Gym!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missljw

Reaction score
So I've been saying for ages I'm going to start the gym but never actually have! But finally tomorrow in going to join and I can't wait!

How many of you geeks love going to the gym? I can't wait to see some results (I've not got much weight to lose but need to tone up and generally do it for good health!) what's your fav thing to do? Do you find it's best to go alone or with someone for motivation?

So I've been saying for ages I'm going to start the gym but never actually have! But finally tomorrow in going to join and I can't wait!

How many of you geeks love going to the gym? I can't wait to see some results (I've not got much weight to lose but need to tone up and generally do it for good health!) what's your fav thing to do? Do you find it's best to go alone or with someone for motivation?

Hiya! I love the gym, in stages. As soon as I don't go for two days I dread it!! Lol.
Each to their own but I definitely prefer to go with a friend. I find it motivates me and takes my mind off what I'm doing!
I hate the treadmill, and the cross trainer, and the bike... Haha. I like the stepper! And they have this arm machine but also like doing floor work, situps etc for your core. And then a swim and steam room after :)
X

Hiya! I love the gym, in stages. As soon as I don't go for two days I dread it!! Lol.
Each to their own but I definitely prefer to go with a friend. I find it motivates me and takes my mind off what I'm doing!
I hate the treadmill, and the cross trainer, and the bike... Haha. I like the stepper! And they have this arm machine but also like doing floor work, situps etc for your core. And then a swim and steam room after :)
X

I'm hoping to go 3 days a week, I don't want it to seem like a chore tho! Hopefully my friend is going to join me, I'm not sure if I will feel like an idiot on my own! Haha I've used the bike before and hated it! But quite like the cross trainer!

I try to go 3-4 times a week after work, but sometimes I just work out at home. Tend to do minimal cardio (I get bored) and mainly do weights. It earns me some very weird looks! ;)

I attempted to do some stuff at home but sitting watching tele was much more appealing! Hopefully paying will motivate me to go! Lol

Where I'm going the women's it separate to the men so hopefully I will be more comfortable!

I have a love/hate relationship with the gym. I hate to go but once I get going I'm fine. I try to go three times a week. I prefer to go by myself as I feel I get more done. I HATE the rowing machine!!!! I don't mind anything else. I do a spin class during the week as I feel it helps give me a break from the regular gym routine. I LOVE spin. I never thought I would say that but I do love it. It's open me to trying other class's that I thought I might not like. The instructor absolutely kills me but sometimes I don't workout as hard as I should in the main gym so I need that extra push.

I think that's how I will end up!! I've heard stories about the spin classes, they sound hard work! Lol I'm so unfit atm don't think I will be trying it for a while!

I am a personal trainer & fitness instructor & I love the gym.

Try out the classes for your cardio as its less boring than the machines in the gym & you will work harder in a class.

Make sure yuo do some resistance training as well. Either do a bodypump class or get them to do you a free weights programme in the gym. Always use free weights in stead of machines whenever you can.

Get an instructor to show you some abs/core exercises on the stability ball.

Enjoy it & give me a shout if you need any help or advice x

Probably a bit late but I was going to say do a bit of negotiating with your membership you really do not have to get locked in for years anymore and also negotiate price. The gym I go to when I listen in the sauna everyone seems to be on a different price scale depending on keenness

I think that's how I will end up!! I've heard stories about the spin classes, they sound hard work! Lol I'm so unfit atm don't think I will be trying it for a while!

I am so unfit it's just sad. Try the spin class though. I don't think many people realize you can go at your own pace. You can stand up, sit down and make it as hard or easy as you want. The class is hard work but I LOVE it. That is saying something. Give it a chance and go a couple of times before you decide. I felt so much better and found my workouts in the gym were much better after I started doing spin.

I've been out of the gym for *coughs* about 8 yrs but must say Cath above has really helped me devise a programme again... Which I am grateful for, can't get any better than an expert offering advice.

I have only been a week but loving it again..
I log my exercises into jetfit app it would help you keep a track
Good luck x

Give spinning a try. I teach it & its for all levels. It is a hard class, but if you're not going to work hard then whats the point in going?
When you first do a class, you may find you cant do all of the hill climbs, but you can just stay seated & pedal until you are ready to join in again. You will very quickly see an improvement in fitness. Also, its a great calorie burner :)

Thanks everyone will take on board your tips! Will definitely try spin class too.

I will see how I get on but will remember your here cath if i need some help, thank you!

Had my first day yesterday and loved it so far... Wasn't there long but felt like I was dying haha how long do you work out for each time you go?

Latest posts

Back