Hair Extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hev

Reaction score
Hey girls, ok my friend turned up with these fab hair extensions the other day. They are human hair weaved in!
I have booked to get mine done on the 20th May, im going to a afro acrribean hair dressers, i was abit scared to go in there first of all as thought they'd think i was strange but there was loads of people in there mixed race so not just for afro-carribean people!

Apparently they are better for your hair as they are not glued, they are £120 for the hair and fitting 3 rows! which i thought was brilliant, considering i wrung round and had been quoted upto £750 for bonded hair extensions, how stupid is that price!
the maintainance is £10 whenever you feel them come loose, should last 3 months but for a tenner worth getting the tightened once a month!!

Has anyone had any experiences with hair extensions??????/ My hair is shoulder length so will only got to my mid back!

If they are any good i will post pics and if anyone lives in essex and wants them done ill recommend them! x

Although i love hair extensions,they should not really cause much damage they are not great for your hair either,damage would be caused by poor aplication.

Method of application is down to individual taste,and the desired end look of the extensions,hope i am not being too general.

Feel free to pm me with any other questions!

i dont know a great deal about them, just know i want them to look natural, do you think they'll be ok weaved ones? x

ohhps my signature is a little large lol

Again,that really depends on application,and how good/experienced your stylist is hun ! xx

hi my daughters had weaves9 done in a carribian shop ) and found them ok but because the plait (the one they sew the hair to ) was so tight she didnt like it i now do her extensions using bonds and she fine both are great as long as the person doing them knows what they are doing.

In my experience, bonds are better for your hair than weaves.

The hair being so tightly plaited causes stress to the follicle, and to the actual hair as it's being forced into a shape it wouldn't normally assume (i.e, v.tight waves).

But as has been said above, neither methods should cause a lot of damage to your hair.

And if you don't like them, you can always get them taken out! You sound really excited about them, so definitely go get them done girl!:)

I have had weaves, bonding and racoon extension that i am earing no.

Bonding.........glued onto scalp between sections of hair. Teporary for maybe a week or two.

Weaves- can last up to 3 months depending on how you take car of youe hair. Your own hair is plaited and the wefts are sewn onto the plaits. You are limited in the styles that you can do at home with your weave, you have to make sure that wen having your hair up the wefts etc are covered. If its down, when the wind blows your wefts show.

Racoon - single extensions bonded onto your own hair. I prefer these as i can treat it like y own hair and i can style it in any way as i would my on hair. I wash y hair every 2 days and they are easy to maintain. I pay £300 for mine to be done and unless i tell you no one knos the difference.

I kno the national trainer for racoon and she charges £250 to fit them as long as you supply the hair which you can may any amount for depending on hat you want.

Just a tip, if you were going to have a full weave done, dont forget to purchase a parting piece, forgot the proper name for it, basically it is placed where you want your parting in the weave to be, but it looks like your scalp rather than your parting done by where the wefts are placed. It's more natural. I guess i am really lucky as my good friend that i ahve done photoshoots with etc before is the weave stylist of the year, and has just opened a salon in the kings road.

I have spent loads on myhair before, some disasters and a lot amazing.

HTH

Good luck

Philippa

Just to point out 'bonding' isn't sticking hair to the scalp. This would be potentially dangerous and near on impossible.

'Bonded' extensions is a term for all extensions where the hair is attached a centimetre or two away from the scalp using extension bonds or a glue gun. Racoon falls under this category of hair extension. Although Racoon hair is the most beautiful I have ever seen or worn, the bonds are renowned for shedding. Balmain micro bonds are the best, although Balmain hair isn't!

Racoon hair + Balmain bonds = wonderful extensions in my opinion!

I hope all this info is helping hev!

OMG im very scared! the girl in there had them in and had fine hair like mine, she said some people say they feel tight.

i dont want to walk around with a bad head ache!! im slightly worried as i dont want to waste £120 if i dont like them, i mean think how much nail stuff i could buy. Im excited as iv been trying to grow it for ages! my worry is washing, i was my hair every day im not going to be able to do that.. am i??
:cry: :cry: how bought washing the top bit maybe?? and my fringe, lol??

Im only having 3 rows, ohh im nervouse!!

my bf says i dont need to bother but its something new aint it!!

dont think id want to spend more than 120 on hair extensions, lol!! id just be thinking hmm, i could do another nail course with that! haha tight cow aint i!!
i wear my hair down most of the time but was hoping to be able to ty up every now and then
what do you think go for it or not??

