Going back to the freedom of being a traveller

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the thing, if some of the things weve had said and done to our family over the years had been done to someone of say sikh background or of african origin then itd be stopped straight away.

Thats the thing, if some of the things weve had said and done to our family over the years had been done to someone of say sikh background or of african origin then itd be stopped straight away.

I find it do discussing in this day and age this sort of thing still goes on.

I hope your move goes well and you settle in quickly x

I grew up on sites on the road, its like having your hole family and support system right at your door.

We only moved into a house because our site was being shut and the council offered us a flat. I wasnt even allowed a cat!

I grew up on sites on the road, its like having your hole family and support system right at your door.

We only moved into a house because our site was being shut and the council offered us a flat. I wasnt even allowed a cat!

My clients have said the same about having family with you all the time. It sounds lovely. I wish I had that sort of support, especially since I had my children.

Off we go 

But.......did you have a big wedding dress? Lol
I think it's great. It's history and heritage, nothing at all to be ashamed about! Safe travels

Do you think shows like big fat gypsy wedding have helped in changing people's perceptions on the traveller community?
Best of luck to you :)

I think its made some people think that all us women do is clean!!

I was home schooled by my auntie and then trained with cnd, you know that show made us out to be all out the crystals and excess but were not!

Im an english traveller and the show many focused on the irish pave way of life.

We arnt all like that. I have a large amount of clients who are travellers and they are all lovely. I got some people telling me to stay away as they would be trouble but I'm so glad I didn't listen to them.

I think the way travellers are treated is discounting. If you treated coloured people like that you would be in court for rasisum

Errr @Nevergivingup Who and what is coloured people please enlighten me

FYI "coloured" is a non-PC term and considered racist by some.

I figure given the nature of this thread that's important to note.

I have been fascinated by the Gypsy Wedding & Thelma's Gypsy Girls programmes and had to filter out the car-crash tv elements where channel 4 makes it out to be a freak show sometimes (the "here come & have a look at this!" factor of it all) BUT I have learned a hell of a lot about the traveller communities that I didn't know before.

Errr @Nevergivingup Who and what is coloured people please enlighten me

I am sorry if I have caused offence that is how my friends refer to them selves I didn't realise it was not ok x

I am sorry if I have caused offence that is how my friends refer to them selves I didn't realise it was not ok x

Yeh right I don't think so... But apology accepted, education is an ongoing processes for us all...

Lovely response!!

It is clear to me you meant no insult by the way you had written your post.

People, you KNOW when someone intends to insult or incite.

There are plenty of examples of insulting behaviour on these boards and depending on who the instigator is, there are times when NO ONE steps in to protest.

It saddens me when something innocent is highlighted as something more than it is.

Peace and respect xxx

Yeh right I don't think so... But apology accepted, education is an ongoing processes for us all...

Does this mean that although you have accepted the apology you don't believe her?

Today my husband and my kids are packing up and moving back to our roots.

Going back to a shaly, get away from all the horrible things that I never want my kids to see.

I never told any geeks or clients I was a traveller but now I feel no shame.

So any questions fire away ladies!

How exiting, i bet your kids are exited for there new adventure, never feel shame we are all the equal :hug: your lucky you have the choice, all the best for your new path your taking x x x

Good Luck to you. I find it all really interesting, no stress of renting and you can't do this and can't do that and the feeling of Freedom....why not! :wink2:

i think this was a lovely apology :hug:

Lovely response!!

It is clear to me you meant no insult by the way you had written your post.

People, you KNOW when someone intends to insult or incite.

There are plenty of examples of insulting behaviour on these boards and depending on who the instigator is, there are times when NO ONE steps in to protest.

It saddens me when something innocent is highlighted as something more than it is.

Peace and respect xxx

I do agree but I meant it genuinely. I hope I didn't offend. It surprises me that a lot of people don't know that term is offensive and I think a lot of people are offended by it. I do think it's important, and pertinent given the nature of the thread which touches on racism, misunderstanding and labelling between cultures xx

I agree with you Pixiebeauty but it is so difficult to know what the 'correct' thing is to say, Unfortunately we do sometimes have to describe someone by the colour of their skin or ethnic origin. I find myself getting into a right muddle when trying to educate my children about the right way to say things and end up going back to my hairdressing training and categorizing as 'afro-carribean' or 'asian' which I know isn't correct but help us out?? I would absolutely hate to offend anyone honestly, but i'm quite sure most would describe me as short, fat and white.

Latest posts

Back