Hairdressing NVQ 3 or not?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBaby

Reaction score
:biggrin: Hi lovelies

I am about to qualify for my NVQ 2 in July doing part-time evening course.
The college doesn't yet know if they are running level 3 next year which I
was interested in doing till i found out it was going to cost nearly £500!

We are a one wage family at the mo and my view is to keep doing more and more mobile hairdressing to earn a bit of extra money, I can't work in a salon as have a small boy with no childcare...is the level 3 really really essential?
I do just want to work for myself and do basic stuff that I am confident doing. The girls in the salon i volunteer in say the level 3 is a bit of a waste of time and money, but my tutors say it's what you need to be a "proper" stylist. Although the tuition i've had hasn't been fantastic and have had to learn a lot off my own back in my own time anyway.

I'm not entitled to any benefits to get my fees paid as am 36 and over the age that meets the criteria!!!!! What are your professional opinions pls???
considering I can't do salon work and am happy to gradually build clients and confidence over a period of time doing mobile. Are there any advanced courses worth doing??? many thanks for your time for reading this! xxxx

thankyou Butterfly! thats really helpful, just weighing everything up, trying to sort out liability insurance etc too, i thought you were required so many years experience before you could get cover but it looks like in many cases you don't. Thanks!!!!! xx

i was in the exact same situation, i done half of my level 3 with andrew collinge after getting my level 2 with him... 4 years down the line i regret it so much, so i have paid for an evening course to do my level 3.. Only for the future, who knows i may decide into going to teach hair..I have not learnt anything new, but at least i now have my level 3..

Personally i would get it if you can.xx;)

Many Hairdressers now consider level 3 as a waste off time feeling they don’t gain any further skills or knowledge from the qualification.

I found that there were many more options to progress as a hairdresser in the way of skills and in a professional environment, many salons now look for level 3 in a hairdresser. especially if you wish to be senior stylist or management, It could also opens up future career moves if you wish to move away from the salon, teaching is something that would require NVQ3, or working with a colour range or product company on the ranges themselves or in a ambassador role. So I believe it is a great investment, if you have the chance to complete level 3 I say go for it!

As a salon owner I would recommend you go for your level 3. I would generally say to have a year on the floor and then go for your level 3. In your case, however, I would recommend you do it straight away. I give this recommendation because you are intending to go mobile and the first year of being qualified really needs to be in a salon so you can pick up tips from other stylists. As it is not feasible for you to be in a salon you can work on improving your skills, in a salon environment, with other stylists.

As you are a one wage family, I presume you are getting WTC? If you are, then the course will be subsidised. You will have to pay some, but not all of the fee.

I would ignore anybody that says it is a waste of time. Level 3 is about improving and applying the skills you have learned. Too many hairdressers do NVQ 2 and think they know it all and couldn't possibly learn any more. As an employer I would not employ anyone who didn't have a level 3 or was willing to work towards one.

Hi ZooBaby,
I must admit I found level three a bit hard on family life , but if you have plenty of to time to dedicate yourself to the mounds of paper work involved then that's fine ..... as trust me you will get cobwebs in the house ,
but if you have a young child and haven't got much time to spare and also you need to earn a living ....

then I would definitely think twice about doing it as does affect your family time ... and with having such a young Son I think he would need you around more :hug:

Perhaps go for some shorter advanced cutting and colouring courses ?
these may be more beneficial to you and your present family circumstances....

Also if they do the level three next year , they do allow you to do the level three Advanced Colouring course on its own , it might be worth asking about...

Would I do it again if I knew what it was all about ,
my answer is NO!.... I wouldn't because I found the paper work too tedious ....I would only do the level three advanced Colouring part which I liked more
or go on an advanced Colouring course and perhaps Advanced cutting courses ....

But .... if you own a salon or want to teach people then yes its a good thing as it involves risk Assesment and loads of health and safety issues staff advice stock advice ..... and on and on it goes with the paper work :zzz: hth :) minky

You will need more xp than just a lvl 2 to do freelance hairdressing , if you dont do your lvl 3 , then think about joining the FHBF , as they run courses, local(ish) groups , and are always at the end of the phone if you have any concerns.

There isn't half the paperwork now, Minky, for Level 3. They ditched assignments and such 2 years ago.

I had soooooo much writtenw ork in my level 3.

i enjoyed the practical but glad to hear now there is less written.

I would do it. Good experience, and well worth it. xx

I think that if you are in a salon amongst other experienced hairdressers, level 3 is not really needed. For someone who has no intention to join a salon, It is a necessity as you do not have experienced colleagues on tap to help you.

There isn't half the paperwork now, Minky, for Level 3. They ditched assignments and such 2 years ago.

Phew that's good , it was making me tired just thinking about all that paper work again , :lol: lol

Oohh i am glad i did mine it really helped with confidence

Thanks for all your replies they're really helpful. :)

It's good to hear a mixed view of it. However it all comes down to cost at the
moment. We are a one wage family but as my hubby earns just over the threshhold for the tax credits etc we don't get any benefits...middle incomes and all that.

So spending what i haven't got on a course, which i find out now (the evening level 3 i was thinking of doing) isn't going to run because of low numbers anyway so that's that! I may get chance in the future when we have some money to do level 3 but for now I'm going to do some more shorter courses when i can afford it and keep up to date as much as i can.

And also not bite off more than i can chew! I am definately going to take things slowly and gradually build up experience as much as i can. If i feel i'm not yet confident to do a certain style or colour I'm just going to be honest and say so, i won't be blagging it as I know how it feels when someone messes with your hair without a clue about what they're doing.

It is harder to get work as a junior stylist when your in your mid-thirties, and it is so true that you lack confidence to work for someone else as you know it's their business and clientelle that's at stake! I have been working as a volunteer in a salon and the owner has offered me to maybe work saturdays when i qualify. I am so scared of doing that though, as she has a real solid client base and i am a zillion times less experienced than her younger stylists!

thanks for all your comments i do appreciate them!!! Z xxxxxxxxx

Oh my god it all sounds so scarry. I am 36 years old and a mother of 3, they are 15,12 and 6. I am still in the stages of deciding whether or not to go to my local college to do my course or to go to an academy and pay for each individual NVQ. I'm worried as to how much actual hands on experience you get at either establishment. I also don't fancy spending a whole academic year assisting in washing hair and working on a reception desk and not even cutting hair, all this while being surrounded by school leavers who I am old enough to be their mothers. Anyone got any advice Please.

you will need to wash hair, its part of learning hairdressing. however, iv found, its down to the individuals determination as to what you gain from a college. iv got a girl whos on day placement with me who was given a colour wheel, printed in black and white. wtf!?!?! but she wants to learn so she is learning from me. its what you want to gain from the college in my opnion/. xxx

I don't agree that NVQ level 3 is essential for being a freelance hairdresser I qualified last May in level 2 and now rent a small room in a salon self employed and I have no other ladies hairdressers working with me..I feel if your confident enough to go out there on your own...do it! I'm glad I did I've come so far since I left college and have built up a large clientele in the space of a year...if your worried about advanced cutting styles and colouring styles you can enquire at your local wholesalers for small top up courses that cost between £15 - £150 that can last a day or a week or so that will teach you equally as much and most offer diplomas at the end of the courses to prove your qualification...(much more cost effective) also the colour range I use colorly offer a 24hr helpline so if you get stuck with anything you can speak to somebody... and if in doubt if you dont think your capable to carry out a service with confidence...dont attempt it you can refuse at he end of the day...its not a crime
hope this helps x :D

Latest posts

Back