Going through far too many files...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
Hiya

I have gone through sooo many files in two days!!!! The 180/240 ones. I really love using the curved files but I got these straight ones instead. They say washable, but whats the point in washing them if they have lost all their strength?

Is there something in my filing that is wrong? I have not had this problem before, but then previously I wasn't doing so many sets of nails.

Its like they are really useless now. I have read Geegs filing tutorials and was really focusing on my techniques and doing it PROPERLY but still my files have gone down.

I alway spray them with sanitizer after my clients but now am using a new one on every person.

I would have thought that using a new on per person was common practice BUT on my training course, I was told that there is no need.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm going to order some more files but I feel stupid when I'm in the middle of doing someones nails and I have to nip out the back to get a new file.

CadenceAlex said:
Hiya

I have gone through sooo many files in two days!!!! The 180/240 ones. I really love using the curved files but I got these straight ones instead. They say washable, but whats the point in washing them if they have lost all their strength? Have you gave this a go...they can be washed and they do come back to life...i use these files on new sets.

Is there something in my filing that is wrong? I have not had this problem before, but then previously I wasn't doing so many sets of nails. You answered your own question..lol

Its like they are really useless now. I have read Geegs filing tutorials and was really focusing on my techniques and doing it PROPERLY but still my files have gone down.

I alway spray them with sanitizer after my clients but now am using a new one on every person. Are you brushing the dust out first then spraying..?

I would have thought that using a new on per person was common practice BUT on my training course, I was told that there is no need. I always use a new one on a re-balance...nice and crisp..gets the job done.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm going to order some more files but I feel stupid when I'm in the middle of doing someones nails and I have to nip out the back to get a new file. Then get it out ready b4 she comes...:)

Hope this helps

Thanks Angie

Nope I wasn't washing the dust out of the files - just spraying them with sanitiser until the dust disappeared :smack: DOH!

How do you wash the files? Or is sanitising them classed as washing?

You can wash them in warm water and a drop of Citruscrub...then use a nail brush to give them a good scrub....leave to dry on a towel then spray with something like Chlor-I-Spray...Both from DN

NailStyle said:
You can wash them in warm water and a drop of Citruscrub...then use a nail brush to give them a good scrub....leave to dry on a towel then spray with something like Chlor-I-Spray...Both from DN
I do the same as Angie but I also just use those files for that particular client the next time - it can be quite bulky storing a set of files per client but mine seem to prefer it - HTH Debbiexxx

I also get through a lot of files and have found this thread very intresting. I have been sending away all my clients with their own file and buffer, which they can bring to their next appointment, or ill use a fresh one. I just like using a sharp (blunted on the edges of course) file for each job, i just find it gets a better result (for me)

If I am on the nail trainer however,I do wash them in scrub and dry them on the radiator (you have to improvise) and they do come up ok, and retain some of the sharpness.

Another tip is explain to your supplier about the problems you are having and maybe they can do you a deal whereby the more you buy the less you spend? I know my supplier is very very helpful.

Hope my little rant helps ! L x

During an advanced class we were taught that if we were going through our files this quickly then we were filing too hard...which means we were applying too much product and trying to shape the nails with the file instead of the brush (thus the saying).

I don't know if this is your experience but I thought I'd throw it out there.

HTH!

Laura

giving clients the file may work, but isnt this giving them the temptation to file their own nails when they shouldnt be? i dunno ive never done that

I used to have sparate files for each client and kep them in a pouch with their record cards. However, most clients didn't appreciate it so now, if they want their own personal file(s), they buy them and I keep them for them.

scratchmyback said:
During an advanced class we were taught that if we were going through our files this quickly then we were filing too hard...which means we were applying too much product and trying to shape the nails with the file instead of the brush (thus the saying).

I don't know if this is your experience but I thought I'd throw it out there.

HTH!

Laura

Hey that's really interesting Laura, thanks for that.

e_lucy said:
I also get through a lot of files and have found this thread very intresting. I have been sending away all my clients with their own file and buffer, which they can bring to their next appointment, or ill use a fresh one. I just like using a sharp (blunted on the edges of course) file for each job, i just find it gets a better result (for me)

If I am on the nail trainer however,I do wash them in scrub and dry them on the radiator (you have to improvise) and they do come up ok, and retain some of the sharpness.

Another tip is explain to your supplier about the problems you are having and maybe they can do you a deal whereby the more you buy the less you spend? I know my supplier is very very helpful.

Hope my little rant helps ! L x

You sound like you have a good supplier! NSI sent me a free Pin badge and a nice welcome letter, but I can't see them offering me discount!!! Who is your supplier?

Dust will blunt a file by clogging it up. A really quick way to clean and sanitise a file is to use a hard tooth brush to get rid of the dust then a spray with a disinfectant. (The proper way for a washable file is to brush the file under running water then submerge in a disinfectant for the right amount of time, rinse and dry) This should be good enough if the nails and skin are healthy and not nicks!

However, the inexpensive files are not designed to last long so don't expect too much from them

mum said:
Dust will blunt a file by clogging it up. A really quick way to clean and sanitise a file is to use a hard tooth brush to get rid of the dust then a spray with a disinfectant. (The proper way for a washable file is to brush the file under running water then submerge in a disinfectant for the right amount of time, rinse and dry) This should be good enough if the nails and skin are healthy and not nicks!

However, the inexpensive files are not designed to last long so don't expect too much from them

Who makes long lasting files?

to clean my files (remove dust) .... not sanitise, i use a block of rubber, it's like a spongy eraser about 1x1x2 , you can get them from newsagent, a geek from this site had her nails done by me a few months ago and she was quite impressed with it .
You just rub along the file and it makes it look brand new ... then sanitise as you normally would

Hi CadenceAlex

This is one of the occasions when 'you get what you pay for'. Usually, you would expect the washable and more expensive files to last longer. You need to balance the cost of the 'disposable' files that will take some quick and easy sanitising against the time and products involved in the longer lasting files.

On the whole, files are not expensive and you need to build the cost of your disposable tools into your prices. Getting good results and using equipment that suits you is much more important. Confidence in what you use is worth spending that bit more if necessary. Every supplier has many different levels of quality and grits etc. Find the one that suits you and build in the cost

If I find that my file appears to be less effective while I am doing the finishing or on rebalances I brush the file with a small hard nail brush and that usually get the dust out and I can continue...If the files still have life in them after I have finished the client then I sanitize them with a spay and put them in a plastic bag with a label with the clients name on for their next visit.

Latest posts

Back