Glitter with gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffle

Reaction score
How would you do glitter tips using gel? I was planning to use natural tips (as I haven't got into sculpting YET) but just wondered if you would mix the glitter in some gel, or dip it? Or would I be better off getting pre-mixed glitter gel? Thanks.x

Hi, how are you?
Any of those methods youve mentioned are fine.
I do it by applying a thin viscosity gel like flex from young nails, just on the free edge where you want your gel to stick, cure it, and when its tackey press glitter into it with a brush. Then I press it with my finger to ensure a good adhersion, brush off any excess with a manicure brush, wipe or tidy up the smile line, and then overlay the glitter with gel again to sandwich it onto the extension.
I hope my method can help.:)

Thanks Nicki, I'll certainly give it a try! Anything I've tried before just results in the glitter getting everywhere on the nailbed! Thanks. xx

hiya, i mix the glitter in with whatever colour/clear gel i am using and mix the glitter into the gel with my dotting tool, i mix it on the non stick side of my forms backing paper, i just make sure i have a supply to use, then apply as i would with say white for the french look hth x

I like to use empty paint-pot strips, to mix my custom colours/glitters in gel.
That way, I know for SURE I have enough for 10nails, and always have a bit left for refill/rebalance or another set AND none gets wasted.
I store them in a tupperware bin, to protect them from sunlight/uv light.

Like these:
yellowmoon-translucent-acrylic-mini-paint-pots.JPG

hth's

Hi, I've done the whole nail as glitter and have had sooo many compliments I must have done something right!. Basically, if it's a new set I apply base layer and build apex, then BEFORE curing, sprinkle glitter all over the entire nail (Leaning over a dish to catch the excess), tap off excess and with a clean brush wipe around the outside of the nails to make sure no glitter has stuck there. Then I cure, BUT I add an extra minute as the cure has to go through the glitter. After curing, I brush off any excess with nail brush then apply another layer of clear gel and cure, then final gloss and voila!. Obviously this method has to be done fast as you are building at the same time but you could build first I suppose and then appy a very thin layer of gel and add the glitter at that point. The beauty of this is that with the gel on top of the glitter they look like they should be rough but they're gorgeous and smooth and sooo blingy. I have gained extra clients just from people looking at my nails in shops etc and they were soooo easy to do too.
Hope that helps,
have a fab Xmas xxxxxxx

Hi, I've done the whole nail as glitter and have had sooo many compliments I must have done something right!. Basically, if it's a new set I apply base layer and build apex, then BEFORE curing, sprinkle glitter all over the entire nail (Leaning over a dish to catch the excess), tap off excess and with a clean brush wipe around the outside of the nails to make sure no glitter has stuck there. Then I cure, BUT I add an extra minute as the cure has to go through the glitter. After curing, I brush off any excess with nail brush then apply another layer of clear gel and cure, then final gloss and voila!. Obviously this method has to be done fast as you are building at the same time but you could build first I suppose and then appy a very thin layer of gel and add the glitter at that point. The beauty of this is that with the gel on top of the glitter they look like they should be rough but they're gorgeous and smooth and sooo blingy. I have gained extra clients just from people looking at my nails in shops etc and they were soooo easy to do too.
Hope that helps,
have a fab Xmas xxxxxxx

Thank you - will definitely give this a try! Merry christmas!! x

Hiya Julie, Forgot to say, I freeze cure each nail immediately after applying the glitter and then do the full cure when whole hand has been done. Gained another client yesterday when lady in newsagents saw my nails (you can't miss them!!) so definitely try it and you'll be known as the blingy nail lady!!. I also decided to call them Rockstar Glitter Nails in my service list and I'm the only 1 in my area to offer this so I'm letting you into my top secret method lol lol lol.
Have a fab Xmas xxxxx

Ooh well thank you!! Not sure I'd do it as much justice as you, but I'll have a try...maybe on a few tips first! Freeze cure - that's just sticking them under for 10 secs or so isn't it? xx

Hi, if doing glitter tips, I use base, then just tip with build gel and dip the finger into a pot of glitter, you can clean the smile line up with a cuticle stick, dipping gives a very intense and good coverage. If you are sculpting, you can mix the glitter on a spatula with the gel and sculpt the patterns on.

Have a look at my website, loads on there but need to update it because I do much more adventurous patterns now :)

www.retreatguernsey.co.uk

Zoe

Hi, if doing glitter tips, I use base, then just tip with build gel and dip the finger into a pot of glitter, you can clean the smile line up with a cuticle stick, dipping gives a very intense and good coverage. If you are sculpting, you can mix the glitter on a spatula with the gel and sculpt the patterns on.

Have a look at my website, loads on there but need to update it because I do much more adventurous patterns now :)

www.retreatguernsey.co.uk

Zoe

Thanks Zoe. Would you then cure the tip, then go back and cover the natural nail? What do you do to avoid spreading glitter when you go over it?

it depends on how much glitter the client wants! and how much mess u wana make! hehe

if a client wants it to be really glittery then apply the gel cure then sprinkle glitter on! but it really had to get glitter just on the tip and not on the rest of the nail then its a nightmare to get it off! that to me is the messy way of doing it as you have to sprinkle loose glitter and that has a mind of its own!

the much clean way to do it as VHunter said pre mix your glitter in the gel! that way it doesnt go every were!

another way to do it which i like the best! as then when the client comes for the rebalance it makes it easy to change the colour of the glitter! as if you do it first it make it a pain to file all the way down!
after youve finished you gel nail and youve filed it up ready for you top coat.
i use shellac base coat cure that then a layer of coloured shellac then cure then put the glitter on then push it down make sure its all ok then cure again! then 2 coat of shellac top coat! you can do this either over just the tip or over the whole nail! and it looks fab and the Shellac keeps it nice and shiny and also shellac is thin so u dont have the bulk of gel!

i think you just need to exsperiment youself and see what works for you! x

Latest posts

Back