Hair extensions training, not a hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your opinion or advice neither bothers or applies to me i was simply stating that the same old rants are posted almost every day. And sometimes not in the best of taste. I aware its a forum. And whilst i respect and understand your opinion, i believe a bit of grace and tact can go a long way. Educate yes. But children don't listen to shouting. And i think this applies here! That would be my opinion.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

Grace and tact have never been my forte .

Oh and to GIGGLER the VTCT will be with lush-us . They are currently working out the locations at present but ask for Amy @ lush-us if you want to talk about training.

Last edited:
The Lush-Us VTCT course will be a residential course I believe and I can manage to arrange for family to come and stay for a few days with hubby and kids to help out while I am away :D

Oh and to GIGGLER the VTCT will be with lush-us . They are currently working out the locations at present but ask for Amy @ lush-us if you want to talk about training.

Oh I don't plan to do extensions! I'm not a great fan if I'm honest. I was just wondering how far someone would be willing to travel to do a course that's out next year opposed to being a year ahead now in a government run college. Curiosity!

Anyone else noticed there's stacks of these threads at the mo. All circling round the same issues.. Whether it be nails, hair, beauty. There's a whole lot of geeky frustration going on!! Lol!

As a qualified hairdresser, a qualified extensionist and a qualified wigmaker, I feel I have a valid perspective on this recurring argument. I too see bad extensions all the time.
From what I have read on here, I know that the one day course non hairdressers (even the ones who call them selves hair pro's) are spectacularly unaware of the hair they are using, the methods they are using, and the potential for issues to arise.

I think that there is no point me continually typing out what remy hair actually means, or how it is obtained. There is no point me typing out yet again the issues of non precious metal against skin and hair.

I think that Lucelastic and I need to bow out of this arguement as nobody listens. All the one day non hairdressers are concerned with are the ££££ signs in their eyes. They are not dealing with the bald patches or sobbing clients like we are in the aftermath.

If you were a hairdresser, you would have a different perspective.
If you were a qualified wigmaker, you would have a different perspective on the hair you are buying.

This is my last word on the subject. Please watch the film slumdog millionaire, thats how they get your cheap "remy" hair. Kids foraging combings off rubbish dumps. Exploited, made ill and suffering. That is the real cost of your lack of a real education. It is REALLY HAPPENING.

Giggler - the VTCT course is a residential course so i would travel there, stay to complete to course and then travel home. The hairdressing would be me starting NVQ 1 for a year, NVQ 2 for a year and so on and would mean my travelling daily to college which I can ill afford to do especially with fuel costs and childcare costs etc not to mention the 18 month waiting lists some colleges seem to have for anything beauty or hair related :(

Giggler - the VTCT course is a residential course so i would travel there, stay to complete to course and then travel home. The hairdressing would be me starting NVQ 1 for a year, NVQ 2 for a year and so on and would mean my travelling daily to college which I can ill afford to do especially with fuel costs and childcare costs etc not to mention the 18 month waiting lists some colleges seem to have for anything beauty or hair related :(

Where are u?! On an oil rig?! Lol!!! ;) where I live there's weekly night courses.. Few hours a week.. Im sure they offer this across the board..Something to look into maybe?

lol I may as well be sometimes - I am right on the edge of Thetford forest in a little village. Our nearest "corner" shop is over 5 miles away!!! xx

Oh dear! Lol!! "just popping to the shop hunny.. Be back in 4 hours!!.. And that's if Bigfoot doesn't kidnap me first!" lol! ;)

I think grace and tact are fortes that could be considered important in this business

Oh dear! Lol!! "just popping to the shop hunny.. Be back in 4 hours!!.. And that's if Bigfoot doesn't kidnap me first!" lol! ;)

lmao night time I ain't going nowhere haha there are no streetlights and when we first moved here, I saw a big cat ( think it was a lynx? ) eating a bit of roadkill on the sides of one of the lanes!!! Enough reason to not go out alone for me xx

lmao night time I ain't going nowhere haha there are no streetlights and when we first moved here, I saw a big cat ( think it was a lynx? ) eating a bit of roadkill on the sides of one of the lanes!!! Enough reason to not go out alone for me xx

Bet u don't have a cat flap either!! Lol I woulda laid an egg!! Pmsl x

This whole argument is so ridiculous I had to even reply to it this late at night!!! You guys are coming down way to hard on lucelastic here who merely stated her opinion!!! Also I think that Persianista is a bit harsh in saying if you don't have the right qualifications you don't know where your hair is from and potentially exploiting people. Yes it can be true in some cases but not everyone is cut from the same cloth and do take time to research. We really need to stop thinking were all made from the same mold and realise some people are passionate about it and that there are different paths to the same goal, like lucelastic who first found her passion for extensions and then qualified as a hairdresser! We all have different paths to find what is right for us in life and work.

People come to a forum to seek help, whether or not they go the same path you did does not mean its the only way. I am proud of my degrees just like you are but I am also happy to help people who are not as fortunate as me with time and money and realise we're not all the same and can go the same path. Knowledge is power but we also need to see the power in helping others and guiding them the right way rather than barking at them, telling them off, which I feel happens way too often on here!! I for one would respond better to someone kindly telling me what to do, mentoring me, rather than shoot me down for my supposed ignorance. I think too many people on here are too snowed in that their way is the right way and the only way and fail to see different options. Just because a client had a bad experience with a non hairdresser doesn't mean it's the one were taking to on the forum and give us the right blame it all on them! But I do agree some non hairdresser extensionists do get a bit cocky and think they know it all especially in these threads and should listen to the pros, but at the same time I can understand why they don't when all they get back is discouraging comments and rants.

