Hair up - what to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi all
My daughter has got her prom coming up and as she has got a Grecian style dress she wants her hair up like the pic below. She has got very thick hair with only a few layers and it is just past her bra strap length. Many years ago I used to do a lot of hair ups and on people with thick hair I used to use these round thick clip things with teeth in the middle and I can't remember what they're called! They used to be used for putting Afro hair into a sort of ponytail. Does anyone know what they're called? Are they still around? And my idea was to curl the hair, backcomb, secure at the back with this round thing then pin into a messy bun (will take the plait into the back too) Does this sound about right? Is this round thing what I need to take the weight? I'm happy to take her to a hairdressers instead of me doing it but need to know if I will still need to track this round thing down anyway? Her hair is very heavy and it always drops quickly if its just secured with a ponytail band. Hope this waffling has made sense!
Thanks for your help x

Banana clip???

Banana clip???

Ooh I remember those! No, it was round (not banana shaped :) and was usually a tortoiseshell colour and it un clipped, had teeth in the middle, then you clipped it round the thick ponytail. They were actually made to hold thick Afro ponytails but I used them on any people with thick, heavy hair. I don't even think they had a name back then lol!

Oh ok I know what you mean but no idea what they are called,
Try search on eBay search hair clips

Failing that couldn't you use a thick bobble or two

Oh ok I know what you mean but no idea what they are called,
Try search on eBay search hair clips

Failing that couldn't you use a thick bobble or two

Thanks yes will try ebay. We've tried thick bobbles and even scrunchies but they all drop after an hour. Hmmm this is gonna be harder than I thought!

I know the clips you are on about & I'm sure you can get them in Clare's accessories.

Try primark too, they've got a lot of hair stuff in just now.

Well I went to Claire's and they looked at me blankly when I explained what I was looking for plus I showed them the picture above!

Will look in primark and any old fashioned chemists that may have an original one from the 80's floating about lol

More worrying is that I texted the style over to a hairdresser and she said she wouldn't be able to do it! Is it really too much of a high maintenance style to achieve?

Thanks geekies x

That's a shame. I swear I have seen them in there. Have you tried any Afro hair shops the ones that supply Afro products??

Oh my god i know what you mean!! I used to have them for my hair when i was younger!!

God knows what they where called! I'll ask my mum she used to have thm when she had her 80's perm!

you could sew the hair in? there was a thread on this a few months back, maybe about xmas time! I would curl all the hair and section out maybe 2-3" section all the way round the hair line and maybe more at the top. the remaining middle bit secure with around 5/6 snag free bands in a circular fashion, pin the hair randomly then take the hair from your 2-3" hairline section and pin loosely over the top. It will hold perfectly and wont feel heavy as the weight will be distributed better x hope that rambling explanation helps! xxx

For thick hair i tend to do two ponytails at the crown (one under other) to hold the bulk firmly and pin outter detail around the hair :)
I don't think its a hard one they might just not be experienced with hair up! try another ;) x

Thanks girls. Ok my plan of action is to try and find an Afro shop and hunt down the 80's holder/comb thingie (would help if I even knew what they were called lol!)

Also think this is too much of a job for me and my rusty skills but will have a go at the weekend on darling daughter who will probably be in hysterics at my naff attempt! Tomorrow I am going to the hairdressers I use and will show them the picture and book a trial.

In the meantime if anyone discovers what these hair antiques actually are can someone let me know please :)

Thanks muchly xxxxx

Was it a hair cone? A bit like a walnut whip without the nut lol ill try find a pic xx

This?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368565496.418900.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368565496.418900.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 54
Or one of these?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368565789.759259.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368565789.759259.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 51
Thanks jenimac :)
Unfortunately, it wasn't either of those, but thank you so much for taking the time to help. I went to my hairdressers today and showed them the hair pic and my daughter is going to have a trial next week. They know how heavy her hair is and said if I can't track down the Afro thingie they'll put it in about 3 ponytail bobbles to try and hold the weight and loads of crocodile pins xx

No problem. I'm actually going to try find these and banana clips at the weekend :)
Don't forget to post a pic when it's done :) xx

Latest posts

Back