Gelish or Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nk nails

Reaction score
I currently use coloured gels by nouvea nails, not a popular brand but they do the job and clients are happy. I'm getting more confident now since I qualified and wanted to start on the bigger and better brands.

Which do you suggest I buy and why?

Also, where can I get kits from, kits which have a few shades and the other bits and bobs in them?

I heard theres alot of fake stuff going around, so I'm unsure which websites I should order from.

Thank u xx

Gelish for me, it really is hard wearing im tough on my nails and put them through a lot lol and it really stays on (im also a secret picker i know very bad!!! Dont practice what i preach) but I honestly cannot pick it off I actually have to soak it off which is great for my nails! Soaks off quickly and love the colors bella vampire is a must lol to name a few.

Shellac is good I used it in a salon I worked in, but bottles are smaller than gelish and I prefer gelish colours tbh.. I cant say anything bad about shellac but im very much a gelish fan x

Thanks for the advice chazac. I think I might have to try both before I make my mind up. Maybe get my nails done to see how I find it.

I also read through the other thread. Was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I have a 36w UV Lamp which I use. Will this lamp be okay to use with shellac or Gelish? Or do I need a different lamp?

Hi it depends what you want.
Shellac is not a gel polish it is a power polish with gel properties but acts more like a nail polish, application is really easy and removal is very quick. No shine removal is required from the natural nail for shellac which is something natural nails clients really like.

The wattage of a lamp is just the electrical output it is the uv output that cures a product. You are always recommended to use the lamp that goes with the system so with shellac you would e recommended to use the CND lamp which will give you optimum cure for CNF shellac and all other CND gel systems.

Thanks for that. I am looking more into shellac, I have read alot of good stuff about it. Wont be for a few weeks until I have the money for it all though. So will my lamp not cure shellac properly? If I can get away with using it for a little while that would save me a bit of cash. If a CND lamp needs to be used then obviously I will buy that.

Thanks for that. I am looking more into shellac, I have read alot of good stuff about it. Wont be for a few weeks until I have the money for it all though. So will my lamp not cure shellac properly? If I can get away with using it for a little while that would save me a bit of cash. If a CND lamp needs to be used then obviously I will buy that.
Only the CND lamp will cure Shellac! You need it; it's part of the system and there is no other option that will help you "get away" with using another lamp (even for a short while ... If he product is not cured it is not cured.)

The best way to buy into the line is with a package which includes the lamp. Welcome - Sweet Squared are the legal, licensed UK and Ireland Master distributors. You can call to register with them as a professional on 08452106060 and I recommend ringing them to register rather than emailing ... Much faster. HTH

Gelish pros- great colour range, larger size bottles, little peep hole in the bottle so you can see how much you have left, has more strength......
Gelish cons- some colours need 3 or 4 coats, drips round the edge of the bottle
Shellac pros- nice deep colours so very very rarely have to do more than 2 coats, easier to buy more in the first place as it's cheaper but the bottles are half the size of gelish, great marketing material.
Shellac cons- not enough colour choice, some colours go gloopy half way down the bottle, more expensive as the bottles are half the size

Shellac as CND do their best only to sell to pros obv there is always going to be people that get hold of it or buy copies but they try their hardest I've had far too many distant friends and clients able to buy gelish easily from nail harmony and Sally's none of Them have any training but easily signed up online and bought a kit. I did use gelish for a little while and liked the choices in colour but had enough of the messers buying it and now use CND shellac exclusively

Latest posts

Back