Hair fads, myths and rumours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reide

IG: Cristyelladoeshair
Reaction score
What do you guys think of those strange myths and fads for hair colour?

Such as the vitamin c pill stripping colour or tomato paste removing unwanted green tones in blond hair.

We've been talking about it a lot at school lately. Especially when we are dealing with colours.

Never heard of vit C stripping colour but tomato ketchup can help blondes that have gone green x

Never heard of vit C stripping colour but tomato ketchup can help blondes that have gone green x

The vitamin C thing does work technically. But I don't know if that's because you have shampoo/detergent left in your hair for an hour-2 hours. People claim it does no damage but it does. I thought I would test it myself on myself to see what happens and it damaged the ends. Not as bad as you would in bleaching though. It only lifted the colour rather then tone. I did use vitamin c pills though which took forever to crush. So it's not really practical. I just wanted to see if it would actually work.

The tomato thing makes sense due to the acids featured in it.

I've also heard of girls with curls not shampooing their hair at all. That's super gross in my opinion

The vitamin C thing does work technically. But I don't know if that's because you have shampoo/detergent left in your hair for an hour-2 hours. People claim it does no damage but it does. I thought I would test it myself on myself to see what happens and it damaged the ends. Not as bad as you would in bleaching though. It only lifted the colour rather then tone. I did use vitamin c pills though which took forever to crush. So it's not really practical. I just wanted to see if it would actually work.

The tomato thing makes sense due to the acids featured in it.

I've also heard of girls with curls not shampooing their hair at all. That's super gross in my opinion

Acids to lift the green tones? It's the strong red pigments in tomatoes that does the work. Remember your hair is acidic and most colours are on the alkaline side of the ph scale.
There are a few old wife's takes such as mayonnaise (due to its protein content from the eggs used), to vinegar for shine (when hair was permed/ coloured using high alcaline products the acidic venegar would close the cuticle, now conditioners do that for us).
We now have products made for hair to replace all the old tales. X

Sunshine, Daisy's, rainbows and smiles

Acids to lift the green tones? It's the strong red pigments in tomatoes that does the work. Remember your hair is acidic and most colours are on the alkaline side of the ph scale.
There are a few old wife's takes such as mayonnaise (due to its protein content from the eggs used), to vinegar for shine (when hair was permed/ coloured using high alcaline products the acidic venegar would close the cuticle, now conditioners do that for us).
We now have products made for hair to replace all the old tales. X

My school hasn't even taught me about hair acidity :/. Thanks for the correction.

The odd thing about these wifes tails are that people are doing them because it's cheaper. I've tested a few out though and my hair feels really bad afterwards.

My school hasn't even taught me about hair acidity :/. Thanks for the correction.

The odd thing about these wifes tails are that people are doing them because it's cheaper. I've tested a few out though and my hair feels really bad afterwards.

How far through your course are you? It should be taught through shampooing (because the shampoo needs to relate to hair type, check the bottle for ph balanced. It means its 4.5 to 5.5, although I've seen some questionable "pro" shampoos claiming to be 7 which is neutral and over use will damage hair), and again in more detail during colouring theory where you will learn how the ph and the peroxide opens the cuticle to deposit colour/same for perming although it breaks the bonds by being so alkaline, where as an acid perm is more gentle they are less acidic than hair so still need to be neutralised and ph balanced afterwards.

I do use an old wife's tale regularly, that's talc down the backs of children after a cut to stop itching. I even use it on myself if I have a few short cuts in a row to help with what's sticking in my tshirt. X

How far through your course are you? It should be taught through shampooing (because the shampoo needs to relate to hair type, check the bottle for ph balanced. It means its 4.5 to 5.5, although I've seen some questionable "pro" shampoos claiming to be 7 which is neutral and over use will damage hair), and again in more detail during colouring theory where you will learn how the ph and the peroxide opens the cuticle to deposit colour/same for perming although it breaks the bonds by being so alkaline, where as an acid perm is more gentle they are less acidic than hair so still need to be neutralised and ph balanced afterwards.

I do use an old wife's tale regularly, that's talc down the backs of children after a cut to stop itching. I even use it on myself if I have a few short cuts in a row to help with what's sticking in my tshirt. X

Technically I finish in September. I have done most my course at a terrible school and transferred for the remainder. My old school took money and claimed they taught us things they didn't and have now closed but of course I have missed out on some things such as ph levels. But my new school is working really hard (and somewhat breaking their own backs) to help correct my old schools error.

With that talc down the childrens back thing. We use talc on the neck of anyone we use an electric razer on to stop irritation. I wonder if it's related.

Technically I finish in September. I have done most my course at a terrible school and transferred for the remainder. My old school took money and claimed they taught us things they didn't and have now closed but of course I have missed out on some things such as ph levels. But my new school is working really hard (and somewhat breaking their own backs) to help correct my old schools error.

With that talc down the childrens back thing. We use talc on the neck of anyone we use an electric razer on to stop irritation. I wonder if it's related.

So sorry to hear that, it's not nice being fobbed off. Yes the talc will work in the same way, will trial it when trimming to see if it makes much difference. X

Talc was used to instantly dry the skin, and prevent cut hairs sticking, however, it is also used to remove friction against the skin eg chafeing, so makes sense to use with clippers too.

Latest posts

Back