I am not slandering anyone but I have only been on here for a little while and this forum is already making me upset. I can take criticism but some people on here honestly make me afraid of posting especially if I get shot down like lucelastic, who is a great person who has helped so many on here's and should not apologise for anything! Please be a bit more gentle and realise we are not all the same. I realise some things frustrate you, and believe me I have the crying clients that have had awful experiences. But instead of telling someone off, tell them why it would be a better option for them to study hairdressing rather than just telling them they are wrong. Maybe it is just me but I would rather be told off nicely :)

Last edited:
Who's arguing??? Everyone has either given their opinion (which the OP asked for), given constructive criticism or advised. I don't see why uve got yourself upset??

It's a forum.. Expect different opinions from different angles. Like uve said, we are all different.. So some might think differently to you. I think all this proves is how passionate we are about our careers.. Don't lose any sleep over it! :)

I agree with The Extensionist. I think there are a few on here that are a little to quick to jump on the band wagon, at the end of the day people come on here for advice and, from experience, some of the replies are a little harsh.

At least people are asking for help and trying to do the right thing.

In every aspect of hair and beauty there are people in it for the money and not the quality, no matter how fully or unqualified they are. These people are always gonna be there and as they go out of business another shady individual with take over. Thats life, ultimately the only thing that makes you the best in your field is dedication and PRACTICE. Take the time to learn as much as you can and practice as much as humanly possible and be realistic in your abilities. Only then can you start to advertise and charge people. You cannot do a 2/3 day course and expect to know all you need to know, that is just your first step on a long road but its down to you to motivate yourself to carry on educating yourself to do this so you can provide top a notch service.

Also, if i were spending that sort of money on something i would want to see examples of work and would ask plenty of questions on after care, the persons experience and qualifications etc

If the public didnt want everything so cheap and instant then these people wouldnt be in business.

Hi hun I am not a hairdresser but did my training with Belle hair extensions.
Yes you will get bald patches if you don't install them properly but that is the whole point on doing a training course. They are qualified to teach you and will teach you the right ways of putting then in.
Not a lot of hairdressers offer these in my area anyway so I get quite a lot of business from them.
Good luck! Xx

I agree with The Extensionist. I think there are a few on here that are a little to quick to jump on the band wagon, at the end of the day people come on here for advice and, from experience, some of the replies are a little harsh.

At least people are asking for help and trying to do the right thing.

In every aspect of hair and beauty there are people in it for the money and not the quality, no matter how fully or unqualified they are. These people are always gonna be there and as they go out of business another shady individual with take over. Thats life, ultimately the only thing that makes you the best in your field is dedication and PRACTICE. Take the time to learn as much as you can and practice as much as humanly possible and be realistic in your abilities. Only then can you start to advertise and charge people. You cannot do a 2/3 day course and expect to know all you need to know, that is just your first step on a long road but its down to you to motivate yourself to carry on educating yourself to do this so you can provide top a notch service.

What a Lovely reply! X

Also, if i were spending that sort of money on something i would want to see examples of work and would ask plenty of questions on after care, the persons experience and qualifications etc

If the public didnt want everything so cheap and instant then these people wouldnt be in business.

Here here xxx

I have been fitting hair extensions for 7 years going into my eight year and I am a non hairdresser. I have always run my hair extension business part time as I had a main job in housing support. For the last three years my client base has increased and I worked every night and weekend fitting hair extensions in a little studio in my house. In july this year I moved to a smaller house and could no longer work from home so decided to rent a room in a building which used to be a beauty salon. I decorated it and put new flooring down bought new furniture but after a month I knew it was a wrong place for me as new clients couldnt find the address. I decided to take a small shop near my home and I moved into this shop in July just offering hair extensions and its been the best move for me. I have had the shop fitted out and everybody who comes in loves it. I have taken redundancy from my main job and am now working in the salon full time.

A few years ago I decided that I would take a course in hairdressing and enrolled on an evening course, after a few months it wasnt for me, the college was totally disorganised and the tutors where useless, too many students in the class and it was total chaos. I left.
Last year in 2010 I decided to try another college so I started yet again another hairdressing course, in February this year I was completely worn out as I had just taken too much on, working full time, hair extensions every night and weekend and also pretipping hair for my own clients, other hair extension technicians and hairdressers and a couple of hair suppliers across the country had taken its toll on me. So I decided to finish college and carry on as normal. I was frustrated with myself and felt a bit sad that I had not completed the courses. The financial impact aswell on this was massive as the courses are not cheap.

So now I have my own hair extension salon and am in here full time I have decided that I am going to sign up for hairdressing but with a company who comes into my salon and they assess me this way. But can only start this later in the year as I am due to have some major surgery in February.

My passion lies with hair extensions and this is all I want to do but I suppose having the hairdressing qualification will be better my knowledge. I was actually surprised at how much knowledge I had gained i the short months I had attended the hairdressing courses.

I have spent my whole time researching everything about hair extensions and will carry on doing this so that I can offer the best service to my clients.

I have never thought that being a Hair Extension Technician would make me a rich person like some people do who start in this business. To be honest its a passion for me and I love everything about it. My salon has become quite well known around my area now and I am getting lots of new business who have come away from other salons which i think does say a lot. I also get a lot of work by word of mouth and clients have travelled from long distances to see me which I am thrilled about.

I hope to continue on in this field for quite a while but you never know what the future holds for you. I intend to do more training and be as succesful as I have a fire in my belly and I will be half a century old yep 50 in about ten weeks time so heres counting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back