Gelish-what did I do wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro-Beauty

Reaction score
I did three colours of Gelish in stripes on the nail plate with silver striping tape in between each colour, I followed with two layers of structure and one coat of top it off.

After two days the client said the clear coat is peeling away... What did I do wrong?

I was under the assumption that Structure is supposed to go under Gelish. Its used as a "foundation" for more strength. Did you seal all edges? That could cause lifting.

Sent from my Xoom using SalonGeek mobile app

Some times when the gel is too thick clients tend to pick, or it catches on things if there's a little lifting. Striping tape is hard too ! Some times it lifts and could be a catalyst to the failure of the gel manicure . The can't be right to the end of the nail or right against any edge of the nail , even the cuticle. Not sure how yours looked , but some of those could be the reason as to why ! :)

I usually use structure underneath too, but I think you can use it over too. Two layers may have made it a bit thick causing the peeling maybe?

you can use it on top of colour as well for strength. x

I always cut the striping tape a bit short of the nail plate so it dosn't come away. I use structure gel because its self leveling so thought it would be good for on top of the tape.

...so maybe its because i used 2 coats of structure gel?! Gutted it took me 2 hours to do & looked good

Attachments

• 1238201_496473007116087_2118309455_n.jpg
    1238201_496473007116087_2118309455_n.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 880
I always cut the striping tape a bit short of the nail plate so it dosn't come away. I use structure gel because its self leveling so thought it would be good for on top of the tape.

...so maybe its because i used 2 coats of structure gel?! Gutted it took me 2 hours to do & looked good

They are lovely, I've never got striping tape to stay in gelish, I won't use the stuff now I'm so scared of it lol!!!!!! X

I did three colours of Gelish in stripes on the nail plate with silver striping tape in between each colour, I followed with two layers of structure and one coat of top it off.

After two days the client said the clear coat is peeling away... What did I do wrong?

Just a though.....Did you press the striping tape down on the nail with your finger as you could have got oil from your finger on the nail, hense it not sticking

Just a though.....Did you press the striping tape down on the nail with your finger as you could have got oil from your finger on the nail, hense it not sticking

hmmm i cant remember? good thought!

I use nail glue to stick everything down. Then apply tio

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you only need 1 layer of structure if it's just to smooth the colour. I would use glue too to stick down the tape.
Touching it with your finger shouldn't really effect it.It doesn't effect it if you tap glitter down.
Maybe it just wasn't wrapped round fully.
Did you wipe away the stick layer? You can do this but dry brushing is better.
They look gorgeous btw :)

Laura xx

I think you only need 1 layer of structure if it's just to smooth the colour. I would use glue too to stick down the tape.
Touching it with your finger shouldn't really effect it.It doesn't effect it if you tap glitter down.
Maybe it just wasn't wrapped round fully.
Did you wipe away the stick layer? You can do this but dry brushing is better.
They look gorgeous btw :)

Thanks, I will try 1 structure layer next time. Can you recommend a good nail glue and how to apply to the tape/nail?

My tape stayed on fine but i didn't wipe/brush away the inhibition layer so will also try that next time...

Update: after speaking with client on next appointment she said the nails actually bubbled!? She could squash/push the bubbles out...

I have never had that before!! Any ideas?

That sounds like under curing? Have you checked your bulbs/lamp? Did you apply the colour quite thickly?

Such a shame as they are lovely!

Latest posts

Back