grey spots on acrylic is this uneven coverage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonjovirock4eva

Reaction score
hi guys i have spent the day with my nail trainer practicing like crazy p&w application with l&p and the problem i am finding is that when it comes to finishing the nail im getting grey spots? :irked:
is this down to uneven coverage of my white or am i not leaving the product to cure long enough? or am i over filing? im really confused! if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it xxx :hug:

hi guys i have spent the day with my nail trainer practicing like crazy p&w application with l&p and the problem i am finding is that when it comes to finishing the nail im getting grey spots? :irked:
is this down to uneven coverage of my white or am i not leaving the product to cure long enough? or am i over filing? im really confused! if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it xxx :hug:

Are you a l&p girl? If so its probably incorrect ratio, if its gel, have no clue, and would be interested to know:lol:

hi im saving for my l&p foundation course (cnd)
im currently using the retention+ free sample (from scratch mag) to practice before i start the course xxx:hug:

hi im saving for my l&p foundation course (cnd)
im currently using the retention+ free sample (from scratch mag) to practice before i start the course xxx:hug:
Then thats a defio its your ratio and its a common error in the beginning. have a look in the tutorials on here, one of them is all about getting the ratio right.

thank you x ive read this before and did know i was working a bit wet (the bead melts to much) i cant wait to get on the course to learn properly x ive actually been offered whilst training to shadow a tech that uses creative so should hopefully be able to pick up some tips there xxx:hug:

thank you x ive read this before and did know i was working a bit wet (the bead melts to much) i cant wait to get on the course to learn properly x ive actually been offered whilst training to shadow a tech that uses creative so should hopefully be able to pick up some tips there xxx:hug:
Your white ball when you pick it up on your brush should look like a spiky snow ball,
when you have dipped your brush into the monomer wipe the brush on the side of the dappen dish gently 3 or 4 times so that it looks like there isn't hardly any monomer left in it, then dip the tip of your brush into the white polymer and drag it towards you, slightly and gently,
lift out of the polymer (should look like a spiky snowball) count 123 then place the white ball on the free edge, again count 123 to give the monomer and polymer time to mix together fully, (this prevents the marbling effect) then move the white ball into your smile line shape, hth

Where are the grey spots??

If they are on the white, it could be that you white application is uneven in zone 1 and then you are pulling the pink over zone 1 slightly (we all do it!) and when filing, you have not removed all the pink that's been pulled over.
Or.....you have applied your whites too thin and have filed some off??

Both happen to me, but not too often, but still happen!:lol:

Your white ball when you pick it up on your brush should look like a spiky snow ball,
mine looks like chewing gum snowballs that you had as a kid!!!

Where are the grey spots??

If they are on the white, it could be that you white application is uneven in zone 1 and then you are pulling the pink over zone 1 slightly (we all do it!) and when filing, you have not removed all the pink that's been pulled over

Both happen to me, but not too often, but still happen!:lol:

this makes sense i do pull the pink over the top, im just doing this all wrong! I NEED MY TRAINING! :irked::irked::irked:

It sounds to me that you are not buffing enough, sometimes the product can look grey and dull, when all it needs is extra buffing, you need to make sure you start with nothing harsher than a 180 grit hotshot abrasive, then a 240 grit, Koala, use solar oil with the 1200 side of a koala, then remove oil and buff with a glossing block or buffer. You may not have these files, but there are alternatives out there. Most of our beginners are frightened of buffing too much, but just try going over the nails again - if it doesnt make any difference it may be that your white powder was too wet. There are many tutorials on here that you can look at.
Good luck with your training

When you apply your zone 2 bead, place it just above the smile line and pat & press across to each side then with the belly of the brush, holding it kind of flat 180 degrees ish! press & pat it so it butts against the smile instead of pulling it over the smile.
When it's in place you can quickly & lightly stroke it over to sculpt the area and smooth it out.

Brush control - it should be angled upwards in zone 1 to help create the stress area, flat in zone 2 and angled down when doing zone 3 to help make it disappear as in Gigi's tutorial.

Does that make any sense - I'm on my 2nd home made gin & tonic!:lol:

Latest posts

Back