Oh god darling!

If you weren't so excited and really wanting them, I might try and advise you against.

Unless you have a hairdresser on hand, extensions can be tricky sometimes! Washing them every day isn't advisable, but you can wash a couple of times a week....all depends on the quality of the hair you have in also....

Have them done dammit! You cna always get them taken out, there shouldn't be noticeable damage. If you don't have them done you'll always want them!

If you were closer to me, I'd say come into our salon, our hairdresser's the source on extensions :)

Ok Amy deman

Maybe you are a hairdresser or something,

but in terms of my experience in an afro salon which was being talked about within the original question..................bonding is done with wefts that is attatched to your scalp in between sections of hair. The hair sometimes lifts due to the heat that the scalp generates.

My extensions are not glued in.........they use a special wax that is kinder to the hair.................maybe its a salon thing as in terms of using the wax instead of glue....cant answer that............again just going by MY experience.

I think they're might be some sort of miscommunication regarding the terms we are using?

'Bonds' to me are anything that attaches hair extensions by means of wax/glue whatever you'd like to call it. It is actually neither, but like a mixture of both....glue you would not be able to get out, wax would be out as soon as you washed your hair!

Wefts are braided into the hair.

If you check the Racoon website, Philippa, Racoon use the term 'bonding' when describing the application of their hair extensions.

I am certainly not a hairdresser! I work closely with the hair extensionist in my salon, and have been wearing extensions for four years, though had mine taken out three months ago for good (I think....).

Hev....I am so sorry for hijacking your thread darling. Hopefully this misunderstanding is cleared up now.

no worries, didnt realise extensions were such a hot topic, lol!!
ok well ill go for it!! fingers crossed for me though!!

Ill post pictures on the 20th!!

oh one other thing, im having my hair coloured on the 15th, i sometimes have chunks of brown put in, shall i just have my normal head of hightlights, as when they take the colour match ill have some odd brown chuinks, also they said have my hair coloured first then go in for consultation, is this right, im worried that my natural hair fades after about4 weeks, will it look odd then xx

Yes i would do the colour 1st as you need to get a good colour match, but i would normaly only do te top 3rd of my hair, as i can keep getting it coloured while still having the extensions in.

I have my natural brunette hair from about the top of the ear downwards, but the rest highlights with various different blondes.

I use 4 different colours of hair for the extensions, but i am really happy with it.

Make sure of the look you want to acheive and go from there.

sounds silly but have you got a picture ??

Hiya, I have fusion. some pics in my gallery of the current ones. I love them.
My friend has the weave but hers were REALLY tight when they were put in. and they didn't look quite right when she wore hers up,. i can wear mine straight, curly, up, down. whatever,

I have had some and I might sound like a downer here ......but I would never have them again.....they were weaved into my own via little corn rows ( that were REALLY tight ) ...the hair was (sewed ) weaved in was dyed to match my own ......I could feel them with my hands....they were hard to brush my hair ...but most of all my head broke out in these tiny blisters where the rows were .....It wasn't from lack of drying my hair I was just having an allergic reaction to the dye or something ....I only lasted about a week and told her to take them out ....it took about a month and a half to get my head to heal..........that's my story anyway...

Hi,

I am a Hair Extension Technician trained in different systems with my own hair extension salon in Northants. Weaves (whether sewn in or glued in) are not a good move for european hair, they are made for afro carribean hair.

Firstly, if sewn in they are very tightly sewn and this causes both pain and stress at the root of your hair shaft (this is especially an important point if you have fine hair).

Secondly, they will not last as long as other methods as when your natural hair starts to grow, the weft loosens (you may only get 1 month out of them). You have said that your friend has only just had them done, give a little time and they will not look so good.

Thirdly, wefts do not flow with your natural hair and therefore feel and look bulky.

Fourthly, it is impossible to wash them thoroughly and after a little while they begin to smell (a bit like cat wee).

The best system is separate glued in bonds. These look really natural and flow properly with your hair. They are easy to look after and can last up to 6 months.

The best advice that I can give you is to seek out a good Hair Extension Technician and unfortunately there are a lot of bad ones out there.

If I can help you further please ask.

tammyleicester said:
Hiya, I have fusion. some pics in my gallery of the current ones. I love them.
My friend has the weave but hers were REALLY tight when they were put in. and they didn't look quite right when she wore hers up,. i can wear mine straight, curly, up, down. whatever,

They look FAB :)

Latest posts

Back