Hand painted nail art - with a message ;-)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Russia, even CND is big into nail art :eek:. They are also successful in nail art competitions and even won a couple of years ago at Nailympics. Contrary to popular opinion, not all Russians wear nail art, the majority have French..
French can also be artistic ;).

at least with Minx the artwork is done for you and you know it will be consistent and perfect on all 10 nails.

I personally don't like exactly this - 'consistency' when all fingers are the same - it looks ready-made to me and ---> cheap. With handpainted nail art you can create complex designs.
I'd prefer freehand - but then I don't have to pay for it :lol:.

I think that is a wee bit unfair, have you tried Minx yourself? I was at a party on Saturday night, wearing Minx and was asked how long it had taken me to paint my nails! :lol:

I am a lover of nail art btw, and do a lot of it on myself and the select few clients who want it. However Minx is another avenue for me and my business. :)

I haven't. I am not even sure we have Minx proper here. But we have a lot of different stickers and other ready-made art stuff. I don't like it. Because it spells 'ready-made'. And I like something creative. ))

I don't doubt Minx may be a good service to offer in some cases.
That was just my personal oppinion of it - btw.

And I don't think that Geeg's clients, e.g., who din't want to wear her floral art, would suddenly choose to wear Minx - quite the reverse. :lol: I think they'd sooner choose her handpainted flowers than Minx - may be mistaken, I don't know.
While those who choose Minx may very well be the potential clients for nail-artists.

How long did it take Iryana to do these?
Hi there! It takes 1 hour to paint on both hands.But of course, i dont paint exactly the same on 10 fingers, i prefer,like Ris said different designs with the same theme. I think its more artistic.

Sometimes customers ask me to paint or decorate 1 or 2 fingers, it takes 10-15 min and i can earn extra money. I do nailart,because i love it, these designs (what you saw) its more for competition, i like to compete as well;-) But i have few customers (OMG!!in Sweden,who wants real nailart on 10 fingers;-)

I agree with Bob doing nailart, makes naitechs image better, even,if not all customers do want nailart. I charge 20-30%more for french nails, then others salons, because of my skills. I dont say, that everybody must like nailart, i am here to share with people, who are passionate about nailart!

Last edited:
what kind of nail art costs £150?
and how long would it take to do?

This particular lady wanted a miniature floral design of mixed flowers on each and every nail ... I told her it would take me about an hour and a half to complete and that it would cost her 150.00 .. she paid. It was 15.00 per nail.

I actually think that is very reasonable! For the skill that goes into the art alone - added to the skill of the nail enhancements, if I could afford it, I would have this type of thing. I am lucky that I can practice on my own hands forever more but I am still not so good haha

( I actually collect thimbles Geeg for my best friend's gran who is an avid collector :))

I personally don't like exactly this - 'consistency' when all fingers are the same - it looks ready-made to me and ---> cheap. With handpainted nail art you can create complex designs.
I'd prefer freehand - but then I don't have to pay for it :lol:.

You are right that is is ready made, but it really does not look cheap. It may not look hand done but it looks very good and has a depth to it that is pretty stunning.

In any case, as you know, Ris .. it isn't what we think that counts .. it is what the client thinks, and when they see the likes of Beyoncé and Lady gaga and Pink etc wearing and shouting about how much they love Minx (primarily on their fingers incidentally) people are asking for it by name.

One couldn't pay for the publicity these veneers are getting on a continual basis in the press. That is good for salon business and that is what interests me .. that technicians are successful in their salons.

My nail tech friend here in Moraira is making an extra 200.00+ per week in her salon since she introduced Minx to her clients. That is good business and that is what I am interested in. I really couldn't care less if it is hand done or pre-fabricated .. if the clients are buying I am selling.

In any case, as you know, Ris .. it isn't what we think that counts .. it is what the client thinks, and when they see the likes of Beyoncé and Lady gaga and Pink etc wearing and shouting about how much they love Minx (primarily on their fingers incidentally) people are asking for it by name.
Yep, they probably think - if I wear this will be more like Beyonce :lol:.

You are right that is is ready made, but it really does not look cheap. It may not look hand done but it looks very good and has a depth to it that is pretty stunning.

I didn't mean to say it 'looked' cheap, rather that it would feel cheap for me to wear it, personally, because it looks ready-made.
That's all.
But then if you make french nails cutting out Minx - and it's a different story. :hug:

The Black Eyed PEas new video shows Fergie wearing her Minx on her fingers and it looks amazing :)

I love nail art BUT and yes there is a but its a limited market so yes its nice to be able to offer it and every now and then a client will want it but the majority DONT they prefer french or like others have said Minx because it is quick to apply and can be changed when needed.

One couldn't pay for the publicity these veneers are getting on a continual basis in the press. That is good for salon business and that is what interests me .. that technicians are successful in their salons.

My nail tech friend here in Moraira is making an extra 200.00+ per week in her salon since she introduced Minx to her clients. That is good business and that is what I am interested in. I really couldn't care less if it is hand done or pre-fabricated .. if the clients are buying I am selling.

Pink also wears nail art. NH - Nails

And guess who trained the nail techs at this salon and also at the other top salon in Sweden? :lol: Both of these salons have international competition champions in French.

Pink also wears nail art. NH - Nails

And guess who trained the nail techs at this salon and also at the other top salon in Sweden? :lol: Both of these salons have international competition champions in French.

Darling,you forgot to mention J Lo,since she done her nailart nails in South Amerika,she wears very often designed nails;-)Minx done right marketing,they started from Hollywood;-) Personaly i like Minx on toes,i have them right now,but fingers-forget it,i tried.. its lasts few days and with our job(personally,i dont use gloves) it lasts even less...But i am glad if its helps nailtechs to earn money,but its not unigue ,everybody can do it. And i met already in US another company who started already type of same material.

The whole thing with nail art it, it comes down to the personality of the client, some love it some hate it. It doesn't bother me either way. If I can provide a service that is needed I will do it but charge for it. :)

Right! You are offering a wider range of services to your clients!

Can I put my head on the chopping board and ask you this. Even those clients who hate nail art (do you really mean hate or just simply wouldn't wear it) do they respect you more because you can do it?

Great question Bob, when I say hate, they don't hate it, they admire greatly what I do, I should have worded that a lot better sorry. They look, they admire and then say nah I could never wear that.

However, some start by having an odd gem or too and before you know it they are wanting colours and all sorts :lol:

It is the same when I do 3D stuff they are amazed, not that it would go on nails but it shows what I can do with my product. OMG I sound like look at me now! :o I am not believe me, I just love to try everything. :)

That's exactly the same reaction Iryna gets from those customers who won't wear nail art. Increased respect means you are differentiating yourself from the competition and ultimately can charge more for French.

What you will also find is that some of those who didn't want it do convert in time, even if it's a simple white motif on two nails. It's important to be able to show lots of examples so they can see what is possible - most customers have never seen it before or only seen very bright garish stuff.

Good for you! :hug:

most customers have never seen it before or only seen very bright garish stuff.

This is true!

Much of the nail-art I see either on people or on the techs' www-sites is tasteless, garish and not very 'technical'. Couldn't win me over with that sort of nail-art although I always try to see behind the image and look for what it was meant to look like - I appreciate ideas and designs..

Poor performance can spoil the ultimate impression even if the idea and design are great!

Latest posts

Back