Glamorous Lengths - feedback please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanTranquil

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to all this so please bear with me.

3 weeks ago I had extensions applied and although I was happy with the service and the quality of hair at the time, things have now changed. The 'Russian' hair initially seemed of good quality but now I'm in my third week and the quality is shocking. It's now dull, dry rough and brittle and is separating into strands making the hair look so unnatural.

The extensions were applied with microbeads and within the first week I lost about 25. They were reapplied which then lasted me another 2 weeks until I lost the same amount again (but in different places). I had them put back in thurs n then Yesterday I had my hair coloured by a professional and once the colour was washed out a chunk of them matted together and was impossible to brush free. In the process of trying to get the hair back to normal I ended losing a whole bunch again.

I'm not knocking the stylist (if that's what u call em!) at all as she is been willing to correct it but I genuinely feel the quality is of a low standard and are completely misleading in the quality.

Now I know a question u may ask is the after care I followed, which I followed strictly to the point of researching the best hair care products and also learning about the processes and hair quality so I could make sure I didn't do something wrong. After all it's a lot of money to spend and want to do everything correctly. Unfortunately since handing my money over it seems the hair isn't of the quality it's stating. I'm currently in a civilised dispute with the stylist who is refusing to give me any money back and said I should contact them but after reading on here I'm not sure I'm going to get any joy from them.

So....after reading many posts and threads on here in regards to GL, my question is, how far have people got with trading standards? I appreciate that it may not be posted on an open forum so any feedback by private message would be much appreciated.

I'm just wondering what the best course of action is to take with them.

I hope my thread isn't too confusing.

Many thanks

Xx

Did you buy the hair yourself?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hello

No the stylist bought it x

Hello, do you mind telling us what your aftercare routine is,

How often do you wash your hair? What with? What ither products do you use?

I know you said youve been good based on your research but what does that mean please?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you lost that amount in the first few weeks it is probably down to the technicians application ie not securing/applying them correctly or your hair may not be suitable for that particular method.
25 is a lot to lose but to lose 25 twice in a short space of time?? There are many different methods of applying extensions which may be more suitable and there are many other technicians which will be able to advise you correctly on which you would be more suitable to. Consultations should always be thorough for this reason.
As for the quality of the hair I have not used them before so I couldn't comment. I hope you get this matter sorted soon xx

First of all, it would be great to stop hearing about people wanting to involve trading standards, threatening other people and wanting to sue them. After all, it's not like you went to the store, got a juicer and now the thing won't switch on, in which case you take the juicer back and get another one or a refund.
When it comes to hair, nobody tells even the stylist the truth about where it came from and what it was treated with. There is a limit to a stylist's ability to deal with certain situations.
When it comes to Glamorous Lengths, they never advertised their hair as being Russian/European or anything like that. It says 'Russia range' on their website, that's like calling fish roe 'caviar style'. The price is also moderate, at least in the hair world.
The number 1 reason for people losing bonds is because factory-made bonds were applied, not hand rolled ones. The factory bonds look just like a shoelace tip and are just as slippery. Reason number 2 is that some people just can't deal with the maintenance that extensions require. I had two clients like this, I tried everything, I even fitted them with hair of different monetary values, both telling them and not telling them that this time they had the cheaper/more expensive hair in, all for the sake of getting to the bottom of what the actual problem was and guess what? No matter what hair I used, it was always a tangled mess after 3 months!
If your stylist (and yeah, that's what you do call 'em!) is willing to help, let them sort it out, go over your bonds again and maybe explain aftercare more in-depth. If you can, let us know what you've been doing with your hair so we can troubleshoot.

Hi all

Many thanks for your feedback.

I don't wish to contact trading standards it's only after reading feedback on here that trying to get an answer from GL is an absolute nightmare so am thinking it's my only route.

Long hair is something I've always wanted so i am not one for missing what is required in maintaining them to their best. I use a loop brush, brush through morning and evening and tie up on an evening. I use redken diamond oil shampoo and conditioner which is silicone free and also redken argan oil and anti snap leave in treatment. I only wash my hair twice a week. When I straighten the hair i use a heat protection spray as well. The colour used was a semi permanent so didn't have peroxide in.

My main issue is the quality of the hair now it has been washed a few times. The stylist advised it is Russian.

In regards to the bonds I appreciate micro may not be the best for me so would be willing to change to something else but the best for me was not discussed in the consultation only what type of bond I wanted. When they come out they aren't sliding down the hair it is attached to, my own hair is still in the bond so has been ripped from my head. I am so gentle with the hair so could understand if I was been too rough!

Thanks again

Xx

Hi all

Many thanks for your feedback.

I don't wish to contact trading standards it's only after reading feedback on here that trying to get an answer from GL is an absolute nightmare so am thinking it's my only route.

