I can be of help. Sounds like you application of the colour is fine. As this a coat as possible but still allowing enough product to get full coverage even if the first couple of coats is not even. By the third thin coat the colour should be even. Are you mixing the bottles well prior to use? Remember to roll the bottle really well to mix before application.

Regarding the lint, are you using kitchen roll? Fibreglass from the kitchen roll can cause little fluffy bits or even lint from your clients clothes. Make sure your polish brushes have not picked up any lint too.

I am not sure what to suggest regarding the hanging bits as i am not sure what you mean hun x

xxx

yes iv tried kitchen roll and sometimes its ok but as i invested in the brush i started to use it again, I dry brush and the wipe it between tissue and the go to next nail etc.

When i say hanging bit what i mean is tiny litte bits that are on the free edge,i find them a nightmare.

xx

thank you for the video, i just watched it and feel abit more confused!

if i did gelish like the guy on the vid it would defo peel off or chip within days.I mean he has painted the nails beautifully but when i first started doing gelish i would say i was doing it as thick as he is doing and they only lasted few days. Do you use gelish?

other gelisg users what do you think of this video???

Bo has given you a link to a great video. I do mine just like Greg and have no peeling, chipping issues whatsoever. Perhaps your prep isn't sufficient enough especially since you're saying there are always bits on the nail. Sounds like you're not removing cuticle enough. I do a wet cuticle removal with CND cuticle away and then remove that with soap and water and then I scrub fresh and use ph bond. My ladies are gettin 3+ weeks. I'll attach a photo of one of ladies at just over 25 days. The growth is crazy but I just wanted to show you so that you can see that I have no chipping or peeling issues. I do make sure my coats are thin but not splotchy (I don't find Greg's coats too thick either btw).

Good luck!!! It's a learning curve but just have fun with it! :)

Attachments

• IMG_8088.jpg
    IMG_8088.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 472
Thanks Shannon for seconding Greg's video. I use Gelish and have no lifting or chipping. I agree with Shannon, check your prep. When I first started I suffered with the same problems. Keep at it and one day you'll forget you even had these issues. One day you'll look up and realize you just did Gelish in 45 minutes! It will be a great day :hug:
Have you read the sticky notes at the top of the forum page? Geeg wrote a great note for us gel polish users.
General questions re: UV cured colour coats, answered - Salon Geek

And I also think that some new techs try to do it too thin because they are afraid of wrinkling and peeling, etc... If it's too thin it looks rough.. I found that when I tried to do it too thin it never looks perfect around the eponychium. It has to flow a little off your brush to get a smooth line. That doesn't mean applying it thick, just applying it smooth.

Thank you so much bo and shannonu, i will watch the video again and research more regarding prep. I think i will invest in cuticle away too. The only other question i have is regarding washing the clients hands after using cuticle away. I do not have a wash basin in my treatment room which is situated upstairs in my home. My bathroom/toilet id down stairs so clients would need to go back down stairs to wash their hands. Would it be ok to keep a fresh bowl of soapy water with me in treatment room and let them wash there hands in the bowl and then i would dry the with a clean towl? Please do let me know your thoughts on this.

Thank you again ladies xx

The above video is Mani Q not Gelish, I never put a thick layer of foundation on as that is not what you are supposed to do with Gelish, I do a Very thin layer only dipping in once for each hand.

I also always cap the free edge, you don't need to do really, really thin layers of colour, just don't overload your brush, most of my clients get 3 weeks plus from their gelish. You will always get the odd client who gets a chip and only gets 2 weeks from it, that is down to them though not the Gelish.

It is all about the prep and when you have mastered this, you will have no problems at all, It took me at least 6 months to get it completely perfect without any problems but now it is a breeze. Keep at it hun, you will get their eventually :) x

Hi

I have been using gelish since 2010....and have finally managed to do my translation November lol..and although I am really confident and doing it all right, there were a couple of minor things I picked up...

Firstly I do my cuticle work, gently scrape any left on plate, then shape with a 240 grit.... I then gently take off shine with a 240 buffer...when brushing the dust I brush down the nail. And side to side ...and then a tip I picked up on training was to also brush up the nail...

Thus you are takin away the dust and fibres instead of constantly brushing back onto nail...

Wipe with cleanse, then ph bond does the rest xxxxx

Bo and I are aware that the video is Mani q. It's a generally helpful video showing his polishing technique. The op has already said she is fine with her foundation layer, other than not having cuticle fully removed. I use Greg's style and use Gelish exclusively also. I don't follow his foundation layer either but the polishing is quite applicable for all gel polishes.

Befab.... I think I know what you mean with the free edge tiny bits hanging from the free edge. I use a 100 file (I know higher is better but my salon only provides this one)
Because I use a 100 file I get tiny bits on the free edge, soooo i use a buffer and gently file under the nail edge, that removes the hanging bits thus making that edge smoother. Hope this helps you too.

"Would it be ok to keep a fresh bowl of soapy water with me in treatment room and let them wash there hands in the bowl and then i would dry the with a clean towl? Please do let me know your thoughts on this"

Yes. I use a bowl with water and have the client dip their hands in water then i use a manicure brush and brush down ALL cuticle away. then I pat dry with a towel hope you understand this method. or you can use a spray bottle and spray ALL cuticle away then pat dry.

Instead of a bowl, which would need refilling with fresh water for every client, you could use a water spray bottle, filled with soapy water and spray each nail and wipe away the Cuticle Away.

Instead of a bowl, which would need refilling with fresh water for every client, you could use a water spray bottle, filled with soapy water and spray each nail and wipe away the Cuticle Away.

I agree with you. I use a bottle with a pump of soap and the rest water. It's not sanitary to use the same bowl without changing the water after every client

Ok lovely, i always leave half hour between clients which gives me the chance for a fresh bowl and fresh water but i do like the spray bottle idea too. I would like to say a big thank you again to all the ladies that replied and helped me with my question. I shall keep you all updated with my progress xx

I think with the colour you are using it doesn't need to be quite as thin as you are doing it (yes it needs to be thin so it doesn't wrinkle, but you should be doing it thick enough so you only need two coats), it is quite a watery colour but try slightly more colour gelish than you're currently using.

Check out this video �� it really helped me polish thinner layers. Mani

Thank you for posting this video :)

Latest posts

Back