Hair up help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
Hi guys firstly I am not a hair geek but nails and skin so I am just after a bit of advice please. I have waist length hair with layers thru it shortest being shoulder length. I am busy mum of 2 and unless I wash and blow dry my hair 3 times a week (takes over 1hr and half to blo) I struggle to find things to do with my hair, I cant plait and do these fab things you see girls doing with their hair.

So my question really is I have been experimenting lately by putting it in a low part with my side fringe out and pulling up into high pony loosly kinda and then pinning it, but I cant seem to get it to look bulky enough, iygwim ( I have thick hair aswell) how do you get the height do you need 2 ponys and put your loops ontop of each other?? kinda confused, I pull a strand from the pony loop it pin it then the left over hair I pull thru another loop and make a loop an pin somewhere else but looks kinda flat,iygwim.

If anyone could help on giving me direction for simple updos for me that would be great xxx

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If your hair is long enough to pull to the crown (top) of your head, an updo on short hair can be created. Here's a trick: When I'm styling someone with shoulder length or even shorter hair, this is how I get most if not all of the hair up. Instead of tying hair up into one ponytail, which never will work, take small sections of hair, pull to the back and backsides of head. Fasten with small elastics. Use as many as you need. I find I usually use about 6-10 separate ponytails to get all hair up. Don't be afraid, if you style correctly, you'll never see any of the separate sections. And the elastics make a great anchor to stick the pins into. Next, curl or twist hair in each pony and pin. Interlock the ponytails by combining hair from each as you work your way down. No one will ever know you have short hair![/FONT]

Thanks hun although I have waist length hair, would I do the same xxx

hey
i have the same kind of hair and all i do is backcomb it but not loads just so its kind of a loose mess lol!!
pony tail it..
leave your fringe out (do that last)
then backcomb the pony again (use a denman brush) then just pin it scruffy,just grab bits and pin it wherever!! then take your fringe and place it at one side and pin that too.
maybe buy some accesorries too?? flowers. corsage. diamonds all look fab, it always looks nice, people always comment that it must take me ages to do... lol
good luck xxxxxxxx

ps. this always looks nice on the side... for nights out!! xx

Hi, if you like your length you won't need to get any of the length cut at all
you could just have a few soft graduated layers put through the top and still keep your length, then you will get a nice high pony with lots of volume , and it will still be nice and long too, but.... do make sure you go to an experienced stylist who knows how to cut soft swishy graduating layers on ultra long hair,
as you dont want to end up with wispy ends and that awful top heavy look
:) minky

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If your hair is long enough to pull to the crown (top) of your head, an updo on short hair can be created. Here's a trick: When I'm styling someone with shoulder length or even shorter hair, this is how I get most if not all of the hair up. Instead of tying hair up into one ponytail, which never will work, take small sections of hair, pull to the back and backsides of head. Fasten with small elastics. Use as many as you need. I find I usually use about 6-10 separate ponytails to get all hair up. Don't be afraid, if you style correctly, you'll never see any of the separate sections. And the elastics make a great anchor to stick the pins into. Next, curl or twist hair in each pony and pin. Interlock the ponytails by combining hair from each as you work your way down. No one will ever know you have short hair![/FONT]

Would love to see a picture this style sounds great I may have to try it out. What elastics do u use? those no snag ones?? Also do u wrap hair round the bands to hide them? Trying to visualise the finished look, pics would help me! Im not great with my own hair either, end up in a boring ponytail or twisted up in a grab clip and ends spiked out at the top. Great thread and a great suggestion.

Latest posts

Back