Long hair is something I've always wanted so i am not one for missing what is required in maintaining them to their best. I use a loop brush, brush through morning and evening and tie up on an evening. I use redken diamond oil shampoo and conditioner which is silicone free and also redken argan oil and anti snap leave in treatment. I only wash my hair twice a week. When I straighten the hair i use a heat protection spray as well. The colour used was a semi permanent so didn't have peroxide in.

My main issue is the quality of the hair now it has been washed a few times. The stylist advised it is Russian.

In regards to the bonds I appreciate micro may not be the best for me so would be willing to change to something else but the best for me was not discussed in the consultation only what type of bond I wanted. When they come out they aren't sliding down the hair it is attached to, my own hair is still in the bond so has been ripped from my head. I am so gentle with the hair so could understand if I was been too rough!

Thanks again

Xx

If the extensions are ripping your hair out, that's serious and you need to do something about it asap, I'd be way more worried about that than about the quality of the hair. One reason for this could be that the strands were fitted too close to your head, or that the sections of your own hair that hold the attached strands are way too thin and can't hold the weight of the strand. Please don't confuse natural shedding with hair that has been ripped out though! For example, I have tons of hair and I shed a lot of it too, it's always been like this and this is natural for me. Maybe you are in a similar position.
I don't think that the method here is of any concern, after all it's pretty much hot or cold application we're talking, no matter what fancy names the applications are being given. Before micro rings came along everyone had to go for either the glue gun method (now pretty much obsolete) and then the prebonded method and nobody complained more than they complain now!
When it comes to hair, it is pretty much impossible to give any guarantees. GL may be buying their hair from a Chinese wholesaler, but we'll never know! They can call it whatever they like because there are no laws to prevent them from doing so. Maybe your stylist didn't know about the clever 'Russia range' name or they told you it was Russian in order to embellish because that's what most clients nowadays want to hear. Also, please don't be fooled into thinking that all Russian women have great hair-the total opposite is actually true. So even if the hair was indeed from a Russian head, it could be very very bad, or it could also be Oriental as Russia has a plethora of Oriental peoples!

Thanks a lot. I do appreciate your feedback.

Yeah I can understand that since it is human hair it will not be the same as the next persons but did expect it to be better after a few washes.

Can I just ask would it matter if the hair was tipped forward when washing? As this is one of the points she mentioned but have not seen it mentioned elsewhere. I wouldn't have thought it would matter but she said it would.

Xx

Thanks a lot. I do appreciate your feedback.

Yeah I can understand that since it is human hair it will not be the same as the next persons but did expect it to be better after a few washes.

Can I just ask would it matter if the hair was tipped forward when washing? As this is one of the points she mentioned but have not seen it mentioned elsewhere. I wouldn't have thought it would matter but she said it would.

Xx

Yes that is one of the big no-no's, tipping your head forward when washing. If you like you can PM me and I can send you the aftercare memo I usually send to my clients.

Hi op,

I think you want to keep your hair extensions , you just want them to play nicely right.

I would suggest changing your shampoo, while it may not have silicon it does have sulfates which are normally on the no-no list. Also the antisnap is a powerful spray theres a couple of threads on it and it comes across as 'so good its bad' use it too liberally and it causes snapping. Theres so much treatment on new extensions it takes several washes to get down, a gentle shampoo/conditioner is all thats needed certainly in the first couple of weeks. Try a regular hair extension shampoo and a matching deep conditioner left on for 20mins , a drop of argan/moroccan type oil and a smooth blowdry I wouldnt be surprised if it revives quite nicely.

Also, Try adding another wash in the week, I find environmental and product buildup makes cardboardy hair.

Washing your hair upside down maybe a cause of the loss, its so heavy and unsupported it really hurts I can't imagine how you cope doing it? I like to rest mine on my left shoulder and wash the right sides bonds then swop, no heavy weight pulling by doing that.

Make sure you start brushing from the ends and work up so your not tugging on knotts and pulling bonds loose.

Its a pity your stylist hasnt gone through this with you rather then just fixing it. She could try using 2 rings on troublesome areas or a copper tube either will double the area of grip and make it a more secure bond.

Do take mau's offer up for an aftercare leaflet x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks to U both.

I've only tipped it once and it felt awful, it's not something I do regularly I do exactly how u do : )

I questioned her about sulphates in the products and she said it only had to be silicone free.....I was thinking of adding another wash but it said on the after care leaflet no more than 2 in a week....

Thanks I'll take you up on the offer!

Xx

So..... In four weeks I have had a total of 91 come out. I'm booked in with the stylist tomorrow to get the 41 put back in and she has said for me to pay - do u think I should? She hasn't asked for the full maintenance price but my family think I shouldn't due to the amount that has come out since I had it done.

Latest posts

Back