Greetings....US Geeks, pls help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eni

Reaction score
Nothing against everyone else but I'm stateside and I need the US Geeks to advise on a few things, if possible.

What is the best training here in the States? I trained 20 years ago :eek: in IBD L&P and I've been researching and it seems that not many IBD, EzFlow classes are to be had in the Southeast (I'm in Florida).

Should I just get gel training and be done with it? (although I admit that gel sort of freaks me out as I did have a set of gel on once, about a year ago and they did not last at all on me, though I'm extremely hard on my nails)

Being I have been trained, would it be a good idea to just get a trial L&P kit and have a go to see which one "feels" best and then proceed accordingly?:rolleyes:

Mostly, I am looking to start doing my own nails for now, and then once I'm satisfied that I can do it properly, go for my FL license and work mobile.

Any assistance, most appreciated.

Thanx!

Nancy:)

Hi Nancy,

Yes I am in England but feel I can advise you on this one.
I suggest you try Creative Nail Design/Designer Nails. My very good friend in Ft Walton Beach says it is still the favourite choice for both client and technician. because they are still provding excellent training and the products are still by far the best. How's the weather there by the way??
I really miss Florida!:cry:

Oh I would trade weather with you right now if I could.....lived here 12 years and still miss my seasons......:cry:

I've been researching like mad on the net and it looks like creative are the ones that are most used here.....but I don't see any classes down here any time soon.....:grr:

Now whilst on their site poking about I see that they have all different l&p systems, and I'm thinking I might get the sample size of the retention and the moxie (which looks like the stuff I trained on) and see if the "feel" is the same.

I've signed up for the email updates so hopefully something will turn up soon.

Thanx for the reply!

Nancy

Hi Nancy!

Love your name! :hug: Heheheheee. Okay, as for the training... am I correct to have read that you haven't got your state license yet at all? If not, were you going to get just your manicurist license or cosmo license?

Your school should train you on all aspect of nail care. Everything from bone structure to L&P, fiberglass, and gels. That alone will open up the door on telling you which system you like and dislike.

For actual brands...trial and error. I have been doing nails for fourteen years, in California and now in North Carolina. I have used everything under the sun at least once. I have settled on Creative for acrylics and OPI for gels.

Most nail companies are pretty awesome if you call and tell them your starting out and would like to try their product. They'll spend the time it takes educating you about their products and set you up with a starter kit. But be patient and what ever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!

Here is a little word of advice though....stay away from Sally's. Their products there for nails are horrible. It's good to learn with...but thats about it. Hope I have helped!

Find who your reliable distributors are, check in with them frequently as they usually hold "in house" training for licensed technicians and cosmetologists. If you currently hold a license this would be an excellent way to brush up on skills that have been forgotten. Usually the cost of the class is the purchase price of a starter kit, or you will get the equivalent of your class price back in products from the sponsoring company.

If you do not have a license, PLEASE, PLEASE carefully research the school you would like to attend. There are some real "humdingers" out there that are not truly qualified for something as important as nail technology. Ask for references, visit the clinic floor- even if you book a service to do so- and observe the instructional staff, are they involved, do they monitor students, will the answer questions when asked, will they stop and explain or correct a procedure if it is obviously incorrect?

I'm sure I've raised more questions than I've answered, but I would be glad to help in anyway possible.:)

Hi Jen and Nancy (yep love that name alright):)

I was licenced in New York way back when but not licenced now (also I'm in Florida and the licences aren't transferable). I would only be interested in the nail tech licence and not the full cosmo licence. I already have the info on the Florida law regarding this and that part doesn't look so bad (as I had those classes in New York and its still in the noggin)

I did find a place local to me but I was not impressed with it at all, as I'd been there for a service before (didn't even realise it was a training place, to be honest, it was rather run down)...sigh...and they use OPI but yet on the OPI website they aren't listed as a trainer so....I don't think so.

To be honest, all of the new systems that have me a bit concerned (if thats the right word) I've contacted the manufacturers and explained my dilemma on the contact form so I have to see what transpires from that.

I've been looking on the web at the low odour l&p's and also info on gels although the whole gel thing really seems a lot more complicated to me so probably best I stick with what I know and then, later on, concentrate on the gel thing (a proper course).

Thanx for all the help though....I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. I just hope you all have the patience to deal with these questions (cos I'm sure there will be more).

:)

Nancy

Have a look at beautytech.com

It's an american site and they can tell you more about American schools and such than we could.
Granted... brands remain the same :wink2:

However, school is not the same in US as the UK and also varies state to state.

hth's.

Latest posts

Back