Government Review poses a threat to therapists administering injectable treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rianna87

Reaction score
Last week NHS Medical Director Sir Bruce Keogh released his Parliamentary Review of the Regulation of Cosmetic Interventions. Following the scandal surrounding PIP Breast Implants last year, The Department of Health are now looking more closely at the Cosmetic Enhancements industry and the dangers in can pose upon the General Public.
Within his review, Keogh suggests that only practitioners with a Medical background should be administering cosmetic injectable treatments such as Botox and Dermal Fillers, as members of the Beauty Industry don’t hold a high enough level of qualifications.
The argument from the Beauty Industry’s perspective is that whist it is fair that members of the Medical Profession are highly trained in administering injections, this does not prove that they have the underpinning knowledge and understanding of the intricate facial muscles and their behaviour during facial rejuvenation. However Beauty Therapists do. Facial rejuvenation, in all its methods, is a huge proportion of our industry.
The concern is that if this rule is passed then this may be just the tip of the iceberg. What treatment bans are therapists going to encounter next? Dermal Rolling? Laser Treatments? Electrical Epilation?
On Monday 25th March Carolyne Cross, owner and founder of ISIS Beauty Academy and current Chair of BABTAC & CIBTAC went up to Parliament to meet MP and Shadow Minister for Public Health, Diane Abbott to put forward suggestions, in response The Review, of a Higher Level qualification that those with either a Medical or a Beauty background would have to achieve before being able to perform injectable treatments for cosmetic purposes.
Carolyne, who has been in our industry for over 30 years, is hugely passionate about high standards of training and qualifications. During her term as Chair, she hopes to establish a form of regulation within the Beauty Industry, raising the profile and awareness amongst the General Public on the importance of the Qualified Therapist.
For more information on how details in this article affects you visit http://www.babtac.com/news/
Share your thoughts on these issues.

I'm not a therapist so it won't affect me, but I was always under the influence therapists were more knowledgeable on the muscle, skeletal and vein areas of the body than a nurse.

I know a therapist who dosent do Botox, but were she to train I would be first in line to be a practice model as I trust her much more than I would a doctor or nurse.

All I do agree with is there should be very strict protocol for them kinds of treatments xoxo

Personally I am happy only a medical professional can administer a poison via injection in to peoples faces! Like i think that dentists should do teeth whitening. (My honest opinion)

This industry does need to be regulated.

Us qualified professionals will welcome rules and regulations to help cut back on those unqualified techs.

Now by my comments, i am not hoping any one will be out of work, just that everyone is trained properly.
Xx

I was always under the influence therapists were more knowledgeable on the muscle, skeletal and vein areas of the body than a nurse.

I'm a nurse and a therapist. As a nurse my knowledge and training of anatomy and physiology of the muscular, skeletal and cardiovascular system is far superior to therapists side of things.

Sorry I had to clarify that.

I'm a nurse and a therapist. As a nurse my knowledge and training of anatomy and physiology of the muscular, skeletal and cardiovascular system is far superior to therapists side of things.

Really, I'm surprised, I'm friends with quite a few nurses and my ex sister in law is a sister and they all said when I was studying that the anatomy and physiology that i had to learn was much more in depth than theirs.

Saying that I do think that it should be a Dr prescribing the Botox and that only people who have had in depth training should be allowed anywhere near it.

I'm a therapist, and there's absolutely no way I would ever consider offering injectables!! Although I have good knowledge of muscles and facial anatomy the thought of injecting anything into the face fills me with horror!

Leave it to the properly trained aesthetic nurses to do, and yes, this industry needs regulation immediately.

I welcome the regulation! i think its horrific that unqualified therapists are injecting potentially harmful substances in clients faces.

I work within medical aesthetics and i wouldnt hire anyone other than a doctor or nurse to do my injectables, plus the doc or nurse needs to have experience in facial injections, i have seen doctors give people droopy eyes etc because they havent perfected their technique not any doctor has the skill to work with botox/filers.

This is such a controversial topic. The report in fact hasn't ruled out non medics from delivering injectables. What it recommends is a standardization of training qualification across the board. It's not fair to say ALL BT have a superior knowledge of facial anatomy than ALL nurses. There are good and bad in every profession. I feel most importantly the issue is one of who can prescribe the treatments. Remote prescribing was a very bad practice. It's a good thing it's gone. Now with the prospect of fillers going to prescription only this will further regulate the industry which can only be a good thing surely.
BT's and nurses ought to be supporting each other not sniping about who is better at what. We all strive to be the best at what we do and some mutual support would be good to see. The salon where I practice has five excellent BT's and we all work together to give clients a really good experience.

Latest posts

Back